Piracy strategy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Piracy strategy

The current status of Piracy advocates repeating the same cycles over and over again with the same inter-alliance agreements in place, and super pirates and their feeders the same. I've been a super pirate for more than a few rounds and it is hard work that require a lot of time and dedication.

As a super pirate, one has to log in at or around 18:00 game time everyday to cherry pick the juicy targets before super pirates of other alliances do. Of course with the help of alliance members providing up to the minute ranking lists (with coordinates) the super pirate can conduct such Piracy raids.

That said, my suggestion is not to make things easy for the super pirate or their victims to be. It's to make things more interesting and intense. I'm suggesting that the Piracy rankings (inside the pirate fortress) be updated every 30 minutes EVERY DAY and not just on the last day of Piracy round as currently is. What this will achieve are:

1. Create more opportunity for non-super pirates to raid other fortresses within their vicinity if they happen to spot a one and they believe they have a stronger crew

2. Create more hunting opportunity for super pirates and lessening their dependence on alliance mates/friends supplying them with fresh target lists when they log in. A super pirate typically spends 5-8 hours playing everyday. During that time he/she may very well run out of targets, but with a 30-min interval rankings updates that super pirate can adjust how many capture points they want to keep while converting the rest to crew landing them in a "capture point" zone range where he/she feels it is worth their while to travel to and raid such targets.

3. With this mechanism in place I suspect the top pirates will only accumulate around 100K points at the final day of piracy (with probably much bigger crews than currently is) because of the continuous raid/convert pattern. Since most good feeding players produce 30-60K CPs a day, everyday a super pirate will try to keep him/herself within that CP range to see those targets within 30 minutes -at the most- from the time when they log in.

4. Just because the competition will be fierce at the top rankings list, thereby lowering the entry limit into the coveted top 50 spots, this will allow a much bigger opportunity for feeders or those pirates not able or not willing to dedicate 8 hours to piracy play a day, a chance to sneak into top 50. Others may time the end of a 16h/7414 capture runs to happen within minutes of the end of the round allowing them to get into top 50 last minute or improve their rank if they were already there.

In short, should this suggestion see the light, it will make everyday piracy play like piracy play on the last day of the round which for anyone who'd been there and done that knows how interesting and intense it can be.

Moreover and more importantly it will free up players to log in to the game anytime and enjoy raiding and playing piracy since the current scheme limits the raiding of good targets to pirates who can actually log in at around 18:00 game time everyday. Given the global nature of the players pool and their time zone difference, 18:00 game time could be 3:00 am for some and 3:00 pm for others, thus creating favorable/unfavorable playing conditions that are completely outside of players control.

Hope to hear what you think of this.
      Octavius

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room
      Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly, you probably wouldn't have even got it
      I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than 10 to 20 million killed, tops!
    • You are going to get unbiased answers if this is opened up to debate.

People opposed are going to be comfortable with their current style, and change could cripple them.
      People for it, are in the same position as you.
      Then you get the 'who cares, pirates are stupid' crowd.

I fall in the first category but see the potential in it. I do, however, also think there are tons more wrong with the pirate game that will never get established...so starting here would just be poor judgment on behalf of GF.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ryan ().

• ryan wrote:

You are going to get unbiased answers if this is opened up to debate.

People opposed are going to be comfortable with their current style, and change could cripple them.
      People for it, are in the same position as you.
      Then you get the 'who cares, pirates are stupid' crowd.

I fall in the first category but see the potential in it. I do, however, also think there are tons more wrong with the pirate game that will never get established...so starting here would just be poor judgment on behalf of GF.
      I would say I'd get "biased" answers based on what shoes you are wearing! If 18:00 game time is the dead of night or the typical time you're at work or school, you'll be all for this suggestion. If, on the other hand, 18:00 game time happens to occur when you have come back from work/school, had a nice dinner, and ready to have some fun, lucky you, you want to keep the status quo.

