Deal breaking changes?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Deal breaking changes?

Ikariam is doing merge. Which is effectively something they have promised never to do. To never let servers end. But fact is that old servers are now ending and new ones are beginning. They just have some of the work we have done in past in them. Still this isint first time game has changed drastically. Introduction of occupation, new battle system, new wonders, piracy and new ambro features..

When ever we are introduced these new drastic changes there are rage quitters and in the end we are at current point. This game is at verge not to be profitable anymore and for players.. I think most of us have lost sights on if this is fun game to play anymore. Personally I have bought ambrosia with 5000-6000 euros in all my accounts together. But during last half year I have given away almost every account I have had and I havent bought single ambro any more. I find myself waiting the deal breaking change that will effectively stop me coming back to this game.

So what would be yours? Would it be legal multies? Ambro units? What are top 3 new uppdates that would make you stop logging in?

1. Legal multies
      2. "Free" ambrosia units
      3. Anything that makes game faster
      - There are a lot faster paced games that are better than this
    • Your keeping all of your progress, so what's it matter if the name of the server your on changes?

I don't know that any change they made could make me want to leave because the essence of the game is why I choose to play Ikariam, progress doesn't reset. I played my share of other RTS games where progress did reset without any kind of rollover compensation and got tired of that because I'm more of a builder. If at some point they decided to truly reset servers, including progress, then I'd probably leave.

My buildings guide -- My 0 Military Defense Guide
      * @Lissala slaps ImperialUser around a bit with a large trout
    • ImperialUser wrote:

Your keeping all of your progress, so what's it matter if the name of the server your on changes?

This depends on what you mean by progress. For the players who look solely at their buildings or TS, yes we get to keep those. But the players who consider other things as their major accomplishments, not so much.

-Leaderships all over have built up alliances. These will be erased and forced to start over.

-Players who have built up their island mines will have to start over. Yes we'll be given credits for our own donations, but that doesn't replace the donations of other players who may or may not still play, and most likely won't be on the same islands even if they do continue.

-Players who have built up nice arrangements with their neighbors for treaties (Trade treaties, GRs, etc) or have worked on friendships with their island mates for defensive purposes will have to start over.

-Players who have purchased ambrosia to move their cities into strategic locations for dealing with certain enemies are going to lose that. (never mind the feeling of having wasted ambrosia moving towns in the first place.)

-Alliances with proud histories, fierce reputations, and strong ties to their allies will have to rebuild all of that.

But we get to keep our cities. Somehow this isn't much of a consolation.

back on topic with the original purpose of this thread. ;)

I think one of the biggest detrimental changes they made was installing trade caps. Not only did it become very difficult to push gold to fighters, but it shut down a lot of trading being done by regular peaceful traders. It no longer matters where your trading posts are. The highest you can sell stuff is pre-determined. We can forget about making gold off of selling excess wine. (I used to do that, and I had a few neighbors who did the same. When the max price dropped to 7pg we gave up.)

Introduction of the piracy game was another major downgrade in my opinion. The number of 0 ms players has skyrocketed. While some of these are probably friends/family/etc of players who needed CP farms, a lot of these are players who will never see the use of having military. Don't pillage people, play piracy! While I'm not going to complain about a new wave of farms, it does mean that when these players are confronted by the old-fashioned pirate players (i.e. pillagers) they have no concept of why they're being attacked or why they need to have military. And they eventually quit playing. So it's a short-term gain of players but a long term loss. Only 50 players will win at piracy in any given round. That's not a lot when there are hundreds of people competing for those resources.

All the little perks that ambrosia players have over non-ambrosia players are another annoyance. I understand that GF needs to make a profit, and I salute the players who do buy a lot of ambrosia to play. But this game used to feel like a game that you didn't NEED to spend real money on to compete. Now the ambrosia players have so many things they can do to help their game play that it's feeling like "he who has the most money wins." Imagine being on a new server, and someone goes from 2 million TS to 4 million TS in a matter of days. It's happened. What's the point of competing when people can buy everything?

The things that keep me here are the friendships I've built up over the years and the idea of maintaining my alliances. If it was just a matter of trying to stay in the top 100 TS, I would have quit a long time ago. Warfare and friendships are two things that ambrosia can't buy.

