Christmas Celebration 2011

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Christmas Celebration 2011

Well, I thank everyone for their concern about my absence from the boards. I also hope you all had fun with my little Halloween contest, I know I certainly did!

Coming up is one of my favorite holidays, but my arthritis is acting up, and I can't get the boxes down from the attic with my decorations and books. I'd like to see if some of you rapscallions could stop your looting and pirating and focus on helping an old lady get some cheer back in the holiday.

Boughs of Holly

First, I need a banner for the boards. Because I like to look at it during the season, I need this right away. Send me a board PM with your banner by December 18th at 12:00 (game time). I'll choose my favorite and reward the winner with a nice Ambrosial eggnog.

Remember, if the size isn't right it won't be chosen no matter how festive it is! All submissions should be the exact same measurements as the one we have now, 474px wide by 76px high. It needs to mesh well with the boards, as well, so don't go adding obnoxious background colors!

Here's the base image, feel free to work with this:

The 12 Days of Christmas (Trivia)

I'm also going to be running a little contest on the boards to see how much knowledge you all have kept from your schooling. HA! Well, how about trivia and such about this here game then?

As soon as I can find my reading glasses I'll be posting the trivia questions in a response to this thread, so be ready! There will be 12 questions, given out over the course of a few days. Not everyday though! I'm too old to wait around daily for you, it gets tiring. The first three people to answer them ALL correctly will win a prize. No cheating, no peeking and the answers must ALL be right in order to win a prize.

The Spirit of Giving

Finally, as this is the season of giving, I do believe I'd like to see some major donating going on. I'll be keeping an eye on each server to see who donates the most from now until Christmas.

Be warned! If I catch you cheating you'll get a taste of what discipline was like in my day, before these namby pamby wimps got to the government.

There just might be Christmas cookies in it for the people who help me celebrate the holiday season ;). So get crackin' and stop reading this thread, already!
    • As you can see, we have a lovely logo gracing the boards. Thank you Tershadow (our winner) and everyone else who entered for the lovely artwork. :) I was quite surprised by the creative and festive entries we got! To see all of them, go here.

While you're there, you can admire all the other signatures and such that our talented board members have made. And if you're needing a signature or a picture for an alliance page, drop in on one of the artist's shops and request one!

Now that that is over, I've got the third part of my holiday celebration ready for you. Hopefully these will provide a bit of mental challenge for you. Remember, all answers have to be 100% correct to count, and the first three to meet that criteria will win some cookies!

Almost all the answers can be found ingame or on the boards, as part of the regular game or setup, not as player generated content (nothing about town names or such). No hints, no clues, no cheating!

1. What 4 ways can you register an account on ikariam?

2. Where can you see the record number of users on the boards?

3. Name 6 members of the Ikariam project team.

4. Where would you see the following message and how is it generated? [quote]is the ruler of numerous towns in the antique island world of Ikariam and has something to say.
        Do you also want to help your island folk become an aspiring nation, get a prospering economy, research the wonders of science and gain powerful allies?[/quote]

Chew on those for awhile, I'll have more questions for you in a day or two. Send me your answers by board PM, remember that the winner will be based on speed and accuracy both! And don't forget that you're supposed to be donating too! The Donations contest ends on the 24th so you have less than a week left before the contest is at its close. I better some some good improvements from some of you selfish slugs!
    • Next round of questions, young'uns.

5.Where can you find your Player-ID?

6.Nose pegs are described in what part of the game?

7.All of the islands of Ikariam used to have the same look. At what point (date or version) did the islands start to look different?

8.If you want to chat live with board or game staff, where do you go on the boards?

Speed and accuracy both count here, I've got a shiny red pen to find those mistakes! One more round of questions after this and we'll be done.

And I'm expecting some big donation increases when I go to check in a few days.
    • Final batch of questions. This brings us to 12 questions and that just seems appropriate somehow.

9.What does the word Ikariam refer to?

10.What is the name for the container that ambrosia is in?

11.Where can you find pictures of 5 females in the game Ikariam? (There are more than 5, and they aren't all found in the same picture)

12.Describe 4 different types of searches that can be done on the boards.

I'm not waiting around all day on Saturday for you brats to send in your answers, so I'll be needing the answers to all of the questions sent in by Saturday at 20:00 game time (that would be 11am on the west coast of the USA, 1pm in the middle, and 2pm on the East Coast). I'll be looking for both accuracy and speed here!

