first animation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• first animation

ok i have been working on this sig just as a cool abstract background and i wanted to put animated text on it so i followed the tut and i came up with this

i wanted to use it as my sig but it is to big (just over 150kb)and i was wondering how to make the file smaller

so can anyone awnser that question also any comments/suggestions on the sig
  • Photoshop Users
    Click on File > Save for Web & Devices

This brings you to a screen that allows you to save the image with a different extension and format. (Note: animations should ALWAYS be saved with the .gif extension)

From this menu, you can save your .gif file with different settings. The Settings changes are displayed automatically in the viewing window. Certain settings will alter the quality of the signature.

Keep in mind: The higher the quality, the larger the file size.
    This means you might have to sacrifice the image quality in order to fit the board requirements for file size.

If you're not using Photoshop
    Your Photo Editing Software (with the exception of Microsoft Paint) will usually have alternative quality selections from the Save As menu.

Either Way
    You'll have to play with the settings a little to achieve the desired result.
  • ket i did exactly what u just said and i still could get it any smaller without just completely destroying the quality as it is the quality isnt that good
  • What program do you use to create your sigs?

Since your background is somewhat generic, I'd recommend cropping the sig size if you're unable to lower the quality using your program. I like to use 380x130 for most of my work.

Good effects on the motion. I see that your name is jumping a few pixels at a time during the animation. If that is not be design, then those are the little details you'll need to be aware of in future sigs.

Cheers,
    Rock
  • Sadly so will animations always be higher in filezise. Technically so have you 43 images up there. :)
    Thoug, cause they are similar on the same parts so are the size a bit lower...

Cropping the size would be enough, especially if you want it animated. Save as gif or flash file if you want it animated, though I don't think it's possible to use flash objects in sigs here.

I don't know, but what if you split up the sig in two parts? A upper row, and a lower row. As only the lower one are animated, this could lead to a lower filesize, but that's 2 images then.
  • Ooooo - good choice! I've been working with CS2 for about 2 years and picked up CS4 two months ago. I'm very happy with it. If you ever want to try out some of my .psd files, let me know, I'm happy to share. I had a lot of generous folks do that for me when I was getting started and it helped me out a lot to see how they were doing something.

I can also recommend a few good tutorial sites if you ever have need.
  • If I recall correctly, normal registered users are prevented from adding more than 1 image to a signature. Although the idea to split the signature in half is a GREAT suggestion, it won't work on this forum :\
    (In addition: Flash files aren't allowed in signatures either)

Your best bet would be to make a userbar as show below (animated of course)
    [I'm not on my home computer, so sry this example looks silly]

Basically crop the top portion out of the signature and use only the animated bottom portion. You might also want to add a small 1px border and a half oval gloss top layer.
  • Braddley, since you have CS4, here's how to solve your size problem. When you're ready to save your file for the web, Go to FILE > SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES.

That will open up a window like: i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/skipatc/Save-for-Web.png

At the top of the window, click on "4-up" where I have indicated and you will get 4 views of the same file in different qualities. There you can adjust each one individually to raise/lower the quality and see the immediate effect. It also shows file size and how long it would take to load on the internet.

In my example, you are seeing the original, the .png version (39.83K file size), a .jpg version lowered to 30% quality (11.45K file size) and a .jpg verson lowered to 10% quality (7.554K file size).

Play around with this tool and you will be able to adjust your .gif file size to meet the restrictions and any future .jpg file adjustment will be a snap.