Server Merge Idea -- Open To Critique

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Server Merge Idea -- Open To Critique

This is all just a big theory from me, likely easy to bust or find a fault in, but it looks like this is the place for thoughts on the server merge, so I guess I'll just think away.
      First thing for me, older accounts vs newer accounts. There are people who have played this continuously for years.
      Most of those who have played this continuously for years really put most of their time into their larger accounts. Those who decided to play 8 different worlds usually don't end up with enormous score.
      If I were somebody that scattered my gameplay across many servers, I would rather manage one, good, up & running account as opposed to 8 mildly progressed accounts, 7 of which I could never associate with the other.
      I'm not a fan of clusters of crap, and counter-productivity. It's intolerable, and serves no purpose. All of these useless accounts would do nothing but take up valuable space, or serve as a proxy to somebody who wants to bend the rules.
      That goes without mentioning that accounts built and consistently played on Alpha would devour the smaller, newer accounts. 1 Alpha bully-alliance could ruin the game for players who have scattered their play/playing time across many servers, and make life hard for new-comers (as few as there are.)

That first point being made, I would probably propose that rather than having a cluster of 7, 8, 9, etc. accounts that a player would have to verify/agree to 'have no contact with between them' (Again, proxies can be used), just like the "donation credits" or whatever you want to call them, have a sort of "account-growth credits" that can be accrued for a period of time.
      Prior to the release of the server (like for example, the prompt prior to the empire vs rebels event), be able to select the server that you go to by bubbling in (as if you were choosing between empire or rebels). After submitting (but being allowed to change your choice in the future, before the release of the server, if you and others decide to play elsewhere), be sent to a sort of verification screen, where you may list all of your accounts, and name the servers that those accounts come from (also to be verified by the account's password/email verification). At the release of the servers, allow each player to start with only 1 town (your capital), as if they are starting a brand new server. Since all of a player's accounts would be listed/verified, and merged into one account,
      take all of the resources spent/earned, and all of the research points earned, and convert them into points of some sort. The research points could just be free research points granted to you at the beginning of the server, which is the sum of all research points that you've earned across all of your accounts. For resources spent/earned in all of a player's account across all servers, convert them into a sort of resource points that can not be looted and don't require safe levels, storage limits, etc. Allow these points to be used to upgrade your cities and build them up as the player sees fit. Many players with old accounts learn new things, and may like to change the way things are built up, or where the cities are built, or they may want to pick up piracy, so instead, they use their points on other cities, and leave a few cities available to be used as mobiles.

While it is nice to be granted a free warp, I see that ending up as a confusing cluster right out of the gates, with numerous cities warping around all over the place, likely at the same time, and before ya know it, many of the good islands may be gone in the first day. Instead, I would likely propose to allow this 1 account, with all of the accrued research points and resource points from other accounts that were verified prior to the release of the server, to be allowed to warp it's first city before planting it's second colony. People can establish the areas they would like to be in before building up the accounts, and not have to be hindered by a bad spawn. Easier to manage that way.
      And maybe GF can grant players a healthy amount of ambrosia in place of a couple of those warps that are being taken away (to get players addicted
      ;) )

Pertaining to the use of the resource points, maybe in the first X amount of days, or weeks, GF would be kind enough to have one of their 'events' where buildings created/upgraded with the resource points, would have their building times cut to a quarter of the time.
      As for resource points that may be left over, and can't evenly be used to upgrade buildings anymore, at any point, a player can convert resource points into physical resources (maybe in the same slider mechanic that the premium trader uses).

As I said, all a big theory. It may be the worst idea many of you have ever heard, but it was just something that appealed to me.
      8-)
      Would love, and appreciate any form of feedback on my idea.

• Just....no.

This sentence pretty much sums up your idea.
      It may be the worst idea many of you have ever heard, but it was just something that appealed to me.

(added)
      To summarize:
      Instead of multi-accounting, merge accounts going into 1 server into 1 account. For the non-main accounts convert their resources spent into a similar "donation fund" to be spent on upgrading buildings and add the spent research points into your main accounts unspent research points pool.

If I remember correctly a similar idea was posted early on.

