Pinned You decide! Which feature should be in next version.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• skyhawk wrote:

You can try to tell me that #2 isn't possible due to some technical restriction, but I'll have a hard time believing that.

We can also tell you that the #2 is not wanted by many players.

It's funny how people seems to forget a few points: those are features requested by users.
    This is a first poll, next month will bring a new one, with new features.

And even after an explaination about why you can't have some of them, you keep complaining and ask for them...

So in the end it's better to have no development at all that even minor changes that people want?
  • If they've all been requested by users, and are all simple to implement, then here's a novel idea - implement them all. But certainly don't make some song and dance about it, and claim it's giving control to the player-base.

Here's another tip for the developers. Install IkaEasy and/or Ikariam Enhanced UI, and implement every single feature in those that make the game playable. But again, don't make some song and dance about it.

It shouldn't be up to the players to decide, through some random vote, tiny adjustments to the game which really should just be common sense.

And yeah, you want me to spend money on the game again (and I've spent thousands of hard earned dollars over the years), then (1) make the mobile app actually work (as in fully functional), so I can get my money's worth out of buying ambro; and (2) give us some indication of where this game is heading going forward. And if the answer to that is "oh, we're just going to open new servers every 4-6 months to cream mass ambro buyers and encourage them to jump ship from server to server" allgood - at least then we'll know, and can plan our playing futures accordingly. Until then, keep creaming the new server junkies out of their parents' cash.

And if that little dragon turns up now with some winky smile comment ...

Alpha | Beta

The post was edited 1 time, last by Agamemnon1973 ().

• As I have seen for years - GameForge can do anything but players will be always angry about something...

So, briefly:
    • GF makes new versions => players are angry because they are not listened;
    • GF offers to implement some nice and for years requested features => players are angry because they are too small features.

And now I start to understand why GF doesn't listen to players - they never will be satisfied. The only one thing I wonder about - why these all whiners and complainers haven't made their own game if thay know so much about developing or so?

I wouldn't wonder if GF due your whining will stopped even this project... it will be better?
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein

The post was edited 1 time, last by Draxo ().

• You can thnk about me whatever you want - that won't change the fact that players are never satisfied. I agree that GF isn't the best company but in this time they offer at least something... but I doubt if you're able to understand that. ;)
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    (c) Albert Einstein
  • Draxo wrote:

As I have seen for years - GameForge can do anything but players will be always angry about something...

So, briefly:
    • GF makes new versions => players are angry because they are not listened;
    • GF offers to implement some nice and for years requested features => players are angry because they are too small features.

And now I start to understand why GF doesn't listen to players - they never will be satisfied. The only one thing I wonder about - why these all whiners and complainers haven't made their own game if thay know so much about developing or so?

I wouldn't wonder if GF due your whining will stopped even this project... it will be better?

Is this REALLY "listenimg to the players?" Let's be honest, this is just offering some people a little kiss when they CLEARLY could do all of them easily. Don't try to make this a point of what do vs what don't the players want. Yes, these are things that have been asked for by select few players.. now can we vote on something that is a 'MajoraGame-Changing Update' this isn't enpugh to claim the tip of the iceberg anymore. Them closing this project would at least show that they FINALLY realized they :censored:ed up since update.. oh idk, 0.3.0.

edit for abpve post -
    Offering something small this late into the game is like offering Nothing at all.

Sig by June 8)
    Love is like air, without it... I die.

spaPOT wrote:

no worriess..you see im a kid thats why im dumb..kuku :pillepalle:

The post was edited 2 times, last by bamcbix ().

• Ahhh bamcbix ... I'm glad you're still here :beer:

Little dragon, you honestly don't want to know what I think about you.

However, if you read my post, you'll see that I don't ever challenge them implementing these tiny little changes. In fact, I said, if they're wanted, and they're easy to code, and (implicitly) if GF is willing to implement them, then "wahey!" ... just do it, but don't act as if this is some wonderous move they're making by offering players choices. To do that to people who have invested years and thousands of dollars into these gaming communities is just poor form.

You'll also see that I offered them some grand advice - look at the plug-ins, add-ons, or whatever, that most knowledgeable and avid long-time players have been using all along, no matter whether some pencil-neck somewhere thinks they were "illegal" or not - look at them, implement the features they have. They could also have actually looked at holyschmidt's CR converter and pretty much copied it - they could have even asked him to help them out. But nope - what they gave was a CR converter without a real damage count. Brilliant ineptitude par excellence.

I also suggested that they spend time FINISHING the mobile app. That way, when people spend THEIR MONEY on THIS GAME, they actually get value for money, rather than being hobbled by some miraculous inability to do what other app developers try and achieve - a FINISHED PRODUCT.

