Server Merge Reduced Resource Yields

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Server Merge Reduced Resource Yields

As a player who has donated over 140,000,000 to the resource nodes on my islands, I had some pretty respectable node levels prior to the merge. With the merge, I was given the opportunity to bring in donations from abandoned islands and put them to good use again, which sounded like a nice perk to balance out the hassle of having to donate again and wait for the upgrades.

What I wasn't expecting was to end up with 5 of my 8 nodes being down a level from where they had been before. At nearly 29M in donations needed to get back to where I was, I'm looking at diminished production for the better part of the next year, based on my donation pace. While my neighbors can certainly help, it seems that other high volume donors like myself are uncommon. I hope others on my islands still have resources to donate during the post-merge event, but I'm not holding my breath for any significant volume.

I understand I had the opportunity to move my cities, but all the spots I looked at with higher resource levels have been 16/16 from the moment I logged on after the merge. So as to not run out of time to donate all of my previous resource donations, I decided to bite the bullet and arrange my empire as close to my preference as possible on islands with respectable development.

I guess I'm just miffed that my previous advancement was not able to be carried forward. The development pace of my empire is going to be behind the curve it had been on, despite my efforts. I'd expect that anybody else in the same boat will also be disappointed with this aspect of the merge. The flip side is that other players are going to end up with better islands than they had, so some players will be happy.

Ultimately, I want to encourage everybody to donate regularly to their islands' resources. You not only help yourself by doing so, but all of your neighbors too, both old and new. And who doesn't like having a good neighbor?

StickyJr

The post was edited 2 times, last by StickyJr ().

• What account are you playing and where out of curiosity?

And basically your gripe is summed up as this:

You donated heavily but didn't co-ordinate with your other island members to transfer to the same island to get to pre-existing levels as a minimum, or, indeed far, far higher levels. Everyone is in the same boat, at least you are able to have donated all your resources in the time frame, some players physically could not.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • Or maybe his gripe is "I was benefiting from other (possibly long gone) players on my old server for years, and now that I'm relying only on my own contributions I miss their help." Either way, it doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world. I was on a target server and had to pay to warp a town and left behind all the donations. :tearup:
    • Unfortunately this is one of the crap shots of the merger.
      Perhaps you had above average mine levels and are now the receiving end medicoracy.

get with your current island mates and see if they're gonna help.

if they go long periods of no donations try messaging them and let them know the mines are a community resource and a W.I.P (this means everyone should donate a little as they go)

If all else fails pillage them and use their goods to build the mines up.
      but i'd use that as a last resort.. feuding with island mates can be a real headache but sometimes it's necessary.

It was never promised the mines would end up of equal level.. sometimes it's gonna be less sometimes it's gonna be more.
      one of the sacriffices of the merger.

I do wish the town warp vouchers didn't have an expiration date.
      several people was moving to the target island as the same time.. 1 of my towns got left behind..
      Im sure a spot will open up and im willing to wait but the 18 day span won't.. kinda sucks.. not expecting them to change it but I wish they would.
    • I think it is a pretty minor gripe. I seem to have landed in 11th place as a donor, and I may slip a few more spots as people finish their reserves up, but in any event I am one of the people with the largest reserves, and alone I would have no way been able to have islands approaching what I left behind. Even with fairly minimal coordination with three islandmates who were good donors from the old server, I manged to improve my position slightly as well as get the wonders I wanted.

Additionally, I chose my town locations immediately upon arrival. There were a lot of islands I didn't consider, because they were full. After I made all my decisions, messaged my previous islandmates, who eventually joined me in many places, I started to pillage the inactives. Then they removed most of the inactives, scattering my troops and opening up many islands.

I don't mind my troops scattering so much, that was only like an hour. But why, if they were going to remove inactives, couldn't they have done it as part of the merge? Then I could have chosen my locations based on their absence. Anyone who didn't even bother to log in until three hours after the merge never saw them, so why penalize people for being around earlier?

That miffed me, but I only ended up moving one town to a place that had opened up when they removed the inactives. Mostly I am satisfied with what I got. My top previous island (41/34) isn't duplicated in my new arrangement, but overall I improved my position, partly due to again being joined by generous friends, and partly by being joined by generous strangers. And that top island contained a finished marble town, so it is better for me to have my production shifted elsewhere.

Saw Mill levels (highest to lowest):
      41, 39, 38, 38, 37, 37, 37, 36, 36, 36, 28 old server
      40, 40, 40, 39, 38, 38, 38, 38, 37, 37, 37 new server

Luxury levels (highest to lowest):
      34, 32, 32, 31, 31, 30, 29, 29, 29, 27, 21 old server
      33, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 31, 31, 31, 30 new server

Not only are my islands genrally a shade better, but presumably they will continue to grow faster than before the merge. Additionally, I was able to donate at least 20 million to each island, so I don't feel that any of my new islandmates got stinted.

Since I initially raised the issue of people not having time to donate (this was when the merger was first announced, and I figured we would all merge to an empty server with all islands 1/1), I was pleased that it wasn't much of an issue. I thought for people with one island it would be worse than for me, with 11. There are still people in vacation mode from the merge, so presumably there are a few folks with donation reserves left, but mostly I expect we have reached our starting points for normal donations. Changing the time for upgrades from 12 hours to 8 hours was a big help for me in making the merger smooth. I didn't have to feel pressured to donate quickly and it meant that much of the time at least one resource on an island was free to donate to.

One thing I would have liked to see was the ability to optionally donate wood not from our reserves. I had to manage alterately shipping wood out and pillaging in one town, where I was hauling in a lot of wood, and couldn't donate any of it to avoid having too much. I did need to ship for a multi-million wood building in a nearby town, so it didn't really bother me, but for future merges there should be an option to donate wood from the town rather than from the reserve.