My buildings guide -- My 0 Military Defense Guide
      * @Lissala slaps ImperialUser around a bit with a large trout
    • I do highly like the idea of choosing the server Empire vs Rebel style. The rest I'm iffy on.

Pluses I see

1: People don't have to worry about another person having a legal multi
      2: It reduces the strain on Forge, Poseidon, and Colossus islands
      3: People get to have a larger account than they thought they would have before

Cons I see

1: We're angry enough about a limited to use our donation credits and worrying about not being able to come back to former levels, now we have to worry about not even getting rebuild our accounts fully let alone the mills and mines?
      2: Many people like their accounts as unique entities for example if Phi and Chi were merged I would still want to be in XTN and lead -UI- but this idea makes that impossible.
      3: People get mega accounts (a plus but also a con)
      4: Piling all the resources a player has into one city (if I read things correctly how you'll just have the one city) would mean a definite loss of many resources

I'm writing this review rather quickly but these are just some basic things I thought of. I personally dislike this idea but I am interested to see how you might refine it. One other question I'd like to ask is how you would deal with gold spent on tradeships where the combined accounts have spent more gold than it takes for 180 tradeships or if the two accounts have each bought 90 tradeships if they would get 180 or something less. One other omission I can think of is crystal spent on workshop upgrades.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • ImperialUser wrote:

Just....no.

This sentence pretty much sums up your idea.
      It may be the worst idea many of you have ever heard, but it was just something that appealed to me.

(added)
      To summarize:
      Instead of multi-accounting, merge accounts going into 1 server into 1 account. For the non-main accounts convert their resources spent into a similar "donation fund" to be spent on upgrading buildings and add the spent research points into your main accounts unspent research points pool.

If I remember correctly a similar idea was posted early on.
      I suppose if you want a brief summary, yes. Had I decided to simply post that alone though, I'm sure there would be people who would be asking for me to further explain.
      That summary does not explain my refutation of the current merger idea though.
      Like I said, I'm not a fan of giant clusters of uselessness. Being as piracy actions cannot be tracked by GOs or SGOs (Not talking about scripting, but simply raiding and such), I might as well plant my main account on an island in the corner of the world, and use my other accounts to surround and fill the area so that I can never be raided, use those accounts to feed my main account, set up my military from all accounts over there and just hoard resources. Also, I could just bring a friend or two as well, and have them pillage me, and allow me to pillage them for resources that I want from my other accounts (i.e., my proxy explanation).
      I'm certainly not the only one who would consider it, so instead of overworking your currently undermanned staff with immense server traffic, and constantly seeing if everybody is playing nice, and by the rules, why not this?

I've written critique papers plenty of times in the past, and I assure you, simply writing "Just....no." does not offer any sort of logical explanation as to why you believe that this is a bad idea.
      I respect your opinion, but it would be valued more, and better ideas could be built off of it if you offered an explanation.

@Kaleg Nar

In response to your first con; the credits are not limited. They are a sum of all resources spent building, as well as collected (not including your donation credits, as donation credits already exist in their system). There is no limited time to spend them, only the limited time to build your buildings at about 1/4th of the building time as it takes originally, when using your resource points.

In response to your second con, you're correct in the sense that you would not be able to lead one alliance and be apart of another, unless that were a feature they were to include. (To be affiliated with multiple alliances). The merge would bring all players across many servers, old and new, together. Back in the olden days (as they say), large alliances were pretty normal. This game was a lot bigger than it is now. If they didn't include that feature that I mentioned above, you may consider a merger in it's place.

In response to your third con, that was partly the reason for this idea, to fill some of the gap between old players who have played on old servers consistently for years, players who play on many servers but don't progress greatly on any single account, and players who may only play on a couple of newer servers.
      The gap is pretty large. The top Beta server player's score is higher than the entire 2nd place alliance on Tau, combined. He sits at a total score of over 33,000,000 right now, while RoD alliance has a combined score of 36,000,000, with an average score of 1.5 million.
      It would serve as a way for underdeveloped accounts to contest with the older guys in the game.

In response to your forth con, I actually mentioned in the post (in the blue writing) that it could not be looted, as opposed to your physical resources. Here's the quote.
      "For resources spent/earned in all of a player's account across all servers, convert them into a sort of resource points that can not be looted and don't require safe levels, storage limits, etc."