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
    • JuneBarcarolle wrote:

-Leaderships all over have built up alliances. These will be erased and forced to start over.
      - A little communication and leadership overseeing the transition of your members, progress not lost.

-Players who have built up their island mines will have to start over. Yes we'll be given credits for our own donations, but that doesn't replace the donations of other players who may or may not still play, and most likely won't be on the same islands even if they do continue.
      - Donation of other members is not your progress, your progress is not lost.

-Players who have built up nice arrangements with their neighbors for treaties (Trade treaties, GRs, etc) or have worked on friendships with their island mates for defensive purposes will have to start over.
      - This is part of playing the game, things change. And if you have such friendships again communicate and keep your community going to the same location. Progress not lost.

-Players who have purchased ambrosia to move their cities into strategic locations for dealing with certain enemies are going to lose that. (never mind the feeling of having wasted ambrosia moving towns in the first place.)
      - Everyone will get free town movements to place them wherever they want, progress not lost and a gain to folks that haven't purchased them.

-Alliances with proud histories, fierce reputations, and strong ties to their allies will have to rebuild all of that.
      - Repeat from above, if you have such strong ties communicate and move to the same location. Progress not lost.
      Sorry for the bluntness, but all the nay-saying is just getting old. I'm all for bashing GF on their faults, lack of communication, seeming lack of player interest etc. But how this updates been handled so far has been completely within reason, they've given us plenty of warning on something they are working on, taken feedback and given us updated information on those major complaints. The worst thing folks have to complain about is "we won't see each other any more"...

• ImperialUser wrote:

Your keeping all of your progress, so what's it matter if the name of the server your on changes?

So far this is only answer to this topic I have read from you. For you it would be deal breaker if GF would just press delete and start servers fresh.. For me not so much any more. I have given away all the accounts that I had strong feelings for. I have one account in ypsilon that has about 150k points at the moment. I really dont care if that is deleted. BUT I have given away 10million point account. Losing that didint stop me coming back.

ImperialUser wrote:

Sorry for the bluntness, but all the nay-saying is just getting old.

Then you havent really got the idea of this thread. Im not asking what were the most horrific changes in this game. But what type possible changes would make you quit playing. Quit coming back. Like so many others have done in the past. What really makes this game to be above others and is something you dont want to be lost or what has been so traumatising change to you that you dont want to see anything like that again. You should understand the difference in tone if you really love playing this game. If you really want to keep this game to be as good it is or make it better. This topic isint about ranting on what happened in the past. Even when those experiences are big part on what we dont want to see in future.

ImperialUser wrote:

Your keeping all of your progress,

If this is defence for legal multies then its lazy one. There is tons of ways avoiding multies and keep your "progress". Hey, even in game they have coded a way to restrict movements of new players inside their island cluster. So why it is so hard to code restrictions between 2 accounts owned by 1 household. I have never understood the need of rules when cheating could be made nearly impossible.

And yeah like June said we lose a lot and many players have to adjust their tactics.. Even alliances. This is lots of work and legal multies will make it to be all for nothing. Add those legal multies in this soup and social game will get huge blow. Anyone who has fought against multies since day one knows this. And thats why they dont want to see their social game ruined.

Also yes, you may think you are keeping all your progress.. But Im sure you know that it aint the case. A lot will be lost and you have to build those again. You have to adjust and change in order stay in good course. And no Im not just talking about mines or agreements. Nor friendships and alliances.. Im talking about your account. To you it might look the same, smell the same.. But it wont be the same.. I have built my accounts pretty much Identical for years. But every server looks different. Every account feels different. Different alliances, TS list, map.. These are things that will make you feel like you are not playing with the same account you played before.. Even when you see you haven lost all that "progress" the changed surroundings will make you look at your account from different light. It wont be the same.. It wont be your account any more.. Its new account in new server and the days of old are gone. And what you have to build again is that connection you have to your account. That progress is lost no matter how they will do the merge.

Is this a bad thing.. Not necessarily.. Personally Im happy about the merge, but Im not going to play with multies. That is just asking too much..

The post was edited 1 time, last by VerGe ().

