Island abuse

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Island abuse

Hi guys!

Great with this merger :) It should stimulate a lot of good action.

However - people are putting up small towns on islands where they already have several of their main towns "stealing" several spots for cities. They do this for a long time in cold blood making it hard for sincere players to find good islands. Especially good wonders.

The spread, of wonders aren't too cleverly set up by Gameforge.

Regards!
      ///Soulmachine!
    • they might be saving them for friends or something..
      Alliances sometimes do it to keep outsiders from planting on the island until another alliance mate can claim the spot.

another possibility is peace time MWC deployment to decrease wonder cooldown.
      If you're not using a MWC it's not uncommon to have them deployed at your forge/dolphin island to help decrease the cool down..

neither is really abuse, more like perk of having a MWC.
      The down side of MWC's is they don't offer resource or gold production that a well established town provides, or defenses & action points.

I agree about the wonder distribution.. really the only wonders worth anything are forge, dolphin, colossus.. (in that order)
      The rest generally sit idle, although a case could be made for ares in special circumstances.

There's really only 2 solutions for this.

1. revamp the wonders and make the other ones useful.. im especially looking at you hades.. you blow!.
      Which could lead to an upset much as the last wonder revamp hurt already established players..

I remember I had planted on the one that gave cargo ship discounts only to have them change it to I think warehouse security?
      GF made a fundamental to the foundation of the islands that undermind the reasoning for players choosing a particular island in teh first place.. only options was destroy/rebuild or pay money to warp.

so revamp will open a old wound.

2. eliminate crappy wonders and change them to more popular ones.
      This has lesser impact.. some island chains that was unsuitable prior will now be useable.. even more attractive in current clusters perhaps.. and in the case of forge this alienates those of us who made a huge sacrifice by having a bunch of sulfur towns for forge, since on legacy servers that's the only island type to host forge.

but this would probably be the least invasive of the two options..

but I don't think GF would choose this option because it would be seen as diminishing the game.. island wonder diversity goes down.. even if this would infact be an improvement over the current 'dead weight' wonders currently.

The best we can hope for.. on the legacy servers anyway, would a wonder / resource type mixup like is found on the newer servers.
      but the only fair way to go about that would be to give everyone move vouchers like they did with merger.. I don't see this happening but then again I didn't expect a merger to ever happen either.. I figured if anything they'ed just flat shutdown servers, so who knows.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.
    • I've said previously that a quick and easy solution to the hades wonder on legacy servers is to replace it with the forge. hades is only on marble islands, while colossus and poseidon (and ares) are already on varied island types. And the forge is currently only on sulphur islands.

This takes care of several issues rather simply.
    • Soulmachine wrote:

Hi guys!

Great with this merger :) It should stimulate a lot of good action.

However - people are putting up small towns on islands where they already have several of their main towns "stealing" several spots for cities. They do this for a long time in cold blood making it hard for sincere players to find good islands. Especially good wonders.

The spread, of wonders aren't too cleverly set up by Gameforge.

Regards!
      ///Soulmachine!

PRO TIP:

ALL THE GOOD ISLANDS WERE FILLED MONTHS AGO BY PLACE HOLDER ACCOUNTS.

yes, this is true. Anyone with half a brain set up a bunch of accounts across a variety of servers likely to be a target server and dropped down temps and sealed key islands to prevent anyone taking them not of their own or their friends.

Heck, I have a xi account on a 45 sawmill island and a friend also has colonies there and between us we're packing over 16 colonies sealing off these wodnerful islands because hey, look, we actually prepared for the merge.

You wouldn't be complaining if you'd sat down evevn once the target servers were announced and spent even 5 minutes at some point in the 2ish months leading up to the merge day to start an account and then scout island locations, make notes and prioritise where you were placing colonies. None of this was or is illegal, and people filling spots with their mobiles, guess what, it's still legal and whose to say they are all mobiles/temp holders, some will sit and develop over time.

Crying about it all because you didn';t do any ground work ain't going to get sympathy from anyone.

