Activity in the Section

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Activity in the Section

Yeah, I'm bad with coming up with a cool title for the subject ... live with it. :P

As most of you might have noticed, activity in the mafia section has dropped of late and we're here to ask for your input and suggestions as to how we can make the section active again and keep it fun and interesting for everyone.

For now, we're thinking of small filler games (possibly lasting a week and can be run with only 5-6 people). This is good for people who can't commit to long-term games as well as for those people who are waiting for a main game to kick off.

Would people be interested in this? And if so, what would you like to see in this type of game?

We're also working on some other ideas and will post them as they come but for now, we thought we could get everyone's thoughts on the matter first. After all, this section is for you - the mafia players. :)
      As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends.....

Sig By: Keteri
    • I think the deactivated post count in this section is slightly misleading, look at Thez and Heather for example: I'd be willing to be the two of them have well over 300 posts. I think that sometimes people scroll and see the amount of posts and just naturally go 'newbie' and don't realize that this is actually a very long-lived section for the more experienced on the boards.

With advertising, you run a bad risk of catching the eyes of some who are barely literate. That's always annoying because you'll never know what they're trying to say.

Then again, you advertised the reunion game, how did that help? I'm not quite certain why I ended up here, it was quite a bit by chance, and I think I was exceptionally board browsing unread topics.

The issue with small games is that there is only one mafia in a 5-6 game size, and unless they have a good help power, it's over for them, the cop can scan them out real easily.
      The current campeign I am making is the Gummy Bear supremacy campaign. We all know they are more important than gummy worms, so why do the worms get more love? Fight the worms, Gummy bears are the higher candy!
      Join my campaign to end the tyranny here!

Ika Mafia
    • If by small games, we aren't restricting much, and we can have maybe... 9-12 people instead, I'm sure we can also come up with some whack-a-do games, such as one that I have prepared for a certain game I am waiting for (not revealing anything)

And @AJ: Yeah, you are right, as I've been here for... close to a year now, have participated in at least 25 games, many of which I was very active in, and I'd probably have over 350 posts at this point, but that's just whatever. You may prove a valid point in the whole thought process of, "Oh, he doesn't have many posts, what a noob."

To be honest, I don't really pay attention to PCs though since sometimes people can be pretty prevalent in spam sections, and also because I don't really care that much.

LegendaryKiller wrote:

well i didn't want to do it, and then, next thing you know, i got zapped by a thezning!
    • Sorry I know I am not to active currently but I am writing my final exams and thus lacking some time.

However I would think it be cool to have some more advanced games with only 6 people. Hell I was actually planning on limiting my InterMed game to 6 people cus the theme would work out perfectly with that many people. I can't say more about it since then it would all be given away.
    • Small games sounds fun.

I think part of the problem is that we were supposed to have a huge energizing mafia reunion and our moderator quit out on us. That's a big bummer.
    • I like the idea of small games. If you have to wait a few weeks to a month to play a game, you can lose interest and forget to come back. I think that was the biggest problem with the reunion game. Lots of people expressed interest, but when it came time to actually sign up, they had all forgotten about it and then those that still were interested got frustrated because of the wait and lack of numbers. All in all, wasn't very good for anyone which is sad.

At least with small games, new players (and even returning ones) wouldn't have to wait too long before they got a chance to play. And if you're taken out early in the game, it's not too long to wait until the next game begins.
    • So, at this point what I think is that we should always have a beginner's game going, and having 3 games at once isn't a bad idea at all... 1 of each difficulty tier. We might also need mods to be harder on activity because if people are inactive well... then they should be replaced but sometimes aren't. Even if they send in NAs, they should be posting during the day.

Overall, perhaps one of each tier going isn't too bad an idea, especially the beginner's game tier.

LegendaryKiller wrote:

well i didn't want to do it, and then, next thing you know, i got zapped by a thezning!
    • 1.... Transfer about.... $100,000 to my bank account so I cant take off work for a while.
      2.... Get Harvard to give me a Honourary Doctorate... SO I dont have to spend time in classes...
      3 Stop Skyrim from coming out. Although if you do it... Many will try to kill you.

