server merge talk

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Hi,

    You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

    Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

    Ikariam team

    • Well a little more news that's heartening about the merge.

      Today on Zeta .mx (a server to be merged) I received in my inbox a message telling me to make sure I don't have any ongoing troop or goods transport missions ongoing during the time of the merge as that would risk losing them. This message came 36 hours prior to the merge will go down. Also, any buildings under construction will be paused. After the merge everything will continue normally. I did not receive any such message on Iota .mx (a target server).


      Heather wrote:

      But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

      HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

      But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • For the record:

      I'm really, just disgusted with the target server screwjob. On us.ikariam they REALLY should start with new servers for all.

      This whole argument about source and target servers is a joke anyway, we're talking about portable software.... They could open any number of servers if they wanted. And if they are like any other business, they could open a server of any of the past versions. So they can indeed create a new legacy server, and then apply the more recent updates, if people wanted one. Or they can create all new ones, or speed ones, or Ares-like ones, etc. So the mind game that's being played here is this side of criminal.

      As I mentioned awhile back, the game "jumped the shark" (look it up), awhile ago. This was and is an opportunity to inject some excitement into the game.

      Instead, we get "this".

      The game isn't dead, and won't be for awhile, but there's a good chance that doing the merge with "haves and have nots" will be a moment that even the most obtuse will say, wow that was not a good moment for the game. And from a business perspective. I'm repeatedly amazed at some of the choices made. If one has a cash cow, you want to keep it healthy, not starve it.. But whatever. Prognosticating isn't worth the paper it may be printed upon.

      Shrugs.

      I guess I'll go back to (as I've heard others say about themselves) idly pushing wine and chatting with friends. that and watching children bicker on the boards seems all that's left of this increasing shell of a game...

      Happy building.
    • I disagree with skyhawk

      Most people I have seen over the years support the merge into other active current servers. There will always be those unhappy with their choices and how the move is done, but if GF goes with what they seem to have said, it should work out well. The object should be to take the smallest servers and use their population to bring the larger servers up to at least a 50% occupancy. I could even see a 75% occupancy. More than that would stifle player growth. Personally I think we will see a number of player drop out, but some have already done that with nearly permanent V-Status. Not because the game is bad , but because they moved on in their lives to other interests.
    • Server merge on .mx has happened. Iota went from 1,145 accounts to 3,185 in a shot while. The island are mostly jam-packed and I doubt that the town moves will help much unless you have a migration to the outskirts to open the center. Alliances that want to create strongholds will not be able to so in the center unless they are lucky. As of now I don't think town moves for the natives would help them much because it's rare to find an island not with 16 cities. For reference during this discussion my two accounts are Yttam from Zeta and Kaleg Nar on Iota prior. Both are now on Iota. Only major gripe I have now is I can only log in on one of them, not both, at one time. If things could be tweaked so I could have two tabs for the same server with different account that'd be great. I was greated by this message

      The message basically lists the number of free town moves I have left, the number of building material left in my donation fund, and lists the end date of the merge event. The 1,000 satisfication is for all players even the ones merged into so that's nice to save wine with.. In addition tradeships are getting a bonus 20% increase in their speed during this event.

      Town moves are easy to understand. Although the ability to get a good spot is low, the process of moving is easy. They tapped into the ambro feature and for those that are merged it reads a 0 ambro cost instead of a 200 ambro cost.


      Donations are easy to use when you can use them. I cannot attest how easy it will be to use a large donation fund however. Donations will come from the fund first and then the city's building material. Upgrades are only taking 12 hours. Here's a pic from 20 minutes later for a mill upgrade that's going on.


      And here's a picture of the donation fund


      Multis are easy to make. So long as you follow the process I find it hard that anyone will get banned because it's so simple. First you go to options>IP Sharing (IP Compartida in the pic). Then you enter the player's name.

      After that send them a message of an IP Sharing Treaty Offer

      And have the other account accept. It is a very easy process.


