Building a Strong Account - Infrastructure, Play Style, and Politics, a Guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Building a Strong Account - Infrastructure, Play Style, and Politics, a Guide

I've been getting a lot of messages asking for advice on building a strong account in terms of the buildings, so lets just get it out in the open for all, these are my thoughts, there's a handful of people I'd love to see input from including Krazilec and TheHulk (yes, you Hulky) as I know they build insanely effectively in their chosen approaches to the game.

I have a number of core buildings I believe are essential for all accounts from early through to late development*:

GR
      TH
      Carpeneters 32
      Architects 32
      Wine Press 32
      Museum
      Tavern
      4 Warehouses
      1 Dump
      and 1 colony minimum with an embassy.

However, how you build is based on the socio-political environment. This almost always governs what corners you can cut and what you can't when building your colonies. I have a dump and 4 warehouses in each colony, 4 warehouses because of the safe limits, essential for piracy, essential for keeping resources available when under constant attack. I recently added the dump with the update that gave us the extra building spot for the seachart archive, I was temporarily demolishing wine presses for dumps to do Museums to max level 21 (21 is attainable via 4 warehouses to level 150-160 and a dump to 24-28 and double storage with 24 ambrosia, level 20 museums are attainable without ambrosia but need 4 warehouses and a dump to get, there is no way anyone can get level 22 museums - I am finally done all 12 museum 21's and just before the merge too so hooray for timely transition back to power donation mode woo! {Yes, I don't even have 20 million TS yet but I do have the maximum number of 252 museums account wide - efficiency people!), but that extra build spot made life easy and dumps were had without temporary loss of wine presses. Yes, some buildings are temporary and at different points in an accounts life you will demolish a building for another and it may be for a few weeks, it might be for a few years, but it'll disappear in place of something else in the longer term. Many people seem to thinking building an account is rigid, but it isn't, you need adaptability and smart decision making in what is temporary and what isn't and tpo remember the cost of things as a whole, efficiency in resource management is a priority at all levels of the game.

Socio-political environment governs what can and can't be built, but 4 warehouses in the piracy era of Ikariam is a basic requirement if you ever want to try and evaluate, but also in general amazing for how many resources you can store without being a target (i.e. you can laugh heartily as people don't take those resources they see and think of as tasty!).

An Embassy in one town is also essential even if not part of an alliance, as a garrison right or trade treaty can be invaluable.

Okay lets look at two extreme builds for colonies:

Miner centric:

TH
      GR
      Carpenters 32
      Architects 32
      Wine Press 32
      Museum
      Tavern
      Foresters Booster 32
      Luxury Booster 32
      4 Warehouses
      1 Dump
      1 spare location - 1 town has an embassy, 1 or 2 towns have hideouts, 1 town has an academy and replaces its' wine press with an optician, the rest have a mix of barracks and temples, barracks being as near to max level as possible as reduced production of troops needs to be matched by speed, shipyards in all towns to ensure maximum strengthed military at speed.

Hideout's aren't essential in all towns - some players have one or two and laugh at people who attack them because they just fight straight back and bring friends to the party or they ignore them knowing their resources are in effect not pillageable and are focused on donating everything away so attacking them is a huge waste of resources (including time, which people seem to forget is a valuable resource in Ikariam) with no actual gains, just losses (gold loss, time loss, cargo ship losses to move military, military effectiveness losses because the military is engaged in pointless exercises gaining nothing of worth where they could be elsewhere). Hideouts are useful but for myself and others, not essential on all colonies. Many will disagree with this and sometimes I find an extra hideout for the extra spies would be useful, but no room for more so I'm all good. It is not a weakness for the above mentioned reasons, and also politics 9which are my own and not to be revealed here).

Academies aren't essential in all towns especially once 1 or 2 futures are attained. I have 1 academy with a level 32 optician, I had to replace my wine press with the optician for the room, but the experiment town pays the losses in wine off nicely even if experiments are done only here and there so it is worth it in this single case, it's not a replacement I'd do across the board (though see point on end build set up at the conclusion of this article). If you want heavy research then academies are needed, but if you want to focus research via experimentation, then a single experiment colony works wonders especially if your colonies are very centralised.