I would like to play but I have such little time, not to mention in a few days what little freetime I have will be Skyrim time! :P
    • So to give you an idea what we meant by the small games. They would most likely be games above Beginner game level. The day/night phases would have a given time table, like 48 hour days and 24 hr nights.

Perhaps some games would have a limit on how many posts you must make in order to use your ability and ability to vote. Nothing large but like 4 posts a day phase. Would keep it low due to time zone issues. Not 100% sure on this however.

Some could be wacky games some just plan jane games. But the goal would be to get a few people signed up and have a game going fast without needing a setup or planned event etc for the game. Just pick up games so to say.
      R.I.P Carrie

Annie's Hope
    • Require everyone to write 1000 words per game day or burn in the fiery pits of hell.

May bloody damnation rain down upon those who do not get their word count up!

The threat of hellfire is the key to activity.
    • @ thez, the problem with having all 3 levels of games at once is that we don't seem to have enough people to fill up all the slots. Some people may not mind playing multiple games at once but some do and this kind of splits them up, which makes it even more difficult for a game to kick off. Some of you may think otherwise though (in which case, we'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well. :) ) I think Beginner + Int/Adv could work though although again, some people doesn't seem to like Beginner games, which is probably where the Filler games could come in.

@ IH, you should play. You can fake a post restriction ... again. :P

@ Nugs, I won't pay you $100 to play. I'm sure I can find better ways to spend my money on. :P
      As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends.....

• Reality check: We only have the same group of around 10-15 players who are either modding or playing games they created. As time goes by, one or two gets busy in their RL to play and then a couple of new guys will come around to play. When they get enough experience, they will mod and will play games and the group of 10-15 players is completed again. And then the cycle goes on...

Filler games sound interesting, but does it answer the problem in the activity?

NO.

If we really want to raise the activity in this section, we need to get more people to come over here and play. You can't expect this section to be active if we only we have a few players around. This section used to be active when we had a lot of active players enough to make a game of more than 20 players.

I'm not against the idea of filler games. It's a good idea that we're offering something new to the table and I would be glad to support this new idea, but again, the problem is that it doesn't answer the problem in the activity. It will only maintain the same level of activity we have.

For this section to be active again, we need to have more players and for us to get a bunch of new players, we need to have an intensive advertisement of this section in this server. And when I say intensive advertisement: it's something that we'll do reguarly. Probably, once every month or twice every month. I think we have a lot of people out there who have enough time to play in this section, they probably just don't notice this section. I was once active in the Spamchat and I've seen this section around the corner but I don't have any idea what this game is all about so I just ignore this section until someone posted an article in the Daily Slinger introducing this game to the people and those who have read it, including me, became interested in playing and signed up for a game. If we do something like that again, I'm positive that we could get a lot of new players and make this section active again.

The idea is to post an advertisement in every Spamchat of each Worlds(Alpha-Omikron) that will introduce and tease people to come here and play the game, and not just something that tells people to play and go to the link. We'll do it often like every month. Once we've posted the ads, we'll then open a sign ups for beginner. The signs up thread should be inviting to beginners as well.

My post is getting too long so that's what I'm going to say for now. I'm not forcing anyone to follow my suggestion but I think that's the solution to make this section active again.

And by the way, I'm willing to hand over the game format you're asking from me. Just let me know if you'll go with that idea and I'll explain how it works.
    • I always find it interesting that while every other section of the board is populated by posts with bad grammar, in the mafia section it is extremely rare to find posts like that. I enjoy this a great deal, but it also attributes to the fact that almost every mafia player here has an excellent grip on the English language, enough so to make and understand very ironic posts, and, more importantly, pick out mistakes in other postings that leads to mafia tells. Since it is all writing-based, this is really a grammar-heavy game, and not a whole lot of people on the boards are as grammar heavy as us.