Also, I imagine a lot of players would simply love some - any - indication as to where the game is heading. Because as it stands the vast majority of worlds are just Facebook with high score lists and the ego trips that inevitably come along with scores, But that's all they are. Well, that and money holes for people who simply "need" to have the biggest pirate score, or the best mines on a new server. I don't begrudge GF from making as much cash as they can. However, their strategy really seems to be deterring a large chunk of their player-base from spending one single brass razzoo more for a game with no direction and no apparent future, and for others, well - they just left anyway, and haven't really been replaced with new players - the desertion of new servers when even newer ones are opened seems a fair indication of that.

So, bank your 10 Euro cheerleader coupon, sit in judgement of the, I don't know?, 99% of players who contribute to the board community who virulently disagree with your views, and bask in that glow of righteousness you have ... it's at least a giggle from this perspective.

And personally, I couldn't care less if they bring back gold pillaging or not - people who think that will solve the game's problems are naive in the extreme. But SOMETHING is required, or we may as well all friend each other on FB and just argue there.

[Edit] And you ask why critics don't create their own games. I'm not a game developer. Trust me, in the profession I am a part of, I am very successful, know what I'm on about, and get the job done. My income from that profession has, until I became disillusioned, covered my Ikariam bills. That's pretty good of me. That's pretty good of everyone who commits THEIR MONEY to THIS GAME. I rely on game developers to develop games for me that I want to play. And really, the only game I play is this, because I'm a busy adult, with real life commitments. However, in entrusting someone else to develop my one little gaming vice, I'd like to think they know what they're doing. I'm pretty sure we can assume henceforth that they don't really know what they're doing at all. Smoke and mirrors, that's what we get. And excuses. And pretend expressions that they care what we think. Bravo to all concerned.

[2nd edit] NEVER presume to know what I understand or not. I imagine I'd surprise you. Unfortunately, you do not surprise me.

Alpha | Beta

The post was edited 2 times, last by Agamemnon1973 ().

• Ikariam please make some other ideas like gold pillaging would be fun. Maybe some new military units free from ambrosia. My BEST IDEA: "would be if when spying you can spy to intercept communication, it would be great if you can read their conversation not just view who sent it thanks that would improve the whole game for war" :beer:
  • Agamemnon1973 wrote:

If they've all been requested by users, and are all simple to implement, then here's a novel idea - implement them all. But certainly don't make some song and dance about it, and claim it's giving control to the player-base.

Here's another tip for the developers. Install IkaEasy and/or Ikariam Enhanced UI, and implement every single feature in those that make the game playable. But again, don't make some song and dance about it.

It shouldn't be up to the players to decide, through some random vote, tiny adjustments to the game which really should just be common sense.

And yeah, you want me to spend money on the game again (and I've spent thousands of hard earned dollars over the years), then (1) make the mobile app actually work (as in fully functional), so I can get my money's worth out of buying ambro; and (2) give us some indication of where this game is heading going forward. And if the answer to that is "oh, we're just going to open new servers every 4-6 months to cream mass ambro buyers and encourage them to jump ship from server to server" allgood - at least then we'll know, and can plan our playing futures accordingly. Until then, keep creaming the new server junkies out of their parents' cash.

And if that little dragon turns up now with some winky smile comment ...
    couldnt of been said any better.
  • I must say a few words here.

Ok. I've actually been following this thread and I can't help it anymore, I feel compelled to say a few things here:

1) Over on .org we don't have the ability or option to respond and discuss like we're doing here. Why? Or at least I did not see a discussion thread linked to the survey. I find this disturbing and feel we've been blocked/censored over there. :(

2) I've been playing this game for many years now and followed many threads and I can tell you all that GF only cares about one thing only: $$$$$. If anybody thinks otherwise then they're naive. GF is a company/corporation, plain and simple. We should all know and accept that to them it's about $$$$ only.

3) Yes. It's human nature. There will always be people that complain about anything and everything. That's the beauty of life itself and the world we live in. We all have different viewpoints and ideas about anything and everything. So don't be surprised there or get wound up over it or that will be the thing that will have you complaining and whining.

4) I have to say that I completely agree with Ag's earlier post. The 3 options don't seem like huge changes to anybody and in fact, most players see them as minor changes to the game, myself included. And as such, why shouldn't GF just go ahead and implement all 3? If anybody can't question or see the logic in that assessment, then surely something is wrong there. After all the complaints on the boards about GF ignoring their players, this is what they come up with to appease the crowds? Surely anybody can see that this feeble attempt at appearing to care and give us some choices/say in how the game works is just plain disingenuous of them. And if you can't see that, well... I guess there's nothing more to say here.

