Which Government do you use and why?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Which Government do you use and why?

The Title says it all: Which Government do you use and why? I'm more interested in the why than which form of Government you use. If you don't use a Government, then by default you use Ikacracy. My intent is to get as much feedback on this as possible so as to formulate an idea I have been Brainstorming for some time now. If my hunch is correct, only a few Governments, just like Wonders no less, are being utilized and therefore my intention is to change that.

I myself utilize Dictatorship. Although the negative satisfaction does hurt, the extra tradeships and military buffs are worth it. In the long run, this IS a military game after all so any boost to that area is what I strive to do.

PS: I'll be having a Mod add a poll to this thread with the various forms of Government.
    • Early Game: Democracy: At this stage the happiness is really useful. In addition you get research points per CT which have a small, but good research point bonus. Plus as a Sea Fighter, ground troop build time hasn't really concerned me. Democracy is one of the only two useful governments in my opinion because of the free 75 happiness and extra research points.

Late Game: Theocracy: Recently I've considered the shift to Theocracy on my Ypsilon. It reduces wonder cooldown time and your priests don't detract from gold production. It is the excellent form of govt. for the fighter and after you've gotten a few temples on a wonder, its effects are more considerable.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • I actually use Technocracy, not because I care about science anymore, but because it's so useful for unskilled workers to actually make a difference...

Some Things Are Better Forgotten

-Original 2009 ViP Delta and DARK Iota Player-
    • technocracy for the help with research in the beginning
      Then theocracy
      For the reasons that Kaleg stated but also for the satisfaction boost. My accounts are built so they rely on that and I am not dependent on CTs. Totally self-sufficient.
    • That all depends on whats going on with my alliance, during war I use a dictatorship for the reduced troop and ship build times and in peace democracy for the satisfaction boost. Sometimes I'll use technocracy for the research boost if I want/need a research but most of the time I just use those two.

"The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during war."

"You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way."

"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons."

"Only the dead have seen the end of the war."

"Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head."
    • Probably should have added this in my OP but I'd like to know WHY you don't use the other forms of Government? Is it because of the Corruption? Is it because the benefits aren't that worthwhile? What's the reason you don't use certain forms of Government(like Oligarchy or Aristocracy for example)?

To answer my own question, its largely due to the corruption. I go to the trouble of removing it completely by upgrading GR's but to have that Form of Government requires having Corruption or having my Palace and GR one level above what I normally would have them at.
    • I'm a democrat. I've built big, so extra satisfaction is hard to come by, and I have big museums so the research boost from CTs is nice too. The downside is almost negligible because I'm largely peaceful and have massive barracks to compensate for training times.

The other forms of government have no real appeal to me. Acquiring resources for upgrades are usually far more limiting factors for me these days than time, so aristocracy is pointless. I'm peaceful, so dictatorship is out (and I'd rather stock up gold with extra satisfaction anyway). My GRs are almost all up to snuff, so nomocracy's useless. Oligarchy might be nice just for the cargo ship speed boost and bonus cargo ships, but I don't do very much trading and the negatives do both hurt. No helping hands rules out technocracy (the research costs are a push). I have very few temples so theocracy would definitely hurt.
    • DarkHelmet wrote:

The Title says it all: Which Government do you use and why? I'm more interested in the why than which form of Government you use. If you don't use a Government, then by default you use Ikacracy. My intent is to get as much feedback on this as possible so as to formulate an idea I have been Brainstorming for some time now. If my hunch is correct, only a few Governments, just like Wonders no less, are being utilized and therefore my intention is to change that.

I myself utilize Dictatorship. Although the negative satisfaction does hurt, the extra tradeships and military buffs are worth it. In the long run, this IS a military game after all so any boost to that area is what I strive to do.

PS: I'll be having a Mod add a poll to this thread with the various forms of Government.

I use technocracy. I am done with researches and want to maximize my resource production. Unskilled workers can produce resources fairly cheaply with a maxed booster building, ambrosia boost, and technocracy.

Also, this is not a military game. It has military aspects, but ultimately this is far closer to a building game than a military game. Every other game GF makes is many times more militaristic than this game. I hate when people claim that this is a military game because honestly, it has one of the worst battle mechanics of any online game out there.
    • dangderr wrote:

DarkHelmet wrote:

I use technocracy. I am done with researches and want to maximize my resource production. Unskilled workers can produce resources fairly cheaply with a maxed booster building, ambrosia boost, and technocracy.

Also, this is not a military game. It has military aspects, but ultimately this is far closer to a building game than a military game. Every other game GF makes is many times more militaristic than this game. I hate when people claim that this is a military game because honestly, it has one of the worst battle mechanics of any online game out there.
      The game may have bad battle mechanics but to say its not a military game is far from the truth. Every building decision you do is an investment in bolstering your ability to make war. Be it to increase your Economic Output(which includes number of Towns(Palace/GR), Satisfaction(Tavern, Museum and Temple(if Theocracy is your Government), Town Size(Town Hall) and Boosters), your ability to Train or Construct Military units faster and cheaper(Barracks, Shipyard and Reducers) and increasing the Town's Defenses(Wall and Hideout),

Keep voting and replying. The more feedback on this topic the better.
    • It's far from a military game. At best you could say the military mechanics are an rts, but the military aspect of the game is better used by decidedly not using it as a military game. Espionage, waving, fleeing, using wonders, sneak attacks, all combine to make one great spy-type system. But the military aspect of the game by itself? It's a simple king of the hill - who has the biggest army.

You could even make the argument that waving is just fixing a broken mechanic in damage and shouldn't be needed, making the "strategy" of "military" that much less involved.