Remember there are prizes for this contest! Freshly baked cookies (or Ambrosia)

And just to make things simpler, I'll close the donations contest at the same time.
    • OldLadyMcGee wrote:

The 12 Days of Christmas (Trivia)

I'm also going to be running a little contest on the boards to see how much knowledge you all have kept from your schooling. HA! Well, how about trivia and such about this here game then?

As soon as I can find my reading glasses I'll be posting the trivia questions in a response to this thread, so be ready! There will be 12 questions, given out over the course of a few days. Not everyday though! I'm too old to wait around daily for you, it gets tiring. The first three people to answer them ALL correctly will win a prize. No cheating, no peeking and the answers must ALL be right in order to win a prize.

Judging by the responses received, I don't think anyone's going to be getting all the answers right! So getting the most right and getting the answers in fast will both count in your favor. I must confess, I expected better, but you young people are probably out gallivanting around rather than worrying about getting every single answer right.
    • Well, now that the holiday festivities are in a bit of a lull, I went over the responses received for the little quiz I ran.

I'm a bit concerned that no one got all the answers right, but I did put some tricky ones in there.

2 people only missed one each, and so the winner is Delka since he got his results in first.

Runners up are automeris (also missed one) and Griggs, who missed 2 and who also tried to submit more than one set of answers! HA! I'm not old enough to fall for that one, sonny!

My thanks to all who participated in the quiz.

Now, as to the donations contest, I had a team of volunteers, but apparently the eggnog I gave them was a bit strong, and they fell asleep on the job! I'll have the results just as soon as the coffee and aspirin do their work.

Quiz Answers:
      1. What 4 ways can you register an account on ikariam?
        Login Page, OpenID, Facebook, Gameforge.com (a lot of people said the friend invite, but that requires the regular registration, just a different way of getting there)
      2. Where can you see the record number of users on the boards?
        Bottom of the boards
      3. Name 6 members of the Ikariam project team.
        I'm disappointed with how hard this was for you all, only 2 people got this right. The information has been available ingame forever, albeit really hard to find there. But nowadays, it's right on the login page, with a big button that says "Credits"!
      4. Where would you see the following message and how is it generated?
        Up in the top right of your game screen is a facebook badge. If you're logged into facebook, clicking on that will generate that message on your "wall" including a link that is a friend invite.
      5. Where can you find your Player-ID?
        Options> Game Options (also in a variety of URLs)
      6. Nose pegs are described in what part of the game?
        Alchemist's Tower
      7. All of the islands of Ikariam used to have the same look. At what point (date or version) did the islands start to look different?
        0.3.1 29.04.2009
        "Feature - New island graphics: There are five different island shapes for the island view now, that also correspond with the world map."
      8. If you want to chat live with board or game staff, where do you go on the boards? Top of the boards, link that says "Chat"
      9. What does the word Ikariam refer to? Ikaria (island near which Icarus supposedly fell into the sea)
      10. What is the name for the container that ambrosia is in? Amphora, found in Help>Gold and Finances
        "Next to the amphora symbol at the top left of the screen, you can see how many ambrosia you have left."
      11. Where can you find pictures of 5 females in the game Ikariam? (There are more than 5, and they aren't all found in the same picture) Types of Government is the easiest, but there are also females in the high score picture, market/economy picture, etc.
      12. Describe 4 different types of searches that can be done on the boards.
        There are lots of types of searches and I am not going to try to list them all, you can search within threads, within forums, by author, by time, etc.

On this quiz the hardest questions were numbers 1, 3, and 4, with only 40% of the entrants getting the answer right. I'll try something easier next time. Maybe you young people could handle a nice round of Bingo?
    • Alright already! I have the winners for you!

Despite the horrible rumors floating around, I did not have too much eggnog at the Christmas party! My helpers did. Youngsters these days can't handle their business these days, the world's gone soft on me.

Ah well, I didn't come here to waste time talking about silly matters! Now that my helpers have all had plenty of water and aspirin, we have the results of the Donations contest.

