The game is dying. Is anyone doing anything about this?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Hi,

    You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

    Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

    Ikariam team

    • The game is dying. Is anyone doing anything about this?

      So I look around, and islands which have been solid 16s most of my time playing for the last several years, are no longer maxxed.

      and most of my friends have left.

      The suggestions thread has become gestapo-esque (waves at Godwin's law), and what typically gets through are things which will never be implemented as actual [i]change[/i] (But hey, spam threads are ok.) So my main fun on game boards - suggesting ideas and discussing them - has become verboten.

      And in the game, the interface is what it is (I won't re-state all the complaints that I continually hear, especially concerning user-friendliness)

      And at this point I'm sincerely wondering if GF just wants the game to die so that they can start closing servers.

      If that's the case, please let me know. I'll stop trying to struggle with the new interface, and call it a day.
    • @AVATAR-BRO Sadly that really doesn't fix the issue, merging the servers. What they should have done a long while ago is avoid 3.2 With that not happening .com would have the need for 16 or whatever servers and they'd be for the most part active. The newer servers that we currently have are just used to recycle the same people continuously so they can race to reach #1 before the next new server comes out and the process continues with the same outcomes and the same dramas.

      The suggestions people make are simply put failures, they do not improve the issues at hand nor increase the entertainment value to the game so what suggestions are being used for are simply for jokes and false pleasure, lying to yourselves that they are good or worth placing the effort into without first reading the suggestions Dead End Ideas or searching for the base principal of your idea, not saying that repeats are bad (they are) but if you're not going to fix the issues at hand for the others, why place the same pile of :censored: back to be made a mockery of yet again? I honestly do not thin GameForge likes us as a community or this game, they have made faux attempts at making the game better but in turn have just continued to make it worse. They CLEARLY do not want to admit that they were wrong so they continue heading south. Honestly the only reason I'm still here and the only reason that I've been here after the failures of 2.8* 3.2, 3.8, 4.2, 5.0 etc is simply because the rest of my alliance hasn't quit yet and as I started the alliance in my main server, I'd like to stick with my originals until they all decide that even our company isn't worth getting irritated at signing in to see another new failure of an update: GameForge has yet again :censored:ed fighters and in turn alliances in the ass.


      Sig by June 8)
      Love is like air, without it... I die.

      spaPOT wrote:

      no worriess..you see im a kid thats why im dumb..kuku :pillepalle:
    • bamcbix wrote:

      I honestly do not think GameForge likes us as a community or this game, they have made faux attempts at making the game better but in turn have just continued to make it worse.


      Had to quote this. And agree

      automeris wrote:

      And I will tell you, I bet most of the people who have left, and many staying including myself, will NEVER try out another gameforge game. I have already looked at games on the web and just closed the browser window when I saw that GF was involved. One experience with this management style is enough for a lifetime.


    • I've been around for most of the updates. (I remember starting and quitting a few times at first - back then a friend kept talking me into coming back : )

      But yes, the outcry over 3.2 was greater by far than the complaints over 3.0 (loss of gold pillaging) Though several were unhappy about loss of gold pillaging, most everyone understood it was necessary to prevent "griefing" issues, among other things.

      But I think the greatest outcry really was the change to the wonders in 3.2. It affected everyone, low to high in score, and it really came across simply as a money grab ( a way to gain ambrosia - I wonder how successful that has been...) So players were much less sympathetic.

      This of course combined with the rather unbalanced wonder powers which replaced them.

      And pillagers - oldbies pine for the simplicity of the past. And newbies are often just lost. I personally think the tableau was an interesting idea, but they've never really found a good way to determine how much of each troop should be "allowed" on the field (how many "stacks" or how many per stack). "Common sense" attrition (while slowly getting slightly better) ''still'' doesn't seem to happen.

      And the recent increase of types of ships to mimic land battles just makes for "blah" game design. (But don't dare try to suggest changes to it, it'll never make it past the "suggestions filterers".)

      Which is one of my personal pet peeves. I get that some don't like a re-discussion of past discussions. But at the same time, the current filter is the subjectivity of ONE PERSON. Great ideas can come out of a discussion that's on a wholly different topic. The whole point of the brainstorming thread was to allow for such free flowing discussion, but, rather than move the "presumed" unlikely to succeed discussions from the suggestions thread to the brainstorming thread, they're just auto-closed. It kills me that we allow "ban the person above you" and other junk spam threads, but we can't discuss fixing some inherent problems with the game, because somebody here says that fixing things can't be talked about.

