New contest idea - Ikariam's Next Top Artist

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• New contest idea - Ikariam's Next Top Artist

Baby sent this to me the other day...it was idea that calonkat had come up with at one point. I really like it and thought that I would play around with it a little bit. When reading this, think of America's Next Top Model. There will be rounds and after each round one artist is eliminated. (The number of rounds will depend on how many artists enter.) This continues until there is only one left. Each round, they will have a theme that they have to use and then the judges will vote. The one with the least amount of votes, is eliminated.

BTW, this does not affect the SOTW. This will be a totally different competition.

Now here is where I need your input:

IRC
      - Do you want to have one, where we can all discuss the contest? and what about one just for the judges?

Judging
      - how should we vote? a poll? or meet at a certain time and decide in the IRC? or a completely different way?
      - should there be prizes for each round? if so, what are some ideas?
      - I think that there should be a prize for the one that win the contest...I am thinking a userbar and coupons...any other ideas? (coupons if we can get them of course :) )
      - Criteria for the judging....flow, depth, colors, use of C4D's, text, and overall appearance...anything else that you can think of?

Rules
      - No ripping
      - have to follow board rules at all times and IRC if we choose
      - do we want the name on the artwork?
      - size? I want to be able to let the artist choose (unless a size is specified in the round, but I don't want them too big...maybe just limit the file size?
      - do we want them emailed or posted on the boards?
      - time frame? I was thinking one week for each round... do you think they would still be able to enter in the SOTW if they were participating in this contest? I don't want to overload them.
      - any other rules?

Possible Themes for the rounds:
      - No Place Like Home : Ikariam theme
      - Team Challenge : work together with another artist
      - Speed Challenge : complete within a certain amount of time (4 hours?)
      - Where's Waldo? : hide Waldo in it and it must be able to be found (also thought, instead of Waldo...use one of the military units in the game)
      - Recycling : use an old tag and change it (text, color, etc.) --- I'm not really understanding this one :(
      - Do You Remember? : something from your childhood
      - Sucking Up : make a sig for an admin or the coma
      - Vector Work:
      - Music: favorite artist
      - Wallpaper : make a wallpaper for desktop
      - Manipulate This! : take a stock image and manipulate it.
      - Follow the Leader: follow a tut, email the psd file to verify
      - any other ideas?

This is what I have come up with. Most of it was already there, I just added my thoughts and new ideas to it. I know that it was mentioned in the main thread about a training type thing for GIMP and Photoshop, so I was thinking that we could use this as a way for them to get help and training. And still make it fun. :)

Any thoughts, concerns, questions, anything???
    • this is fun! this really sounds good.. though we need like 4-5 judges with this. im guessing 2 admins maybe calonkat and babyff,
      i am familiar with that america's top model series my sister always watch that.

here my though about some of the questions ^^

DrkAngel wrote:

IRC
      - Do you want to have one, where we can all discuss the contest? and what about one just for the judges?

:yes i think we diffidently need an IRC when it comes to judging for that for fast results and we can communicate more in chat. maybe make just our own chat room and post a link to our FAH section.

DrkAngel wrote:

Judging
      - how should we vote? a poll? or meet at a certain time and decide in the IRC? or a completely different way?

about the judging let's do it like the end of the round per week if that's possible and discuss it on IRC if where going to have that ^^ also the voting as follows, but some of us are busy in RL so a poll would be better and add in why did you vote for the artist imo.