Did you bother spending the several months donating so as wherever you ended up you could relocate even to halfway decent islands and suddenly have a leg up of more development then you contributed to previously? If so, you wouldn't be here whinging so honestly, i can say, this is entirely your own fault. We had so much time to prepare, if you're only looking now, sucks to be you. Harsh and honest reality mate.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • Spidey, PRO TIP: Oftentimes new people to the boards are relatively new to the game. This means they aren't likely to be going back months in the game. Another PRO TIP: Some people are holding themselves to a code of ethics that would disallow such actions due to a determination to limit the effect of multis in the game. Some people don't want people to gain unfair advantages from their multis.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • Kaleg Nar wrote:

Spidey, PRO TIP: Oftentimes new people to the boards are relatively new to the game. This means they aren't likely to be going back months in the game. Another PRO TIP: Some people are holding themselves to a code of ethics that would disallow such actions due to a determination to limit the effect of multis in the game. Some people don't want people to gain unfair advantages from their multis.
      If you aint cheatin you aint tryin.....

The entire thing is hard to go and please everyone. Honestly when the merge was made GF should have stopped creating accounts on target servers that most likely would have stopped most place holding towns.
    • You probably missed the part where as soon as legal multi's were announced I was all over the boards screaming about how many ways the system could be broken and abused, and when we were told that donation score would be carried across to target servers as a donation pool and that legal multi's could donate to the same islands as other multi's and this wasn't considered bad form or abuse and about the only two people that stood up and tried to explain how broken this was was myself and turkeh (always a voice of rational objectivity that one, well worth respect!), and we all know how much i love donating. None of that has changed.

New players who have joined post merge have been here a few days they'll have 2 colonies maybe 3 if real lucky, so no real issues there, anyone else, had time pre-merge to set up an account and scout islands and then use the teleports as soon as the merge opened. You know, like everyone else with a brain did.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • Kaleg Nar wrote:

Spidey, PRO TIP: Oftentimes new people to the boards are relatively new to the game. This means they aren't likely to be going back months in the game. Another PRO TIP: Some people are holding themselves to a code of ethics that would disallow such actions due to a determination to limit the effect of multis in the game. Some people don't want people to gain unfair advantages from their multis.

Well I came back from a 8 month ghost, only reason I came was I got a email about the merger.
      So I came back about a week before the merger.

My account was in shambles, no ct's, no ms... they ate the gold and left.
      a big stack of wine, some sulfur.. not much else.

Most of my time was spent just trying to get my gold/supplies back up.. hit immortal inactives left and right.. last pillage returned only 3 mins before server down :P

Despite the short notice I was able to scout spots..
      I scoured the map.. found about 20 spots of varying suitability.

No place holders, no nothing, just foot work... in fact I did this on the last day of merger.
      So after merger I had my list, I checked it twice, most spots was already taken, some was'nt..

There was one about midway down my list that was still wide open.
      I watched and watched, contacted my old alliance and found out where they was moving to.
      Could not find a decent island cluster still open where they was moving ... it wasn't until about 8 hours after merger that
      the spot I was looking at started to fill up.. I made the hard choice.. close to alliance mates w/sub prime location, or a decent cluster
      Come from 6 years of lousy location on Delta, I made the hard choice to move somewhere decent.

This all happen within 24hour window.
      So there's not much excuse for those who didn't at least look at the map for a new location.. no trickery was involved, maybe the very best spots was taken by place holders and MWC's but certainly it was possible to find and obtain a spot with a little bit of work.

1 of my towns did get stranded but that only happen because I waited 8 hours to start moving to my spot.. others was warping in at the same time..
      So I have only my self to blame for that one.

as for anyone less then 2 months old? you probably barely have any towns and you're a different kinda screwed because even if you pick a chain you like if it's a decent chain then you'll probably not have any spots open when you create new towns.. which happens quickly when you're new.

new people to the legacy servers at this point are going to be picking over some very chewed meat.
      the natives already has most of the best spots.. and us refugees are filling up all the gaps.

any one new or small and not yet developed will likely have to take what they can get or wait for spots to open up via ghosting.

sucks to be them for sure.

TLDR: Anyone who spent even a little bit of time scouting locations would have found a decent spot to move to.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.

The post was edited 1 time, last by raztan ().

• I know all the reasons for why people put up their mobiles on attractive islands. And no matter how you twist or turn it, its unfair. I like fair play and honourable players. You see islands with like 3 players, and the rest are their mobile cities. So greedy :/ And not encouraging, probably a factor for why certain players stop playing.

I came from Lambda, and had great islands, and wonders. Not even ONE island became the same. And I got relocated like 10 or even 20 islands away from my original one.