I was pleasantly surprised by the involvement we had. Some of you servers were a bit scrooge-like (yes, Xi, I'm talking to you) but the rest of you all seem to have gotten the message that "it is better to give than to receive" and "you can't get something for nothing". Anyway, here are our winners:

Alpha

Name: .........................................mibreha
      Alliance: ......................................Lost
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................94
      Total Score: .................................4,326,884
      Donations Rank: ...........................1
      Donations Score: ..........................1,274,786
      Amount Donated (individual): ....77,591
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....4,447,466
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....1.74%

Beta

Name: .........................................Delka
      Alliance: ......................................TDP
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................41
      Total Score: .................................4,961,966
      Donations Rank: ...........................78
      Donations Score: ..........................402,587
      Amount Donated (individual): ....108,804
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....3,209,123
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....3.39%

Gamma

Name: .........................................ikarirain
      Alliance: ......................................SOL
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................62
      Total Score: .................................3,520,451
      Donations Rank: ...........................8
      Donations Score: ..........................583,137
      Amount Donated (individual): ....46,677
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,276,012
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....3.66%

Delta

Name: .........................................Dino Ortolani
      Alliance: ......................................Lux
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................86
      Total Score: .................................4,135,509
      Donations Rank: ...........................24
      Donations Score: ..........................597,693
      Amount Donated (individual): ....51,485
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....2,782,135
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....1.85%

Epsilon

Name: .........................................rodney
      Alliance: ......................................Vx3
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................65
      Total Score: .................................4,290,038
      Donations Rank: ...........................39
      Donations Score: ..........................448,850
      Amount Donated (individual): ....57,178
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,967,323
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....2.91%

Zeta

Name: .........................................sasa87
      Alliance: ......................................TBK
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................43
      Total Score: .................................4,384,732
      Donations Rank: ...........................40
      Donations Score: ..........................397,000
      Amount Donated (individual): ....73,405
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,539,294
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....4.77%

Eta

Name: .........................................Bort
      Alliance: ......................................TWM
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................297
      Total Score: .................................1,694,658
      Donations Score: ..........................1,542,024
      Amount Donated (individual): ....45,312
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,334,563
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....3.40%

Theta

Name: .........................................whiskey
      Alliance: ......................................GRIT
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................53
      Total Score: .................................2,992,660
      Donations Score: ..........................1,937,000
      Amount Donated (individual): ....52,000
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,059,105
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....4.91%

Iota

Name: .........................................strikestwice
      Alliance: ......................................DARK
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................16
      Total Score: .................................3,220,008
      Donations Rank: ...........................23
      Donations Score: ..........................311,868
      Amount Donated (individual): ....39,953
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,658,939
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....2.41%

Kappa

Name: .........................................lady_outcast
      Alliance: ......................................A3011
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................324
      Total Score: .................................825,032
      Donations Rank: ...........................116
      Donations Score: ..........................155,409
      Amount Donated (individual): ....42,588
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,752,842
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....2.43%

Lambda

Name: .........................................Atomic Rooster
      Alliance: ......................................None
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................34
      Total Score: .................................2,764,300
      Donations Rank: ...........................9
      Donations Score: ..........................521,776
      Amount Donated (individual): ....40,455
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,860,878
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....2.17%

My

Name: .........................................Fartsniffer
      Alliance: ......................................KFC
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................240
      Total Score: .................................746,474
      Donations Score: ..........................620,390
      Amount Donated (individual): ....23,078
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,421,207
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....1.62%

Ny

Name: .........................................Segaboba
      Alliance: ......................................Wolf
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................86
      Total Score: .................................954,051
      Donations Rank: ...........................5
      Donations Score: ..........................234,019
      Amount Donated (individual): ....25,651
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....2,693,741
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....0.95%

Xi

Name: .........................................Jono
      Alliance: ......................................HIT
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................18
      Total Score: .................................567,362
      Donations Rank: ...........................3
      Donations Score: ..........................83,095
      Amount Donated (individual): ....35,333
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....437,192
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....8.08%

Omikron

Name: .........................................Archeron
      Alliance: ......................................None
      Overall Rank (TS): ........................27
      Total Score: .................................118,047
      Donations Rank: ...........................2
      Donations Score: ..........................66,128
      Amount Donated (individual): ....28,809
      Amount Donated (whole server): .....1,219,596
      Percentage Donated by Winner: .....2.36%

Global Total: 28659416

Congratulations to everyone, most of you worked extremely hard - I can tell! The winners should be hearing from one of my helpers soon enough ;) I'd also like to take a moment to thank all of my drunken little elves for all of their hard work that went into this contest. I'm much obliged for the helping hand. I'm not too keen on technical computer mumbo jumbo and, without your help, Christmas would have been a flop.

Anywhoo, See you all the next time I come around to bribe your affection. Until then, be good, try to not disgrace yourselves and above all don't harass me! I'm out of good will for now!