This is the AMERICAN server. 18:00 game time = 2 pm EDT (New York), 12 pm CDT (Chicago), 10 am MST (Phoenix), and 11 am PDT (Los Angeles). Who in the world of USA plays ikariam for 5-8 hrs during these work/school DAY hours? Not very many, or so I firmly believe. Talk about favoritism for European and East Asian players who are spending their afternoons/evenings playing pirates at leisure.

If this suggestion was without any other merit, suffice it will level the playing the field for everyone, and not penalize some just because of what part of the world they happen to live in, especially if they live in America ironically playing the American server!

Needless to say, a pirate logging in at 02:00 game time next day (8 hours past 18:00) has next to nil chance of hitting any target with more than 10K CPs. All those preys with 11K CPs and up have been pretty much gone and/or hit by now. This is true even in the highly unlikely best case scenario where his/her alliance mates/friends sent him/her updated lists of that day at 18:00 game time, 8 hours prior to when he logged in.

If I would compromise, I'd say players logging in should get a "fresh" up to date rankings list that are specifically generated during the time they logged in (or say at the head of the hour after they logged in, or half hour, as is currently the time interval to update the high score list), and that list remains the same for the next 24 hours, even if the player logs out and logs in multiple times during that 24 hours. Pretty much like the "Your town has been credited with xxx through the daily bonus on level x." where the bonus is personalized per that player's 24 hours log in cycle (or lack thereof).

And contrary to your notion, I don't see anything broken with piracy other than its inexcusable time constraints!! For the amount of effort and the fact that you have to keep at least 3-4 floaters/MWCs (you know these can be locked down for hours and you always want to have extra) sacrificing establishing these MWCs as fully functional towns (for instance, I can build 12 towns, but I only have 8 and the other 4 are floaters/mwcs so that I can launch 4 simultaneous raids), make the huge piracy prizes very well justified.

What's not justified is a ranking list updated at 18:00 game time ONLY

And to add insult to injury, piracy rounds end on a Sunday Afternoon/Midday/Morning for USA inhabitants. For the most common age group of US ikariam players (18 to mid 30s), who doesn't go out on a Saturday night?

And since we're at it, why not randomize the end of the piracy round so you'd have long ones and short ones that doesn't have to always end on a Sunday? What if a piracy round ends on Tuesday, or a Monday at 11 pm or midnight or 2 am CDT? That would create a whole world of possibilities and give those who are disadvantaged because they live in the USA playing the American server some hope that playing times can favor their time zone at least once in a while. And give those "party people" who like to go out on Saturday nights a hope that one round, they can pull an all-night-er Sunday to hit the jack pot of a piracy round that ends on a Monday morning.

So, in conclusion,
      I totally agree with your notion of biased answers.
      I totally "disagree" that Piracy needs a lot to be fixed, other than its inexplicable set-in-stone time schedule that, in case of USA, doesn't favor the primary target group of the American server players.
      If I'd compromise on my original suggestion of updating the rankings list daily every 30 minutes (like the high score lists), I'd like to see a list that's up to date every 24 hours customized for the players log in times (like the daily bonus)
      I'd like to add a new suggestion that ending the piracy rounds for all servers on a Sunday afternoon/noon/morning for USA players makes no sense for anyone who'd want to go out on Saturday night, and that the end of piracy rounds should vary from one round to the next and should also vary from one server to the other.

Looking forward to hearing your in favor and opposing thoughts a like. Thanks!!
      Octavius

Of course it's a friendly call. Listen, if it wasn't friendly, you probably wouldn't have even got it
      I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than 10 to 20 million killed, tops!
    • If your problem is that, in your opinion, Americans are being disenfranchised on their own server, why not shift the suggestion from being half-hour updates to simply having the update time as a whole shift to a more suitable time for Americans? The small person merely running capture runs would be at a greater deficit from this suggestion (no hiding anymore.)