      Heather wrote:

      But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

      HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

      But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • Kaleg Nar wrote:

      Server merge on .mx has happened. Iota went from 1,145 accounts to 3,185 in a shot while.

      I wonder how long it will be before server populations reduce to pre-merger numbers due to players leaving. Maybe GF is counting on the new legal multis to mask this.
    • New Servers

      Personally I want it. I just started playing again and the old servers would be to densely populated by players who could quash a new guy. So I went to the recommended server Psi instead of the server I use to play on. Point is I'm so isolated from all other players that if a battle was to break out it would have to be my own island mates who are all apart of the same alliance sorta ruining pillaging for me.

      The merger would equal more people to fight and fun times. :gamer:
    • i copy and pasted this conversation from the other thread just thought is should go here

      Proteus
      Spearman




      Posts: 5
      Location: Own Mind
      Alliance(s): Pillage
      Servers: Psi
      Aliases: Santiago, MinnowWisp(previously)

      undefined


      4


      Today, 3:55am



      I'm pretty stoked about getting free moves. I'm roughly twenty hours away from my alliance so it would be awesome to move near them. :)



      undefined
      board.us.ikariam.gameforge.com…-behold/#skipPoint1788221

      Lord Megatron
      Slinger




      Posts: 35
      Location: pa
      Occupation: othere
      Alliance(s): unite
      Servers: Eta

      undefined


      5


      Today, 12:29pm



      And to me that is the number one reason people on the target severs should be given the free moves just like everyone elsa How is it fair that everyone who moves to there server will be able to set up shop right next to all there alliance mates but the people who are all ready there are stuck where ever there at so if there 20 hours away there screwed



      undefined
      board.us.ikariam.gameforge.com…-behold/#skipPoint1788228

      Ryoko
      ☆ Sweet Angel ☆




      Posts: 128
      Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...
      Occupation: Yaoist
      Servers: Beta
      Tau

      undefined


      6


      Today, 2:33pm



      I don't fully agree with that. It's their server; They now it. They choosed on purpose where to set their colonies. they had the choice, they were able to pick the best places according to their ally mate, the ressources, the miracles and the level of the mines/mills. Which those that will be propulsed on this server might not be able to do. They already have a big advantage, why giving them more?

      Ryoko@Ikariam.com




      undefined
      board.us.ikariam.gameforge.com…-behold/#skipPoint1788232

      Lord Megatron
      Slinger




      Posts: 35
      Location: pa
      Occupation: othere
      Alliance(s): unite
      Servers: Eta

      undefined


      7


      Today, 3:39pm



      I can understand that and yes some of the experienced player may have done that but i guess iam just going off my past history.when i started playing ikariam i had no clue what i was doing i was a noob. So where i was placed on the map is where i started building my account i have made alot of mistakes along the way so i know better now. I will be getting to move so it not going to hurt me but for me if my server was the target server i would be very upset that i didnt get to move or atleast have the chance. As far as why people say they shouldnt be allowed i can see your points have some merit but over all its not right to give to some and not to othere. Instead of doing it that way everyone should be merged to new servers and do away with anyone staying in the sever that they are in. That takes away any reason not to treat everyone the same. But at the same time all the people who was smart enough to do it all right the first time around what good would the free move do them if they all ready have the best spots why would they move.the event only last 18 days so if they dont move they just lose it so in the end i see it as the haves and have nots. If they are so well set up as you have stated then the free moves dont do any thing for them excepted make them feel treated the same but if they move from such a great spots better for you is my thinking why would that upset you