I hope this answers some of your concerns!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Asmoday ().

• I left it as a simple summation because most people aren't going to read a post that long. This isn't English class after all, no 1000 word requirements on suggestions. :beer:

Anywho... it's not a bad idea, it's just not any better then the current option and would require a lot more work for GF to implement. The key is to try and reduce the amount of work with this one.

• I thought GF's goal was to pump a little more life back into this game? I have no doubt that these merged servers will eventually lead to pumping out new servers at about the same pace that they used to pump them out, and we'll eventually end up back to where we are, given that this game succeeds that long. Only next time, with the system you all are suggesting, you'll then have to deal with a bunch of multi-accounts, and as I mentioned, your grossly-undermanned staff will only have to thin out and work harder than you'll already have to in your current system suggestion.
      The short term work may be a bit easier for GF in terms of developing it, but after implementing it and trying to maintain it, it becomes a lot more difficult to keep up, and a lot more irritating for the users. The current idea is just so disorganized.

No point in offering a critique either if you're not going to at least read the content. It's completely optional to read or post here. Had you been forced to do it, I would completely agree with your comment lol.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Asmoday ().

• I did read the comments, both of them completely. There's very little substance to critique, it's something that's been suggested before and overall dismissed by the community.

Did a little searching, suggested in this post 2 and a half months ago.

Merge Merge and More Merge!

I have been a part of a merge of worlds in another game and if done that way it could be good. If they merge one to x number of worldsthe first merge might occur months or years before the last to make sure everything goes well in each merge. It will be interesting to see what happens regarding island donations, Ambrosia and/or resource freebies and if you have accounts on multiple worlds the opportunity to merge those accounts and make "mega accounts".

As the "lady" in Total Recall said "Get ready for a surprise"!

(added)
      Here is some critique on your writing:
      1) Your first scenario you describe someone that has multiple accounts, then go to negate them as unwanted with negative descriptions. This does nothing but try to justify wanting to merge accounts when a person with multiple accounts would really still want them.

2) There is no reason to bring up bullying as a justification for merging accounts; bullying is shunned by the community already and will be taken care of if they do arise; the only people "bullying" new accounts are other new accounts, and this typically only happens on new servers were things are more competitive.

3) Your suggestion of "verifying accounts" etc is a huge cluster mess in itself. A simpler way of doing it would have all the accounts registered for the same email and when the merger happens all accounts going to the same server to merged into the main account of your choosing.

4) You mention town warping but you never suggest an alternative. The same amount of towns (all players combined) are still going to be warped around your just adding an extra step into the mix.

---next post
      5) Your idea of setting up feeders in a corner of the world won't work. It's been tried and failed by many folks. Someone will see what your doing, warp a town over and consume.

• It may be the worst idea many of you have ever heard
      Yes, it is. Ok, maybe not the worst I've seen here but one of them for sure - reasons already given in the posts above.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • @Asmoday

hmmm, let's analyze this scenario
      Let's say I play on Alpha from the start (06.03.2008) with one account only and I don't have other accounts on other servers. I have a 10 mil account built along years.
      You also have an account of 10 mil TS on alpha, but you have 2-3 accounts on other servers (of 5-6 mil TS each) and you choose to merge them here on Alpha. You will have at least twice my TS after the merge of your accounts.
      You (as an experienced player) have the chance to reorganize your account. I have the disadvantage of others coming on Alpha, moving towns without ambrosia to find a good spot or merging accounts to have a bigger score, while I stay in the same place with same score.

Don't forget that players on other servers are not all new players, but mostly players from Alpha (experienced players) that started other accounts on other worlds.
      When a new server starts, players from old servers that cannot do much on old accounts are thrilled to start a new empire. They call their friends from previous servers and start a new alliance together.

All posts here are about the ones that have to join other servers. How about the ones that have to stay on their original places?
      Let's hear their opinion, too.

• ImperialUser wrote:

I did read the comments, both of them completely. There's very little substance to critique, it's something that's been suggested before and overall dismissed by the community.

Did a little searching, suggested in this post 2 and a half months ago.

Merge Merge and More Merge!