      When a game truly becomes work and not fun. When people lose their sense of attachment to their towns. When discussion is squelched. When the devs seem to have totally lost focus or any sort of understanding of what caused people to want to stay to play, and further what caused them to get their friends to come play. All such things lead to a game's death.

      All of this aside, the second half of this thread's topic still is a valid question I think: Does anyone at GF get that the game is dying? And more, do they care? And like I said above, if this is intentional game death, please, let us know, so we can stop wasting our time beating our heads against the wall....
    • Its one thing getting a good idea that would be great, but its another thing trying to get GF to implement the idea or change. With that being said, I dont think anyone at GF plays the game. Could be a reason for all the horrible problems.

      Dumb bugs like being able to station 1 unit in 1 spot is a bug, but that might, MIGHT be fixed in a couple years if the game makes it that far.

      Also, the navy setup is better than before, but way to expensive. I think it all comes down to whatever suit is running things :thumbdown: New players quit easily because usually they end up becoming occupied towns and are told about how great getting 10% of what the player occupying you gets from a pillage. Such a great thing, but with that comes not even playing the game but just being sat on.

      Lots of new players on the new servers are targeted for when there doing GR upgrades. I love seeing players with big accounts saying, "Well you should of built up your warehouse" or some other equally dumb idea. What tiny player has a protection level to cover 70k goods? I know none of my accounts do. Players end of hitting these small players towns once every week just to see if there doing any GR upgrade.

      Now that is a problem, but no one seems to mind it. Were to busy trying to find OTHER reasons that new players wont stay. :hail:
    • Another problem is the fact that if you have friends in real life, they make it extremely difficult to invite them to play the game with you. Have a co-worker that you want to invite? Go ahead! But know that if you both log in from work, you'll be banned. Have a roomate you want to invite? Same problem! You can both play, but god forbid you trade with eachother or join the same alliance! They're too quick to ban, and not interested in actually talking with players and just instantly say "omg multi, banned"



      The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
    • The feedback is always welcome and appreciated, this forum was created because we want to hear your thoughts so that we can pass them on to GameForge for you in a more efficient way.

      However please realise that talking about staff methods etc isn't appropriate here. These things should be sent to an Admin. Typically you'll want to pose the complaint/concern to the Admin responsible for the area in question. If you have an issue with the way that bans are placed, a GA is your best bet for giving the feedback. If you feel that the policies on the boards (such as the way that Suggestions or other board sections are handled), poking a BA is always the most effective way of getting change.

      Listening to you is what we're here for, first and foremost. So if you have an issue, a GA or BA would be more than glad to listen to it and see how it can be changed. Give us a poke. :)


      Please feel free to continue the conversation, to express concern about the population of servers or the community in general - but do keep comments aimed at staff where they belong, in PM with an Admin.

      Thanks guys! :love:


      One account to rule them all.
    • My initial question still stands:

      what is the current situation as far as GF is concerned?

      PR (public relations) people would of course obviously say that "everything is great".

      But is there an actual understanding of what's actually going on?

      Is there some plan to deal with this?

      I realise that GF has many games they are maintaining. Has ikariam dropped to a place of lesser import?

      Or on the converse, has ikariam become someone's pet project, to where they don't care about the obvious player attrition problems, and have the presumption that player attrition of oldbies is a good thing, with the thought that they will easily gain new players to replace the lost players?

      Playing ikariam is a commitment of time, energy, and for some, money.

      I would think that GF would see the import of making a statement in order to clarify the situation.
    • I honestly don't know the answers to your questions, but I will ask them and I will pass along the concerns.


      However I do know that they aren't doing a collective shrug in the general direction of Ikariam. This is evident by several things that they've done in recent years, starting with the addition of a new QA (who has made monumental progress in ensuring our bugs are resolved efficiently and effectively) and going forward even to the graphical update we got earlier in this year.. or even onward still to the LEAN project.


      One account to rule them all.
    • I think if you want to know the situation with Gameforge you have to do a little research for yourself and with a little information you can make some assumptions about the past and possible future of gameforge and thus ikaraim

      I will provide you with this short (hopefully) Informative (hopefully) thiny majig

      A little while ago Gameforge acquired the majority share of frogster a similar game company who created runes of magic etc ( not that I have ever played that) well this acquisition was supposed to go smoothly and what their CEO said recently is that it did not, on paper the merge was great but in reality they faced many opposing creative design issues and by his own admission GF was sick, they culled over 200 staff during the integration as they found that when they did integrate there were alot of section overlaps. So they took the time to get things right, as per say an alliance might do before it goes to war, same difference.