By the way, you're wrong about which time it is in each American area at 18:00. GF accounts for daylight savings time so that might be what threw you off.
      EST (New York): 12:00 pm
      CST (Chicago): 11:00 am
      MST (Denver): 10:00 am
      PST (Los Angeles): 9:00 am
      AKST (Anchorage): 8:00 am
      HST (Honolulu): 7:00 am

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • Kaleg Nar wrote:

If your problem is that, in your opinion, Americans are being disenfranchised on their own server, why not shift the suggestion from being half-hour updates to simply having the update time as a whole shift to a more suitable time for Americans? The small person merely running capture runs would be at a greater deficit from this suggestion (no hiding anymore.)

By the way, you're wrong about which time it is in each American area at 18:00. GF accounts for daylight savings time so that might be what threw you off.
      EST (New York): 12:00 pm
      CST (Chicago): 11:00 am
      MST (Denver): 10:00 am
      PST (Los Angeles): 9:00 am
      AKST (Anchorage): 8:00 am
      HST (Honolulu): 7:00 am
      Because you will NOT find that one size fits all "time" to shift to! So, it'd either be personalized (like daily bonus) per player every 24 hour or log in cycle (which ever is greater), or be updated for all to see every 30 minutes, like the last day of the round and updates to other high score lists.

And thanks for fixing the time zones, I live in Arizona where we don't observe Daylight Saving Time at all, so I stand corrected. I thought the rest of the country was already on it, hence the "D" in all those time zones.

And if you think this will hurt the small player who merely does capture runs, I'd ask you why? No one merely does capture runs and hopes to win in piracy (we call them "click-n-haul"-ers) under the current system (and I'll show why in a minute). Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

I mean anyone who is serious about winning in piracy, as it is, has only 2 "viable" routes to do this.

1) be a raiding pirate who takes CPs from own feeders by consent, and stealing CPs form feeders of other raiding pirates (and hopeful click-n-haulers).

2) be a feeder for a raiding pirate making CPs for the sole purpose (and hope) of "raising" the strongest raiding pirate in the server to provide protection for him/her from other pirate raids, and for that pirate to eliminate those ahead of them (rank-wise) in the last day of piracy to clear the way for him/her to rank up and get into top 50.

Solo players, IMHO, are simply pushing their luck. I don't think it's a sound way of playing piracy, since this game is designed to be a collaborative effort from the get go. Click-n-haulers are like those independent candidates who run for President every 4 years only to fall out of the race after the first few weeks. If you don't have a "party/alliance" behind you, or you are not part of a concerted "party/alliance" effort supporting one or two "candidates", you practically have no chance. Then again, some might get lucky here and there, but exceptions are here only to prove the rule!

I did try to play solo at first on a small account that I created on Alpha for that purpose, and I found out the hard way how it stings every time I build up some crew and a little bit of CP reserve and see those CPs get snatched while offline or in the last few hours of piracy (Sunday morning hang over) as I dose in front of the computer just before the round ends! That said, I did win "one time" playing solo, ranking 38, but that was it, out of about 10 rounds that I tried to win playing this way.

If anything, I think my suggestion will help some "click-n-haulers" to save their energy and build no crew at all (or may be some 10K crew or so during the round) and just focus their effort to play last day and try to "dodge" and hide their CPs across towns, as they pull an all-out 24hr playing session. Since it is my educated guess that this suggestion would have the effect of lowering the entry limit to the top 50, those players might in fact have a better chance to land spots between 30-50 last minute of the round by properly timing the end of their capture runs.

Then again, this suggestion lessens "the dependence" of a raiding pirate on alliance mates and friends providing (outdated?) target lists and capture points. This, IMO, will create a "viable chance" for everyone (read: players who would like to go solo) to become a raiding pirate, if they wish to be so, AND they have the proper setup as far as town locations, choice of miracles, available floaters, and warehouse levels, that would make it worth their while.