I have been a part of a merge of worlds in another game and if done that way it could be good. If they merge one to x number of worldsthe first merge might occur months or years before the last to make sure everything goes well in each merge. It will be interesting to see what happens regarding island donations, Ambrosia and/or resource freebies and if you have accounts on multiple worlds the opportunity to merge those accounts and make "mega accounts".

As the "lady" in Total Recall said "Get ready for a surprise"!

(added)
      Here is some critique on your writing:
      1) Your first scenario you describe someone that has multiple accounts, then go to negate them as unwanted with negative descriptions. This does nothing but try to justify wanting to merge accounts when a person with multiple accounts would really still want them.

2) There is no reason to bring up bullying as a justification for merging accounts; bullying is shunned by the community already and will be taken care of if they do arise; the only people "bullying" new accounts are other new accounts, and this typically only happens on new servers were things are more competitive.

3) Your suggestion of "verifying accounts" etc is a huge cluster mess in itself. A simpler way of doing it would have all the accounts registered for the same email and when the merger happens all accounts going to the same server to merged into the main account of your choosing.

4) You mention town warping but you never suggest an alternative. The same amount of towns (all players combined) are still going to be warped around your just adding an extra step into the mix.

---next post
      5) Your idea of setting up feeders in a corner of the world won't work. It's been tried and failed by many folks. Someone will see what your doing, warp a town over and consume.
      Thank you, detailed feedback and concerns are what I look for.

1) Your argument here is that I'm putting a player using multiple accounts in a server, in a negative light. Some players do want multiple accounts. Some break the rules to have multiple accounts, you know that, being a GO and all.. lol. In that same hand, some people do not want to manage several accounts on the same server that are not allowed to have any form of contact anyway. That point is mostly an opinion of preference.

2) When you say bullying typically only happens on a new server as they're more competitive, I think it would be fair to say that you could call this a new server lol. Fact is, the older accounts, down to Delta or Iota would dominate the newer accounts if they felt like it, and it wouldn't come off as much of a surprise if they actually did feel like it.

3) This way may be a better way of doing it, just to automatically combine all accounts associated with an email address.

4) Here's where I'm starting to think you may have ended up lost somewhere along the way lol.
      I don't suggest everybody choose one certain account that they've built, and feed all of the resource points and research points into that account. I'm suggesting that days prior to the server release, a player chooses the name they wish to use on the server, and the email address that they wish to associate with that server. Then at the server release, it will be as if you're starting an entirely new server. Starting with a level 1 city, tutorial, etc., only you will have the resource points and the research points listed (research points obviously being listed under the research tab as they have been since research points were a thing)
      You don't always get a good spawn, so allow the starting city to be warped X amount of times up until they do something like colonize another city, or whatever it may be.
      As opposed to having a player with 4 accounts, and 30 cities across all 4 accounts.
      That player will be warping around 30 cities, and good wonders would certainly go away a lot faster.

5) This wasn't exactly one of my main points, but I guess.. What if nobody notices? Lol

@Antikythera
      You're right in the regard that some players would get the chance to open the gap up in their favor, but that number of players is low. The gap between newer accounts and older accounts, in general, would be smaller. Again, don't honestly want to do the math as to how much smaller it would be. Some players would be stuck with very small accounts as they may be new, or returning from a long time away from the game. The issue of small players being thrown in with sharks will always be an issue, but there's no harm in at least mitigating it, the way I look at it.
      I also agree, some players have played on Alpha for a long time, since it's release. I have one in my alliance on Psi, but the players with 20-33 million total score on those servers tend to continue putting a lot of their work into that server. Usually, players who rank in the top 5-10 tend to play on fewer servers than those who have fallen in the rankings and wish to start over competitively on a new server.

I was under the assumption that all players had to participate in the merger. This merger seems to be more or less the deletion of many of our current servers, and all accounts that are on the servers that are to be deleted get thrown into the pot on an early server of their choosing, while players who already set on those servers will have the option to move to another of the 'merged servers'.
      I don't feel like GF is going to do a complete overhaul.

• Asmoday I wasn't listing those as debatable I was giving you critique, and on most of those you misunderstood what I was saying.