      On top of this they also branched into the Asian Market but it cost them alot of money for little return due to the unexpected nature of many asian markets. ie China and other communists states where they are expected to sign the kinds of agreements you only find in communist areas and they tried to continue but they simply could not. So as you may or may not know they pulled out of the Asian market and it is in big part why we have been flooded with Vietnamese, Chinese players. The way in which some of these players(I dare not say many) play is in part the reason why gameforge was not making coin, you dont need to buy any ambro if you simply find a way around the mulit accounting bans

      Though the market reports suggest that Gameeforge is well positioned during recent financial crisis having cleaned up and now having staffed back up to about 80% of what they had with the 2 companies. They also say that up until recently GF was the electronic game industry in germany but their success has opened the path for others, so this also increases competition which history suggests with most things, that is always a winner for the consumer in both price and quality or X product. They have also made some impressive lead staff acquisitions from companies like Ubisoft (Assassins Creed) Ensemble Studios(Age of Empires). Since pulling out of the asian market they have reviewed their business strategy and are now going to be putting the majority of their focus in US and Europe as well as Turkey which they see as a market into Africa and the MIddle east.

      I think if you take all that in mind you can see why Ikariam has been not so great these last few years, it is that alliance analogy again, if you have an alliance that has internal problems its going to reflect in EVERYTHING it does, but the positive is that they are coming out of the hole, they are expanding their income base which yes provides stupid little app games but in every market you have your upper and lower echelons of what is acceptable and what is not to any particular consumer. So if you put all that together I think that in the next 12 months we are going to see a reinvigorated Gameforge with a singular business strategy focus made up of several portfolios and this is going to start to reflect in the level of game that we get.

      One thing to consider though is that in any gameforge press releases, or market reports Ikariam is rarely ever mentioned as what they are famed for, usually Ogame and a few others get the mention, so it may very well not be a priority for them......and who's fault is that?

      Ours.....as players and in a lot of ways as westerners(obviously this is a generalization but it is a us server) I am from Australia but we are still in the westerner/1st world bracket. we love to complain and moan but when it comes to doing something about it, we dont often do much or we do things the wrong way and then our frustration causes us to say "why bother" so then ppl persist in posting threads about Ikraima dying that are pointless and I mean no offense by that. What I do mean is that if you love this game so much(like I do even though it and gameforge also give me the craps sometimes) the write a letter to the COMA write one to gameforge customer service, if 1000 ppl from .com sent them a letters they would be like "hey whats going on here"

      I think that if you want this game to be better and lets face it we dont have alot to lose, then what is it worth to you? I was told once that a dream/goals worth= whatever it takes. So we could come here and whine and hassle poor BFF or we could stop sitting idle by like we are somehow powerless and give it a go and see what happens. No movement or change that has ever stuck in society started with idle complacency. Its not just here its reflective in our appreciation of democratic rights and right to vote, we get the same mentality "oh woe is me my vote isn't going to change anything" and its not but 10001 will.

      You have to make Gameforge care and that is only going to come if ppl really do care and what to do something about it

      And if you do write them a letter don't be like " ahhhmmmmmm I want gold pillagn back cos since then I can't even support a a gazzilion military and I just cant fight so i cant play"
      Be constructive in your approach SAY IT> EXPLAIN IT> SUPPORT IT
      " One of the problems players are facing is gold. It is my opinion that Ikariam is somewhat torn that in part it is a game of self but also a game of teams ie alliances. The trouble is that we feel some of the elements of the economy are out of sync with what Ikariam represents itself as. For Instance some players prefer to fight and some support those fighters through gold supply, this was later tempered by the changes to the market in which they are now average prices making it harder to transfer gold. This causes problems for fighting sections of alliances as the cost of units and war is huge, an average 1.8 million point player could only for a short time reasonably support a military on their own that would be of any use to the player or alliance.

      It is no secret that games such as ikariam often thrive on the bonds between ppl that are formed, both in personal and professional alliances and it is that interconnectedenss that will drive the success of Ikariam and other GF games. So I would encourage GF to look at ways to better balance the economy of the game system to create that interconnectedness so that players can more easily work together. In doing this you create activity on servers, activity means $$ spent and thus profits ultimately for GF.

      Filling the water bucket constantly does not change the fact that there is a hole in it and in that sense, it is well known in business circles that it can cost up to 8 times as much to get a new customer than it does to keep existing ones."

      Blah Blah Blah yes it takes much much longer to write that but when you are trying to convince someone of an idea, its always best to make that idea in their best interests and of course its in GFs best interests to keep us and look after us but don't just complain offer a solution because it saves some guy at GF thinking and they can make great changes and take the credit for it for all I care as long as the game is cool.