Temples, well they are needed, sure, but it depends what you are doing and how many you have miracle-wise. I'm one of those people who has 11 hepha colonies, not because that's ideal but because the goals of the account is donation centric and to get the first max level quarry on the planet. I don't have 11 hepha temples obviously, this frees up some space. Most people like having a mix of 4-5 poseidon, 4-6 hephas, and a collossus, I like the idea of having a demeters garden or two, a collossus or two, 4 hephas and 5 poseidons, the demeters is an aberration to many peoples minds, but it has uses here and there especially for hugely developed accounts in the very very long term (think approaching 40 million TS and max town hall levels).

Barracks aren't needed in every colony, shipyards are. Navy can often times prevent access to any of your towns, and navy is what dominates military play these days, it used to be the sorry cousin of ground engagements but the combat system changed and naval warfare got tenders, and long range artillery and balloon carriers and speed boats and yeah. Additionally, you should look at what your alliance, or if unaligned what your allies (not alliance, you can have allies that aren't part of an alliance with you after all) can bring military wise, this is important in considering barracks disposition.

Fighting Account:
      TH
      GR
      Carpenters 32
      Architects 32
      Wine Press 32
      4 Warehouses
      1 dump
      Barracks
      temple
      hideout
      seachart archive

1 spare colony spot for other buildings. 1 colony gets an embassy, you might even have 2 or 3 colonies with embassies for multiple treaties. I'd be doing a sulfur booster on sulfur islands, and a mix of academies and wood boosters otherwise. Tending away from a temple and an academy in each town as the excessive workers is a huge drain to ones' economy and thus limits the maintenance of a huge military presence. I would leave the 4 warehouses and a dump basic set up as good fighters will have loads of pillage and that means loads of construction. Some fighters prefer no wine presses, but when you get higher up saving 400 or 500 wine an hour per colony adds up significantly and rapidly so screw that noise I say!

Just be aware that whilst seachart archives speed you up, they speed all enemies occupying/blockading your towns with them in it up also.

There is room for a hybrid style of play and most players seem to adopt something like that, but to my mind you go either massed miner build or massed fighter build. Both are advantageous, and both have the potential to rapidly develop (for Ikariam - so we're talking 3-4 years or more of development, though piracy broke that balance so if you evaluate highly consistently, then far less) because the game is balanced with these two approaches (not so much with piracy), but at the same time, both have the key infrastructure to allow for maximum level buildings long term and expensive GR's very fast. This is very much a key concept of developing well and rapidly.

Hopefully this gives players a stronger idea of how to construct a very solid account and how to set up their colonies up. Remember to be adaptable, each account is different but key concepts are strong, so keep that in mind.

Spideytaak.

*An interesting note - final town builds are different to the above as you don't need an architects once everything is maxed level as it brings nothing to the account anymore (no need for marble reduction on anything else and it doesn't reduce barracks/shipyard unit costs either so it's now dead weight) indeed you could then also replace the dump once you max out the building replacement for the architects, as in effect you've maxed the colony out and don't need so much excessive free space as all you do with resources at that point is donate them or build units to fight, or use ambrosia to convert to donate/experiment, so in essence a final colony build would have a core of these buildings:

GR (11)
      TH (max level)
      Carpenters 32
      Wine Press 32
      Museum 21
      Tavern (max level)
      4 Warehouse 40's

And actually look like the best of both a Miner-centric build and a Fighter build with many colonies looking like this:

GR 11
      TH max level
      Carpenters 32
      Wine Press 32
      Museum 21
      Tavern max level
      4 Warehouse 40's
      Temple
      Barracks
      Hideout
      Foresters Booster
      Luxury Booster

Even then, I would put forth that this is not a set in stone build and it depends on what you are after and how you play the endgame set up, both boosters may not be your thing for example, academies may be more useful or otherwise. It's Interesting because final builds cut all the corners and yet variation will still exist.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • Great info about builds, my question is what about luxury goods. with lets say 10 towns and a military build what would you recommend.

for a miner build I can see 1 crystal 1 sulfur 5 marble 3 wine but for military would that be flipped into 5 wine 3 marble or 4 of both?

also on the fighter build you don't have taverns. which would be the one extra slot, or not all towns can have barracks.