My buildings guide -- My 0 Military Defense Guide
      * @Lissala slaps ImperialUser around a bit with a large trout
    • The idea that this is a builder game would be correct. You can do all those economic things to be able to bolster your ability for war, but then not make any temples, not make any barracks or shipyards..... so i'd like to hear how economic decisions HAVE to be intended just to have higher abilities of war....

Fighters can be builders
      Builders can be fighters

^True, yes, but you basically just said

Builders are fighters because that's the only way the game mechanics are made.

To get on topic, for my main and largest account, I use Theocracy. Keeps perma forge on, satisfaction goes up, cheaper upkeep, and I have no academies, so I basically get all the positives, and none of the negatives. I've thought about using the one with the HH 20% upgrade, but haven't gotten around to it, because I have used that on some other accounts.
    • Theocracy is my government of choice because I like the name Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Well, that and I activate my Poseidon five times a day. Plus the satisfaction boost is handy when trying to fill large (36+) Town Halls.
      "It is your fate, forgetfulness. All the old lessons of life, you lose and gain and lose and gain again." --Leto II

• I think that the value of Theocracy is much greater on the newer servers, where people were able to place their towns to take advantage of useful wonders. On the older servers, the majority of people placed on wonders which were useful at the time (production boost) but no longer have a power that would provide a benefit even if activated. Those players have no incentive to build temples, and would certainly not use Theocracy.
    • automeris wrote:

Those players have no incentive to build temples, and would certainly not use Theocracy.

So it would be impossible for a player with a 5.5 year old, 40 million TS account on one of the first five servers to be running Theocracy non-stop since governments were added to the game in August 2011? :zipped:
      "It is your fate, forgetfulness. All the old lessons of life, you lose and gain and lose and gain again." --Leto II

• Kralizec! wrote:

So it would be impossible for a player with a 5.5 year old, 40 million TS account on one of the first five servers to be running Theocracy non-stop since governments were added to the game in August 2011?
      Of course not! Some people didn't pay attention to wonders when they first built, maybe building on islands near friends, and ended up with Colossus or Poseidon randomly, some people started after 0.3.0 (January 2009, just more than 5.5 years ago) when Sulfur became worthwhile, and they built on Sulfur islands, ending up with Forges when the sulfur boost became the Forge. Older players built new towns on Sulfur after 0.3.0 as well.

And, of course, when GF made the previously useful wonders useless, and others useful, it was not random, it was done at the same time they introduced the expensive ambrosia feature of teleporting towns. People willing to pay GF extortion money could end up on whatever wonder they wanted.

(This was, in fact, the point that Ikariam switched from a game that made money for the company that ran it to a profit-making enterprise that could be viewed as a game. Before that Ambrosia features were just ease of interface, but since, more and more with each new Ambrosia feature--Ikariam has become pay-to-win.)

I was just pointing out with my comment that statistically, the results are likely to be different on the new servers, where people could plan their strategy based on wonders, than on the old servers, where the people who did that got screwed and are stuck with useless ones.

On the early servers an Ambrosia player, or a very lucky one, could easily have multiple Poseidon cities, and if that number is 4 or 5 (with 6 Poseidon towns there is no advantage to any faster cool-down) having Theocracy would allow (needs a long raid every night with 4) non-stop double speed ships, potentially worth more than a million extra goods a day pillaged or shipped. But that will be much more prevalent on the newer servers (especially the ones that have Forges off sulfur) than on the older ones.

Do you disagree that the vast majority of non-ambrosia players on the old servers, those who had 10 or 11 towns before Gameforge changed the wonders, are stuck with mostly Hades, Athene, and Demeter towns? None of those people will be using Theocracy.

And if you are talking about those mega-accounts on Epsilon, I am pretty sure that Paag (What ever happened to him? Or to Unique1?) and at least two of the three current large accounts on Epsilon that have outdistanced the rest of the US servers use Ambrosia.
    • ImperialUser wrote:

But the military aspect of the game by itself? It's a simple king of the hill - who has the biggest army.

IU, you have no idea what you are talking about in relation to winning a fight/war. Absolutely zero. So why spread nonsense?

For government types I'll take theo every time. I like forge, poseidon and colossus a good deal. It's one of the many ways for a small army to completely destroy a much larger army. :sniper:

If you can get away with avoiding conflict, simcity mode, and do not have decent temples, then demo is probably the best bet.
      Do Not Disturb My Circles
    • You'll find Theocracy is used by the majority in all servers.
      Not for any philosophical grounds, but simply because it offers the best pro's vs con's

This is especially true for anyone fighting, because anyone fighting is going to be using forge and probably dolphin.
      Theocracy means the difference between needing 6 and 7 forge towns for 24/7 forge.

It also offers happiness bonuses for faith, and some gold return for priests (which if your using miracles you'll have to fund already anyway)

When you take a hard look at the governments for the vast majority of players Theocracy is going to come in as a no-brainer.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.
    • Nomocracy from about palace 5 till your final GR 11 is completed,e xpanding with 1 level of corruption present once the new colony is placed, this maximises rapid expansion and development without taking the far longer route of eliminating otehrwise debilitating corruption ahead of time. Most people don't use it and expand with no corruption, so when people build a level 11 palace and 10 level 11 GR's when someone else has had the 12th colony out before the GR 11's were being consrtructed and at about the level 7-8 GR the corruption has now evened out across the board and income is greater then 11 base colonies despite the corruption, bam, nomocracy, saved you many months of development and in that time increases the resources available and spee dof your own development significantly vs others.

Post nomocracy it is dependent on play style. theocracy is used by many, technocracy is also useful, Democracy is used as well.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D