5) Finally with some hope, if it is the case that GF is genuinely trying to reach out to their player base here, then they made a very poor start of it. They went with 3 minor game changes that may as well all be implemented. Hopefully they'll recognize this and next time give us some true game altering features or add-ons to vote on.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Duke Wellington ().

• Maybe I got too super-excited pants when for the first time in the what 3 ish years I've been on staff we get a finalized "Yes, we will definitely put one of these in the next update" sort of answer from what is often a bit of a black box on our end. We send them suggestions and ...well we don't hear back always. As to why they are choosing only one option in all communities - I don't have anything definite, but I'm betting it's because these user requested small tweaks are limited in number. If I were a betting turkeh I'd say that to continue offering to add one of these a month - they're having to string them out one at a time? :/ Sorry that's my best guess - and I realize that likely doesn't make many of you feel much better.

Why is it that we don't hear back about feature requests being updated? I feel like a lot of this conversation is because people don't have...very accurate expectations about new features. Again reason why you don't see a lot of "in the works" discussions is because 1. losing credibility when you cannot keep to your own development schedule 2. length of time required for research and development. I see a lot of these suggestions and largely understand the why of why people want them - but half the time I want to say blarg it's not that simple.

Finally:

Duke Wellington wrote:

1) Over on .org we don't have the ability or option to respond and discuss like we're doing here. Why? Or at least I did not see a discussion thread linked to the survey. I find this disturbing and feel we've been blocked/censored over there.
    I don't think it's nefarious, honestly. I went over and looked at their boards - their poll is up in news, which is a section that doesn't allow user posts. I knew peeps would want to talk about it here so put it in our general section and did an ingame notice so folks wouldn't miss it. You might try poking a BA or smod over there about opening a discussion thread - I'm sure they won't mind.

P.S. Just because I volunteer for GF, doesn't mean I'm "omg GF is the super duper best *throws confetti*". I like many users here wish they would do some of the small things requested to make the game more entertaining/more easily navigated. That being said I think recently - last yearish or so - they're trying to add at least *some* things that are requested after a long stint of not adding very much. Not all of it is terrible. I think we are hearing the moaning after years of not being listened to - I think that's healthy and lol will keep our community manager informed of even those things I might not agree with.

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
    :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
  • netlock wrote:

Ikariam please make some other ideas like gold pillaging would be fun. Maybe some new military units free from ambrosia. My BEST IDEA: "would be if when spying you can spy to intercept communication, it would be great if you can read their conversation not just view who sent it thanks that would improve the whole game for war" :beer:
    ya that would be great if conversations were about war. but I play with some RL friends and some thing we say are really foul and other things may just be personal. This to me is like an email with a bonus of a game built into it. so that become an invading privacy problem that im sure well never happen.
  • Ahhh, you are an awesome Turkeh :beer:

I don't believe for a minute that any of the volunteer staff, either board or game focused, should face any grief from the wider player base - and I know a lot of you are just as frustrated as many of the rest of us are. And to be honest, the significant degree of frustration, impatience, and anger directed at GF and it's paid staff simply reflects the level of commitment so many of us have shown since those heady days of 2008/2009, and how they have utterly failed to foster an environment that can maintain that former glory. You don't sacrifice untold hours and God knows how much cash over a period of maybe 5 to 6 years without really adopting some degree of ownership of the game and more importantly the community. I came back to Epsilon ORG a few weeks ago, starting from scratch, just because it was where I started in 2008, and within a couple of days people I hadn't spoken to in maybe 18-24 months were messaging me with "welcome back old friend" sentiments. GF don't have ANY idea about the level of buy-in players have once they get rolling in the game (virtual crack, really, isn't it?).

And you guys generally do a stellar job, and I for one appreciate it, and I would hope that's the same for most players.

Heh - and your super-excited pants deserved a chance to step out!

If GF is beginning to show even the faintest signs of giving a damn about what the many many many thousands of players have been calling for for years now - direction, innovation, playability,good quality game development, vision - then wicked. But you and I both know that they better pull some truly magical rabbit out of their shabby tainted hat, or we may as well turn the game into a 3D shooter and all bugger off home. Fingers are crossed tightly, but I fear I'll develop cramp in those fingers before I get out the Visa again.

So we'll see, but I think we can all be forgiven for not really leaping with joy when they offer us some penny-ante poll in an attempt to stretch out, over a year possibly, the implementation of features which are basic and should all be bundled into one update, together with statements of intent. And a general apology for taking the proverbial for years now.