      I am not always the greatest supporter of Staff "stuff" and BFF can attest to that, she has dealt with me lol but coming here and posting threads like this is just as helpful as yelling at the girl in drive thru, she didnt make your burger, she is not the manager so what change is that going to produce? none
      And no offense BFF but you are more or less the drive through girl at Gameforge lol, you are a part of the function but that does not mean you have any authority to get things done at gameforge, you need us to tell you things so that you can tell the person above you and then it goes up and it gets diluted in the chain. Its not the staffs fault its just what it is and the nature of business especially in the E-era. It also alot of the problems that come about from player/staff interactions because players misinterpret staff members roles, the guy who sold you the chicken in the deli has no pull with the CEO, and I think in that respect alot of unreasonable pressure/expectation is put on staff. So that is why I reiterate go to the Coma, write to Gameforge if you really want change then make yourselves heard to the ppl who can get it done cos after all you have nothing to lose because you already claim that the game is dying and I do not disagree with that it is, but one person or a few cant do it we need a community behind it. and not a community of whingers, a community that is proactive in part of and in providing solutions.

      mmmmm.....That was shorter than I expected lol

      That is what I think and I am always right lol
    • Chaos wrote:

      mmmmm.....That was shorter than I expected lol


      That's short? :blink" And I thought my posts were wordy. lol


      Thanks for the history lesson. You've obviously done more homework than a lot of us on the background stuff. I hope things will be looking up soon. I won't say that the game is dying, at least not yet. But the populations are declining.

      sig by Checkmate

      I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

      The post was edited 1 time, last by JuneBarcarolle ().

    • Chaos wrote:


      mmmmm.....That was shorter than I expected lol



      That was 1662 words!!! I struggle to write essays like that lol


      Thank you Carter & Crosswind

      There's a difference between bravery and stupidity - Cookie Monster
      With a bit of creativity there is always another option - Cookie Monster
      You can get beginners luck, but the rest is all you - Cookie Monster

      Visit the Fan Art Section
    • Nice essay, and I felt, rather informative.

      On your point about complaining, rather than doing something about it, I am in definite agreement there.

      Which comes back to one of my complaints.

      I fully understand having "steps" between the masses and developers.

      But the situation I keep running into is that proposals (which are obviously merely outlines, a message board doesn't lend itself to an actual fleshed out robust proposal) are simply disallowed simply because any suggestion of what someone considers "fundamental change" is simply disallowed to be discussed. Even though such fundamental change is rather obviously ongoing with GF right now.

      One merely only look (for example) to the fact that GF itself asked for feedback about reinstituting the gold pillaging policy (something I'm not in support of, btw), to see that fundamental change is ongoing.

      So this is clearly something which should be open to discussion.

      Everyone I have spoken to is VERY unhappy with the interface.

      (And as an aside, I just had another friend set their account for deletion - over 3.5 million in score)

      I've done searches online, and see a few mild greasemonkey fixes to it, but in light of past events, we're all well advised to avoid greasemonkey.

      And I personally tried to make a few quick suggestions as well.

      I asked for a brainstorming section to be created (which BFF kindly did), but (from what I understand) due to the limit of the software, if suggestions is to be locked" so are all the other sub threads in that section. So, so much for free-flow of ideas to try to come up with ideas for change.

      Anyway, at this point, I'm seriously considering leaving myself.

      This isn't some "goodbye" moment (we've all seen those). If and or when I decide to go, I'll set my account (over 3 million even with a long hiatus ddue to comp issues) to delete and walk away to spend other ways to spend my time.

      Online, as most of us have seen, there are "jump the shark" moments. At that moment a site team either rises to the challenge and gets beyond it, or we watch the slow (or not-so-slow) decline.

      Ikariam is clearly at that moment. (you're welcome to disagree of course.)

      I think at this point, I think I'll take a look at the various suggestions/proposals I (and others) have made, and start to empty my personal folders. If nothing else, it can add to the electronic land fill that may end up being the foundation for the monument to what was the game ikariam.