Spidey Taak wrote:

Learn 2 play.

A lot one man can say, but sometimes the least is most helpful

The post was edited 1 time, last by aurther13th ().

• It's complex, it depends on what resources and what volume of resources consistently over time you can get through trading - either the trading post or via trade treaties or via direct trades with players (don't push now!) - or pillaging. Ideally I'd be going for 3-4 wine and 5-7 marble colonies myself if you can secure the sulfur/crystal reserves for GR's etc. Keeping reserves to your safety limits of resources is very useful. But it's very much situational. I'd recommend spending $20 on ambrosia if that's an option,w ait for an ambrosia sale of +30% and buy then, and you nab like 210 ambrosia or so, that's 42 trades, using a trading town you can very fast get the resources you need when you want for very cheap, just use the ambrosia purchased ONLY for resource trades and use it smart and you're set for at least a year with that.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

• Just wanted to make 2 comments on your Fighting account build Spidey. First off, I find the SeaChart Archive to be completely worthless. Not only does it not work outside of your towns(whereas Poseidon does) but it also helps the ENEMY should they have control of your Harbor(and I don't want to give them any benefit whatsoever if that's the case). The most glaring issue with your build though is this: Where is the TAVERN? I can see foregoing the Museum since you're looking to fight/pillage but a build without a Tavern? Totally shocking oversight if I say so myself. Otherwise, why have the Wine Press? :lol:
    • That's what I get for posting after like 36 hours straight no sleep (Insomnia can suck, make sit fun for fighting but sucks at times haha!). there should be a Tavern and Museum in all builds. My account is the first explored above, I can take risks because I have an interesting network of allies and my diplomacy is, well it's wide ranging. Hence socio-political environment. In any case, museum, tavern, carpenters, architects, wine press, GR in all towns is the core build, 4 warehouses as well is my strong strong suggestion.

I've seen people build fighting accounts with sea chart archives in all towns because it benefits allies too and people focusing on you to get occupation/blockade are then tempting your friends to just kill those fools hard. Really it's an attitude thing - if you don't build them you are confident of enemies gaining control of the ports/cities and abusing them whereas if you build them at least one to an island of yours or on all colonies, you are basically using the attitude of I am awesome, just try and take these beautiful cities without inviting imminent and lasting destruction. :)

omixgodlydemon wrote:

• Excuses, excuses :P

For me, I've always found Hideouts to be a standard/mandatory building because even if you may not care what other people find out about you specifically(like what you have resource-wise or where your troops are), your friends, allies and anyone who communicates with you certainly have an issue with you not having Hideouts. Furthermore, if you don't have Hideouts, players are more prone to pick on you and I am of the mindset to avoid all confrontations unless I absolutely have to. I'm also a big proponent of reducers since they make upgrading everything, including Dumps and GR's, way easier. Hence I typically do the following build:

4 Warehouses
      Academy/Dump
      Tavern
      Museum
      Palace/GR
      Hideout
      Carpenter
      Architect
      FTA
      Optician
      Flex <- Trade Post, Embassy, Temple

This build is not for those looking to engage in land combat(hence its not a fighter build), but it still allows you to participate on the high seas since nearly every town will have a Shipyard. The only exception is the town(s) with Trade Posts, as they get dual Trade Ports. Wine may be an issue but the way you handle it is by heavily using Museums and limiting the size of your Town Halls. Nearly every town will have a Temple so the use of Wonders is highly advised(whether you use Theocracy is up to you). Since every town has an Optician, you can do an Experiment in each town, generating gobs of RP's at once. For those who do Wine-Only, this build is actually quite feasible since it cuts down what you need of the other 3 luxuries.