1) You mention someone else with multiple accounts, then you mention how you personally wouldn't want those accounts. It's a disconnect, you wouldn't have those accounts in the first place and the person who does have them still wants them. It's a mute point that doesn't do anything other then state your own opinion/play style.

2) Your the one that mentioned bullying. Baseless fear mongering on something that "could" happen and has nothing to do with your suggestion.

4) This is all together just no good and doesn't even need to be discussed.
      - You've already reduced the 4 accounts and 30 towns into 1 account and 8 towns, mentioning them as a reason for this secondary idea is pointless.
      - Why reduce the players main account into a new account? It serves no purpose other then you (Asmoday) want to restart. People have spent years building their accounts nobody would want to restart the building process.
      - You now only have 1 town, why would you need multiple town warps?

As you said and I quoted before...

• if it was me I would just let GF do what they are going to do and I'm just planing making gold upgrading walls town halls and what not don't worry about if you can upgrade your mills in 18 days just alive that when you get to it :)
    • One new world

Just a thought why not make one new world and allow people to chose weather they want to merge there or not and if you have multi accounts you can only move one of them there witch everyone you think is better. So people can eather merge or stay in the sever they are on its there choice. it would help with the muilti accounts only thing is would leave the servers even more dead then they are but could be the best of both worlds

As for merging muilti accounts iam not in favor because i only have one account and some one with 6 would triple there score in a day not cool
    • Asmoday, if your wanting to change something that's already in the works you need to come up with a better solution then what's already being worked on. It's along the lines of not suggesting something that's already been changed like "bring back gold pillaging".

Asking for critique is asking to be disappointed, your asking other people to tell you whats wrong about your idea.

• I'm asking, what is factually wrong with my idea, not "What do YOU not like about my idea?"
      Why would THIS idea not be able to work? How is allowing players to use multies, and have 30+ cities on one server really a good idea?
      Now, I would actually like your opinion as to why the current idea is a good idea? This isn't the whole run of the mill "bring back gold pillaging!" request, but it will be MONTHS before this server is released. Why not try to pick up new ideas and get things right the first time around, rather than waiting for it to prove that it's broken, then trying to fix it?

• That's not what you asked to begin with. There isn't a reason "logistically" why merging accounts wouldn't work. But you haven't given a reason why it would work any better then multiple accounts either. You've given a lot of hypothetical issues it would hypothetically resolve, but you haven't said anything about why it would be better just a lot of what-ifs.

Here's some reasons why merging accounts "hypothetically" won't work.
      1) Someone breaks merging in a way to steal other peoples accounts, merging them into their own account.
      2) It gives people an unfair growth advantage. Now people maintain accounts on all the worlds for the next server merger to create mega accounts.
      3) Statistically for GF they have less players (accounts).

• what does that point

ImperialUser wrote:

That's not what you asked to begin with. There isn't a reason "logistically" why merging accounts wouldn't work. But you haven't given a reason why it would work any better then multiple accounts either. You've given a lot of hypothetical issues it would hypothetically resolve, but you haven't said anything about why it would be better just a lot of what-ifs.

Here's some reasons why merging accounts "hypothetically" won't work.
      1) Someone breaks merging in a way to steal other peoples accounts, merging them into their own account.
      2) It gives people an unfair growth advantage. Now people maintain accounts on all the worlds for the next server merger to create mega accounts.
      3) Statistically for GF they have less players (accounts).

have to do with anything

people are going to spend ambrosia no matter what

so what would it matter if it was spread out across 3 accounts

or concentrated into one account
    • And you literally came in here and just said that it won't work.

1) GF has MONTHS to work on this. Not sure how somebody "breaks" merging in a way to steal other accounts when my suggestion also requires email verification, passwords, etc., as I mentioned.
      2) Multies don't give unfair growth advantages? I'll get all of my accounts into the top 50 every piracy round, and 1 in the top 10. I'll proxy out my resources and loot them through a friend, and suddenly, I'll have my own unfair growth advantage, so obviously the current idea isn't foolproof itself.
      3) I didn't realize that empty accounts made GF any money. I wouldn't buy ambrosia on an account that I wouldn't use, I'm not entirely sure why anybody else would, so why would that matter?