Think of it as giving the small fish (solo player) a "better" chance to eat other smaller (but not tiny) fish to grow up and finally compete with the bigger fish who have a "party" supporting their backs.

Thanks for your input (and corrections), and I'd really like to have more feed back on playing solo and how this suggestion might benefit or hurt those players. Thanks again!
      Octavius

• One thing I will like to note:

Pirates was introduced with the intention of giving even the smallest players a chance to win.

Not the case (was it ever outside of the first valuations when everyone was new to it?)

I came from Gamma...I THINK I may have saw a tiny amount of people ever crack the top 50 that A) Wasn't in an alliance. and/or B) Had a TS of under 1mil (heck, even 2mil).

I just checked the latest Alpha high scores. Granted, it COULD be an anomaly, but I highly doubt it. A) No non-alliance players in the top 50. and B) top 50 lowest TS is 426k then 845k, then 1.6 mil.

So broken in terms of there isn't parity as they had originally hoped.
    • ryan wrote:

One thing I will like to note:

Pirates was introduced with the intention of giving even the smallest players a chance to win.

Not the case (was it ever outside of the first valuations when everyone was new to it?)

I came from Gamma...I THINK I may have saw a tiny amount of people ever crack the top 50 that A) Wasn't in an alliance. and/or B) Had a TS of under 1mil (heck, even 2mil).

I just checked the latest Alpha high scores. Granted, it COULD be an anomaly, but I highly doubt it. A) No non-alliance players in the top 50. and B) top 50 lowest TS is 426k then 845k, then 1.6 mil.

So broken in terms of there isn't parity as they had originally hoped.
      Exactly! That's why I think my suggestion will benefit anyone who is serious about the pirates game, whether big or small. As I said in the OP: it will make things more fun, interesting and intense. (= more $$Ambrosia spending. GF are you listening?)

For instance, right now, do you need to consult with your friends/alliance mates to pillage someone? No. You just go for it. There's no dependence. Do you have to wait until it's xx:yy game time before you can spy your target and find out if they've something to loot? No. Your espionage reports are instant.

Then, why do you HAVE TO depend on your friends/alliance mates to provide you with lists of potential targets (If you don't have these, you're pretty much screwed as raiding pirate, anyone knows that)? And then, why do you HAVE TO wait until 18:00 game time to find out if your target is a worthy hit?

Why pirates game has to be crippled with a mundane time routine that's NOT suitable for everyone? Why does it have to be the same routine on all servers at the same time? If you happen to play more than one server, that negatively affects your attention.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to see more input and interaction with this suggestion, but It seems that not a lot of people are interested in Piracy anyway!!

Even though Piracy has changed ikariam fundamentally, and it's only here to stay. So let's try to fix it as far as we could and let's not belittle any move in the right direction. Anyone serious about getting ahead on top charts does not have the luxury of overlooking Piracy.

I honestly believe that these small and doable modifications to piracy will result in a more challenging and interesting game for everyone, while not favoring a particular type of players over the rest.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
      Octavius

• While I sort of like the idea, this idea only makes the strong, stronger and the weak, much MUCH weaker. It does nothing to help the regular players and only helps those that were going to already get into the top 50 pick off the weaklings.

The people not good enough/fast enough to convert will just be sitting ducks for the elite.

I think one way to fix pirates could be to handicap floaters (they already have all the power). Perhaps, you can't start raiding until your pirate fortress reaches level 3?

I don't know why I waste my time with these suggestions. Nothing ever really develops from them.
    • Well I just tried the pirate game and I must agree Octavlus as its a headache to never find anyone near me and to never have a chance to actually disrupt and intercept their supply lines and actually have a chance to have more than just 13k crew strength. If this is the future of your game I really wish you would make it to fit everyone's schedule and not just the old man who is retired and can do what he wants when he wants.

Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much khaos and disruption as possible but don't let them take you ALIVE.