Look at Heather and Demeter, both are in this November writing competition. I am graduating with an economics degree, but I also have a strong literary background and am a proof-reader for essays and some smaller novels alike. I'm sure that after 100 years on Earth, and then some from Mars, Babyfirefly knows a good deal of English. And then we have the mix of board moderators and the likes that pass by and play. I'm sure the same goes for those not mentioned, since Ronnie seems to know every language on the planet.

After a while, it seems that the whole group is a bunch of close friends, in a sort of way. We know each other well enough to add another aspect to the games we play, and each one of us has a bit of an easy scum-tell for everyone else to pick up on. I agree with jasper, while we need to advertise a little more, there aren't issues out of the norm.

And I personally vote to ignore posting in the Gamma boards. Bunch of trolls.
      The current campeign I am making is the Gummy Bear supremacy campaign. We all know they are more important than gummy worms, so why do the worms get more love? Fight the worms, Gummy bears are the higher candy!
      Join my campaign to end the tyranny here!

Ika Mafia
    • Jasper wrote:

The idea is to post an advertisement in every Spamchat of each Worlds(Alpha-Omikron) that will introduce and tease people to come here and play the game, and not just something that tells people to play and go to the link. We'll do it often like every month. Once we've posted the ads, we'll then open a sign ups for beginner. The signs up thread should be inviting to beginners as well.

Someone should get on this pronto...

All right, another idea (that will probably fail, but why not introduce it?) may be to have some beginner marathon games? Perhaps very similar to IC games where we could have like... 5 people: 1 mafia, and 1 cop OR doc, (rest obviously VTs) prob not both... Perhaps it will be a way to introduce people to the games of mafia and let them decide if they want to play some full fledged games... A sort of a demo of the game? If you want, I can even host the first one and more if nobody is wanting to - Weekends are ideal for me, but I can try and make it work over the week, seeing as I just played my last football game today... But if I'm modding my ADV/IntMed game, I'd prefer to not mod 2 games at once, especially if I'm playing in another, it'll just get a bit too hectic for me.

I'm just throwing an idea out there. It will probably get thrown back at me, but not mentioning it would be less productive anyway.

Aj The Epic wrote:

Look at Heather and Demeter, both are in this November writing competition. I am graduating with an economics degree, but I also have a strong literary background and am a proof-reader for essays and some smaller novels alike. I'm sure that after 100 years on Earth, and then some from Mars, Babyfirefly knows a good deal of English. And then we have the mix of board moderators and the likes that pass by and play. I'm sure the same goes for those not mentioned, since Ronnie seems to know every language on the planet.

I have won a few writing contests myself, and am currently learning French (thus I will probably have a basic understanding of Spanish, Romanian, and Italian as well) and can read Hebrew... Though I'm in High School and hate English class but, what are you gonna do?

LegendaryKiller wrote:

• I like most of the ideas that have been mentioned.. I was also thinking, is the contact list really being utilized? I haven't received any notifications of upcoming games since I signed up a month ago.. I was away most of that time because of RL, but I was still checking the board every now and then and reading my PMs, although didn't venture into mafia section (or any section really) for a few weeks. I could be wrong, but I was thinking that maybe some people on that list also don't stop by the section that often, but would still play if they got a notification?

Another idea is that maybe the active players can post a brief "mafia ad" in their alliance forums - just a few lines about the game and a link to the mafia section.

Aj, I doubt that the less articulate people coming over and trying to play would be a major issue. Anyone who plays at least one game can see that board-based mafia requires a lot of writing. If they can't write well, chances are they won't understand a whole lot of what others are trying to say in their lengthy posts, hence I doubt they will stick around. Just my 2 cents, again, I could be wrong there.
    • I don't know how often that contact list is being used, but I used it for my game when I needed more people to sign up. Granted, I didn't contact everyone on the list, but I did contact a few until I had enough people to run my game. I was hesitant to contact a few people though because the info seemed pretty old and I wasn't sure it was still valid.