      Happy gaming.
    • Things are much better now then in "gold"en days :)

      I for one love that you can not pillage gold any longer. Ive been here for many years now, seen it all change... I hate that folks can build massive armies and have others pay for it, everyone should have to pay their own way, its what contains the scope and size of battles. Battles are a waste of time and resources, the real winners are those who continue to climb the high score list and to do that one needs peace not constant fighting. Anything that controls the flow of gold, thus the size and scope of battles is a great thing. I truly think that those screaming about this constantly are a very vocal bunch, but not the majority. Those that are happy to see them hollering just sit back and smile and watch them squirm. We have no reason to be vocal, we have what we want. Way to go Gameforge! Please do not ever give in to the whining. Things are as they should be, if anything continue to find ways to prevent folks from transferring resources and gold.
    • TIbbar2 wrote:

      I for one love that you can not pillage gold any longer. Ive been here for many years now, seen it all change... I hate that folks can build massive armies and have others pay for it, everyone should have to pay their own way, its what contains the scope and size of battles. Battles are a waste of time and resources, the real winners are those who continue to climb the high score list and to do that one needs peace not constant fighting. Anything that controls the flow of gold, thus the size and scope of battles is a great thing. I truly think that those screaming about this constantly are a very vocal bunch, but not the majority. Those that are happy to see them hollering just sit back and smile and watch them squirm. We have no reason to be vocal, we have what we want. Way to go Gameforge! Please do not ever give in to the whining. Things are as they should be, if anything continue to find ways to prevent folks from transferring resources and gold.

      Hello -
      Why do points matter in a game that never ends? I think that builders need to realize that the game without pillaging is very boring and that endless saving for GRs become monotonous. Plus, there is a limit as to how much you can build. I do not wish for gold pillaging back - well - not exactly, what I want is the battles to not last 18 hours. What I want is GF to stop dumbing down the game. What I want is the excitement that is currently lacking in this version...if it takes adding gold pillaging then it takes gold pillaging. I want people to want to come back to the game, not set their accounts to delete. The graphics are lovely - but take a ton of band-width. I know this because I have mobile wi-fi and I can track the usage. My net can handle the interface - but - why would I want to use it? The pop-up windows make it harder to read messages, alliance lists, and CTs. I can get a script to help me view it but why bother when the 4.5 version doesn't need it. Whoopie that I can see 'people' building those buildings. They don't take less time to build. They don't give me higher points. They are meaningless improvements when we still have a CT bug that you have to set your museums to zero and then re-add them to "fix" it.

      We have the pirate fortress - are you playing it? If you are then this is what the old fighting used to be. If you like it - then why are you saying they did a good job taking it away? I don't want the instantaneous fight but do battles really have to last so long? How about adding a counter for those folks who set off the colossus and come back 2 days later and have a fully functioning wonder? There should still be a day left on it - or what would be even better is if they would freeze the thing just like everything else about v mode.

      GF got nominated for an award for this game and asked us to vote for them - but we still are treated like the crazy uncle that you have to put up with during Holidays. Some of us pay for the game - and we should see the same consideration given to Ikariam as what is given to their precious O-game. We are losing people - not because the graphics weren't cool enough. We are losing people because GF thinks like you do. Fighting is meaningless and we should all sing Kum-by-yah and roast marshmallows as we tell Ika ghost stories.

      Question for you builders: the ones that think that winning is getting the highest score...how much ambrosia do you buy? This game runs on money - they would not have even started it if they didn't think it would make money. I would be willing to bet that pillagers/fighters spend more money in this game than do builders.

      @ Skyhawk - there is a script out there that stops the deletion of buildings. You just have to make sure it is the first script in your arsenal. The delete town problem has been changed since you now have to type in a code to verify that you do want to delete the town.

      automeris wrote:

      And I will tell you, I bet most of the people who have left, and many staying including myself, will NEVER try out another gameforge game. I have already looked at games on the web and just closed the browser window when I saw that GF was involved. One experience with this management style is enough for a lifetime.


    • In answer to your question, I have always used ambrosia. I started this game the old fashion way. Found it on my own, started one town and built from there without a single piece of wood from anyone else. I use ambrosia all the time to swap resources around rather than trade or ship things around. I have also used it on occasion to warp cities during those times I did need to fight to teach someone manners but what I have learned is that fighting is meaningless. You can not really harm anyone that does not allow themselves to be harmed. So perhaps your answer is that they put in a switch that allows you to decide if you wish to fight/pillage gold etc or just wish to be left alone to do as you wish. I don't have the time to fight, takes constant attention to do it correctly and as you have noted takes FOREVER for battles to play out. This is because folks are "fed" resources to be "fighters". If this was prevented fights would be shorter in duration because no one would have the resources or gold for these mega battles, it would all be scaled down accordingly.

      So yes, we do use ambrosia as well. I realize the game needs to be supported and you gotta pay to play, and so I do. Glad to hear you do the same! So again, I dont things GF is wrong, this isn't WAR, it's Ikariam. Those that just want to fight all the time should perhaps have a server to go to for that purpose that is dedicated to what I would refer to as such "lunacy". However, to each their own.