DrkAngel wrote:

- should there be prizes for each round? if so, what are some ideas?
      - I think that there should be a prize for the one that win the contest...I am thinking a userbar and coupons...any other ideas? (coupons if we can get them of course :) )

Good Idea a different userbar for the winner. and that would be great if we can have a huge amount of coupon for the winner for everyone to get interested with the competition

DrkAngel wrote:

- Criteria for the judging....flow, depth, colors, use of C4D's, text, and overall appearance...anything else that you can think of?

i think that's pretty much it DA.. another more to add though- imagination/creativity and how it has a wow effect on the tag

DrkAngel wrote:

Rules
      - No ripping
      - have to follow board rules at all times and IRC if we choose
      - do we want the name on the artwork?
      - size? I want to be able to let the artist choose (unless a size is specified in the round, but I don't want them too big...maybe just limit the file size?
      - do we want them emailed or posted on the boards?
      - time frame? I was thinking one week for each round... do you think they would still be able to enter in the SOTW if they were participating in this contest? I don't want to overload them.
      - any other rules?

if we need them to talk at IRC that would be some effort for them to have thou,
      if possible we need a name on that artwork, cause we might not now if the artist made the tag
      size specified per round ^^
      it depends on what kind of theme we have per round. if possible post it here in our fan art section or in the competition so we can see them
      i guess the amount of artist joining our competition right now we have like 5-7 artist its up to them if they could keep up with the pressure. though we need more artist to join this game! there are lot's of good artist here but i think they are just busy. hope they could see our section and think to join in ^^

DrkAngel wrote:

Possible Themes for the rounds:
      - No Place Like Home : Ikariam theme
      - Team Challenge : work together with another artist
      - Speed Challenge : complete within a certain amount of time (4 hours?)
      - Where's Waldo? : hide Waldo in it and it must be able to be found (also thought, instead of Waldo...use one of the military units in the game)
      - Recycling : use an old tag and change it (text, color, etc.) --- I'm not really understanding this one :(
      - Do You Remember? : something from your childhood
      - Sucking Up : make a sig for an admin or the coma
      - Vector Work:
      - Music: favorite artist
      - Wallpaper : make a wallpaper for desktop
      - Manipulate This! : take a stock image and manipulate it.
      - Follow the Leader: follow a tut, email the psd file to verify
      - any other ideas?

ikariam theme i like it ^^
      collab with an artist really sounds good with that
      i like the speed challenge.. :thumbsup:
      ok with waldo
      recycling looks to me if we can just give them 1 render a c4d a tag size and some stuff and the'll be the one to edit and show whose best
      theme do you remember me. something to tell bout there self. i like that
      hmmm..pretty much you did a good jog here DA. im all in this themes you posted ^^
    • I hadn't thought about this in a long time!!! I <3 those competition shows with the wacky challenges.

The recycled sig, we could take a really bad sig, or a really good one, but basically they have to use the elements of that sig (we should not use one with standard cutout pics that they can just go and get a new "original") and reimagine the sig. This really does happen when people want to use the main figure from a sig, but they don't have the pic it was made from and it's not a standard character. This would show their imagination and creativity in reusing already altered elements.

The speed challenge, we figured we ("we" being brian to be honest) could make a bot to give the subject of the challenge when asked by a contestant on IRC. We'd set up a channel for the challenge, the contestants could go there at any time during the challenge (before the end, obviously) and the bot would give them the challenge in the channel we pm to them. If they do not get an entry in within the 4 hours (or whatever) time limit, they would be out. We would have the timestamp on the logs for when they got the challenge, and the timestamp on the email for when the art was received. And they would have the freedom to get the challenge at a time that was convenient for them, rather than getting the challenge at 4am their time or the middle of the work day or something.
    • I like your first idea calonkat... we had something similar at GFXR a while back, Sanc will remember... another thing that I find tricky, and other 's do is chosen render... they need to use that one render... in their sig... if we do really wacky one, it challenges people to make new sigs, instead of just using old ones they've stored away in a folder somewhere...

-mat :)
    • I had a similar idea, maybe we could do it like this...

We have 5-10 rounds, first round of course anyone can enter, but in the following rounds only the winners of the previous round can enter, the overall theme would be a "try and copy this" which basically would be us showing people a piece of artwork and they have to try and duplicate the effects in their own piece but with the same dimension of the piece, that way, they can show their skills and creativity... and the FaHes can be the judges... as for voting... I'm not sure how it would be done...

-mat