• I am guessing that he does not belong to an alliance where he feels strong ties to the leadership...I consider my allies as a part of my family. Even when we are mad at each other - they are still the ones I log into the game to 'see'. I am going to be very upset to lose them because of some stupid idea that gets added to the game because GF doesn't know it is important.

We have gotten hosed in the past when they arbitrarily changed the wonders - changed them with no advance warning - this was a biggie. It took many people years to get over it - some people had to pay to fix that problem left by doing just THAT one thing. And some people just quit. And even GF eventually realized they screwed that up because the new servers don't have to deal with the wonder placement that is on the legacy servers.

SO I am sorry if we seem to be bashing your idol. But there are things that people will not keep playing IF they happen and I have been reading this thread trying to see what those are because I am in the leadership (if HS counts as part of the leadership) of most of my accounts. And I have been asking are we using the OLD server island set ups? Or the NEW server island set ups? And no one knows at this time. That's fine - I am on legacy servers for the most part and the newer servers have it easier BUT what if they don't keep the new server set up? Will the newer players find that a deal breaker? I might if I was a newer player.

Are we going to get to choose what server to merge into? Or is that choice going to be made by GF? That is another question that needs to be answered before we get too close to the merge...I am glad that they informed of us that they were merging because that gives us a bit of time to prepare - BUT - there are still questions that I would like answered before they do it. And GF has a habit of telling its customers to like it or leave it, after the fact. And leaving is what we are trying to prevent, doncha think?

If everyone is moving their towns on the same day on a server- is the server going to be strong enough to bear that load of ALL those people logging in - at about the same time - to move towns to better wonders? GF doesn't take into account the wonders when you ghost but that is what people care about. Why else would someone have 24/7 forges (only sulfur) on legacy servers? What happens when all the forges are taken over? What happens to the people that don't get one because the server crashes because of load? I will probably end up with a legal multi...sorry but that's just the way it is going to be. I am not concerned about that but someone else may be... they have the right to be concerned. Your comments make is seem like you don't think they have that right.

I understand that being in an alliance and not feeling close to the the people inside gives you a unique perspective but some of us would be upset if half of our numbers ended up on a different server and I may be the only one but I will be upset if I lose only one of my friends to a different server simply because there is no room for them.

automeris wrote:

And I will tell you, I bet most of the people who have left, and many staying including myself, will NEVER try out another gameforge game. I have already looked at games on the web and just closed the browser window when I saw that GF was involved. One experience with this management style is enough for a lifetime.

• It's true I'm not invested in my alliance as much any more, but that's simply because I don't have the time to dedicate to Ikariam now that I am creating my own games. There was a time when I was diplomat for all the alliances I was in, but being invested in the alliance means being invested in it. Once more details are given to us like how the merger will happen then we can talk with our alliance(s) and get everyone on the same page before the merger.

Another safety net is set up a form of communication outside of Ikariam so when the merger does happen you can still communicate with your members and keep everyone on the same page through the transition.

The biggest concern should be if you choose what server to merge to, make sure everyone goes to the correct server. Next being once everyone is in and communicating, where to set up your new base of operations for your alliance.

• It's a month ago since someone wrote in this thread, and perhaps there is greater interest in the other threads about server merger, but I still have a comment for this one.

It is about legal multi accounts.- I do not see legal multi as something desirable, more like a curse. - I have 3 usa accounts and 3 DK accounts and my biggest fear is, that I might end up having a legal tripple account on one usa server and also on one DK server.

I intend to stay in my usa alliances, where I have been for a long time, because of my friends. As Svana so well describes it, they are almost my family. Imagine I have 3 account on the same server and am a member of 3 alliances, and they may come to war over some islands we all want. - I'm at war with myself !!!

The Danish alliances are now very small, on almost dead servers, and maybe I choose to have all three account in the same alliance. Can I resist the temptation to send wine to one account from another account ? Can I resist the temptation to sell soldiers to myself ? - I have to resist, but it puts me in a difficult situation, especially if the ones I usually trade with, ending up on other servers.

Obviously I can give away one or two of my DK accounts, but who will treat it just as well as I do ? After years of hard work and some ambrosia to transform goods, I will not give it to a random person, but only to an experienced player.
      I suppose this merger will cause a great deal of account switches between servers.
    • A little communication and leadership overseeing the transition of your members, progress not lost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rageblind ().