It was a great idea though, that the wonders from now on are not locked to a specific resource. I like that. But there are fewer wonders around and it's virtually impossible to for example have a wine island centrally placed to be able to support your other towns. Now you are kind of forced to have your cities spread along the map, with long travel times. Even longer now when all Posseidons are taken.
      It could work if you like put ALL your cities on one island, but whats fun in that when you cant support your alliance in a case of war, cause you are so far away from the battle.

I'm only here cause I'm doing research on how a merger works. I'm from Sweden and play on the Swedish server. I'm the leader of the biggest alliance there. And I'm learning for my alliances sake for things to come for us over here.

Gameforge had their chance to really rework the layout of the world, the islands and the wonders, but instead for really using their brains ,they ( of course ) went for making as much money as possible. As long people play and PAY they are happy. Not to design a great game.
      For example, people will probably in the long run pay other players to get good islands. That way more ambrosia will be bought. This list could be made very long on how Gameforge now even more can force us to buy ambrosia.
      Of course they need to make a living. But why not make a living on a great product?
      They don't give a sh...t to what their customers say. They are very selfish and with bricks in their ears when it comes to really constructive criticism from outside their playground.... MONEY MONEY MONEY......
    • Soulmachine wrote:

I know all the reasons for why people put up their mobiles on attractive islands. And no matter how you twist or turn it, its unfair. I like fair play and honourable players. You see islands with like 3 players, and the rest are their mobile cities. So greedy :/ And not encouraging, probably a factor for why certain players stop playing.

How is smart planning and working together within your alliance poor form? That to me is the crux of working together as an alliance. Tbh, I don't see the big deal with it at all. They're simply willing to sacrifice to get a known good value rather than an unknown value and in addition, are probably working to make alliance islands.

The world is big enough that you should be able to find a cluster of islands that aren't inhabited with a bit of searching. It's all about 1) scouting 2) intra alliance communication and 3) timing.

You should be ready for the merge, when the merge happens round up all the troops to login ASAP. You should have a scouting account on the target server of choice to determine the layout before the merge and validate that there aren't any issues in that area.

Again, it's all about preplanning. The fact that you tested this merge is a good start, but to blame other players for coordination is just silly. Take the lesson and apply your own coordination with your alliance.

Also, scouting based on current island mines levels is silly. Anyone can donate and build the mines up, which is a HUGE advantage. You need to realize that map control is more important than a few mine levels (especially at higher mine levels).

The post was edited 4 times, last by Death Scar: grammar ().

• Soulmachine wrote:

Of course they need to make a living. But why not make a living on a great product?
      They don't give a sh...t to what their customers say. They are very selfish and with bricks in their ears when it comes to really constructive criticism from outside their playground.... MONEY MONEY MONEY......
      Singing my song.

They don't consider what is happening abuse. They expect it will cause more people to buy ambrosia, and therefore consider it a good thing.
    • Pro-tip: all this multi nonsense is dumb as rocks. It probably explains why the average IQ of the remaining players floats at about 40.

Now that the new ikariam reality is here I think we should take advantage of this and re-brand the game with a more descriptive title.

Maybe something like : Vietnamese multi account temple leeching world.

Or maybe : No one speaks English above a grade 3 level multi account temple leeching world.

Or possibly : This game will never be finished because it's designed by a committee that thinks multi accounting temple leeching is good, world.

I can probably come up with some more, but I do not like to give free consultation to profitable companies. OK. just this one time -

How Wonders Should Work (or - how to design a wonder system that is not complete retarded)

The Problem :

Island faith is a soul crushing, moronic dynamic that is never understood by new players and not even understood by most who have been playing for years.

It promotes grief style play where a butthurt player (or one of his multies...srsly) can damage people who are actually playing just by having a temple without priest. All this player has to do to cause stress to a whole island is log in once every two weeks with the result being a 24/7 dampening of the islands wonder. 15 people get reamed by one zombie account that does nothing other than log in to continue the crapfest. This has been happening for years and years. That's a lot of stupid. Now coupled with the 'legal multi' nonsense - it is off the hook.

The Simple Solution :

Change Island faith so that it ONLY relates to island mates of the SAME TAG. In this way 'leechers' only hurt their own team and it will instantly remove the incentive for this brain damaging, multi leeching dynamic that we have now.

Each alliance on the island has their own wonder faith level with no relation to other tags on the island. So simple.

This does not remove all the stupid from the design with wonder build level, wonder power level, faith level, group faith blah blah, but it does remove the handle used by grief players who only want to crap on everyone.

Consider this my good deed of the day. :havecookie:
      Do Not Disturb My Circles