      [list][*][/list]
    • I don't care if they are source or target, to not give those currently on the legacy servers (with the old wonder distribution etc.) the free move is flat out a crime.
      create new servers then.
      After all, a "server" in this case is merely a software package.
      If this is "starting fresh", then START FRESH!
      merging to existing servers is like setting up haves and have nots.
      we all should be given equal benefit, not some yes and some no.
      [turkeh]I did ask for at least one move for those on target servers and was told no. I did try, however. This being said it may not be as large an issue as people are thinking. Those that are incumbents will have "first dibs" so to speak to block off areas or plan ahead. It also largely depends on HOW POPULATED the new merged servers are. If they are highly populated, islands could be filled up to the point where your "free town move" puts you on the edges of the map, should you choose to want to change.[/turkeh]
      Will gameforce erase the boards? As different alliances from different servers will meet for the first time, boards can be useful to check the background of other alliances. This can be helpful for alliance diplomatic relationships.
      [turkeh]Nope, we won't erase, but likely we'll archive. We're thinking of putting links into the merged boards to the archives for easy finding - because people may or may not all merge from exodus servers to the same target. If you folks have ideas that would make this easy to use/useful please let us know.[/turkeh]
      2 of my users will be able to be in the same alliance?
      [turkeh]If you mean two of your accounts - yes, but they would have to avoid contact.[/turkeh]
      While (as far as I know) we were never told the true reason for the wonders change, I seem to recall it was suspected that it was due to some ambrosia benefits that GF was hoping people would buy once the 10% benefits were gone.
      [turkeh]Meh they were extremely buggy. If I were to wager a guess - that would be my guess.[/turkeh]
      How I read the point by game forge on the legacy servers was that legacy servers would no longer be arouund, instead all the servers available would be under the newer standard server map set up. So hepha's not just on sulfur islands for example. the ambiguity lies in the idea that game forge is considering merging legacy servers to legacy servers instead of just eliminating legacy servers as maps altogether as they initially said. I suspect, for simplicity and uniformity sake, that legacy servers will just be eliminated and all those on those servers will be mergees to later servers under the now standard server map.
      [turkeh]No sir, legacy servers may still exist. I say may because I'm not certain as of yet.


      Even though we've been told no, I will still communicate the why of why people are upset about not being able to move if on a target server.[/turkeh]




      Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • Montka wrote:

      However, it is clear from my perspective that settlement slots on well-developed islands are fiercely contested in the center area of the server. Massive settlements of non-alliance members on a soon-to-be alliance island, for instance, lead to changes in the settlement plans of our alliance which ultimately also resulted in the relocation of my towns.

      polandpoland wrote:

      Well it's very unlikely that players who come to target servers be able to get very contested islands either since they will be already filled.

      If I may interrupt for a moment, please allow me to point out that you missed Montka's point entirely.

      Your assertions to the contrary notwithstanding, most alliances do not want to settle on contested islands but particularly on uncontested ones.

      The reason for this is simple: settling on uncontested islands allows for the creation of alliance strongholds in an easy manner with advantages such as increased protection, no mill and wonder leeching, etc.



      Turkeh wrote:

      I did ask for at least one move for those on target servers and was told no. I did try, however.

      If I may ask, is there any particular reason why you asked for exactly 1 free town move for target players?

      On a related note, are you perhaps allowed to state the reason why you were told "no", if any reasons were stated? And if so, do you intend to share these reasons with the community?



      Turkeh wrote:

      If they are highly populated, islands could be filled up to the point where your "free town move" puts you on the edges of the map, should you choose to want to change.

      If they are indeed highly populated, being located on the edge of the map will not be a big deal anymore.

      Regardless of population density estimates, it is safe to say that many players will choose to settle together with their alliance comrades, even if doing so entails settling on the edge of the map.



      The post was edited 1 time, last by Griggs ().

    • Griggs wrote:

      "Turkeh" wrote:

      I did ask for at least one move for those on target servers and was told no. I did try, however.



      If I may ask, is there any particular reason why you asked for exactly 1 free town move for target players?

      On a related note, are you perhaps allowed to state the reason why you were told "no", if any reasons were stated? And if so, do you intend to share these reasons with the community?

      I would guess the main reason is for folks on legacy servers to get at least 1 free move to help mitigate not being on island xyz and getting a wonder of their choosing. Also it's a starting point, if they arn't going to give 1 free move you can conclude they won't be giving 1 per town.


      My buildings guide -- My 0 Military Defense Guide
      * @Lissala slaps ImperialUser around a bit with a large trout