I hope you get to pull those pants on again soon ^^

Alpha | Beta
  • @ Turkeh -- no one is blaming staff for this fiasco. The April Fools joke? well you know the answer to that one.

This is strictly on the heads of the GF management.

Here is the thing - I know it has been said before but it bears repeating - the only thing that they are offering in their list of 'gifts' that we can't get from outside intervention is the seeing your alliance mates offers in the trading post. But I can get that by having a trade agreement. I would like to see their wants - but that wasn't offered.

I want the caps removed from the trading posts. We can now send gold with the Black Market so that effectively negates the claim that you were stopping evil gold pushing. The evil that was gold pushing was never stopped by putting in those caps anyway...it just caused people to have to make more trips. So that evil continued BUT it did stop legitimate trading. I am not going to travel 9-15 islands away to get 10 gold - it just aint happening. I tore down most of my posts and I was a trader. The two - I did keep? Well, I see the same people asking for stuff at the same prices and I am not sending my ships that far away for that little bit of gold.

There is no point in choosing a 'gift' - I already have them.

automeris wrote:

And I will tell you, I bet most of the people who have left, and many staying including myself, will NEVER try out another gameforge game. I have already looked at games on the web and just closed the browser window when I saw that GF was involved. One experience with this management style is enough for a lifetime.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Svana ().

• Turkeh wrote:

If I were a betting turkeh I'd say that to continue offering to add one of these a month - they're having to string them out one at a time?
    That fact is much more interesting. Though as previously said I'm going to echo, if they are such small and easily developed additions they should just be added into a single large "player suggested update" and have however many suggestions they plan on implementing in it all at once. And if they are all player suggestions then having a poll to determine which one the community would want...we want them all, we suggested them.

It seems like GF trying to connect with the community but falling short, a step in the right direction anyways.

My buildings guide -- My 0 Military Defense Guide
    * @Lissala slaps ImperialUser around a bit with a large trout
  • [quote='Ryoko','index.php?page=Thread&postID=1762763#post1762763'][quote='skyhawk','index.php?page=Thread&postID=1762757#post1762757']You can try to tell me that #2 isn't possible due to some technical restriction, but I'll have a hard time believing that.[/quote]

We can also tell you that the #2 is not wanted by many players.

It's funny how people seems to forget a few points: those are features requested by users.
    This is a first poll, next month will bring a new one, with new features.

And even after an explaination about why you can't have some of them, you keep complaining and ask for them...

So in the end it's better to have no development at all that even minor changes that people want?[/quote]

Smiles, I didn't ask for gold pillaging, or the oft wanted cavalry/chariot unit, or even for the phone app to be fixed/expanded. Those are oft stated requests that have been repeatedly ignored.

No, I actually did some due diligence in the past, and actually read what players had requested, and which were SUCCESSFUL in the suggestions section.

And I only picked a couple... want some more?

There have been a lot of requests to implement some of the APPROVED grease monkey scripts, especially now that the-powers-that-be have suggested that we not use grease monkey. The CR converter was FINALLY added after long being requested. Think some of the others could be implemented? After all, these were APPROVED already to be used by players. so there really is little reason to not implement them, even if just as toggle-able options. I stated the town enhancer (the hammers) earlier in this thread. But there are other useful ones. Oh and by the by - the link from resources to the mines/mills? That was a greasemonkey script too, once upon a time...

But ok, here's a couple that I don't know if have been successfully requested by board standards, but which I seem to recall being discussed:

How about user friendliness? give the option to see more than just 10 messages per page? or deal with the scrolling issues which have not been adequately fixed.

How about better linking? Like linking in the museum? If anything is a "friend's list", that is. and since to send a CT, sends the location of the town it is sent from, there is little reason to not link to the player's capitol through their name in the museum, not to mention linking the alliance to their external page.

Or how about? Or how about?

This isn't all about "gimme gold looting" or a new building or a new unit or more trade ships or bring back some old version of the combat system.

This is about making the game EASIER TO PLAY.

It already has a high learning curve with a lot of junk extras. Yes they may be fun for some, but it increases the learning curve.

And this without going into the fact that at some point they will likely need to deal with the old server vs new server wonder dispersement problem. And to deal with pushing and multi accounting through design rather than through thankless grunt work. And simply that portability is the wave of the future, and with varying screen sizes, they will need to better deal with things like scrolling on horizontal as well as vertical screen users

Yes, it's great that they're willing to add a couple links and change a bit of text - whoopee.

But maybe, just maybe there might be a reason that players are looking at this and going "Are you seriously kidding me?"

The post was edited 1 time, last by skyhawk: fixing a typo ().