Eliminate IP Sharing and Multi-accounts

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Hi,

    You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

    Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

    Ikariam team

    • Eliminate IP Sharing and Multi-accounts

      I may be in the minority here, and feel free to consider the following as my opinion but when GF decided to merge servers and allowed Multi's(as opposed to having the legal and within their right balls to say to everyone to pick 1 account, rest will have to either be given away or deleted with all Ambrosia on those accounts being credited to the main), you opened up a can of worms that no longer can be contained. Piracy was bad enough with "multi's" but now that its "legal" to have up to 10 other accounts besides your main, other facets of the game in terms of resource pushing, gold pushing and donations are taken to a whole new level. Even if the interactions between third parties and the multi-accounts take place every 2-3 days, weekly or even monthly, its still an "unfair" advantage to everyone else who only has 1 account. I know there are multiple people who share the same IP but sadly the abuse of others has led me to petition that IP sharing and Multi-Accounts be abolished. Here are 3 reasons why.

      Scenario A: Gold Pushing. Player A's Multi's buy expensive goods from Player B(even a Multi of B since interaction with A and any account of B is perfectly legal(hence why I said its a can of WORMS)) and gives Player B a lot of Gold. Player B then buys same amount of goods from Player A's Main at same price, moving Gold from one Player A account to another Player A account. You say that the ships of the Main have to wait until ships of Multi are at "home" for it to be legal but I'd put money down that this is rarely, if ever, the case when this goes on and even if they waited, the simple fact this is allowed is game-breaking.

      Scenario B: Resource pushing. Player A's Multi's sell goods at the lowest possible rate possible to Player B(even to a Multi). Player B then puts those goods on the Trade Block at same price. Player A's Main buys goods at same price, hence moving a ton of goods it otherwise couldn't receive(outside of Piracy or Pillaging) for a modest cost in Gold(which won't be a problem if they do Scenario A a few times). Again, even if they wait until Trade Ships are back, the simple fact this is allowed is game-breaking.

      Scenario C: Donations. Since you're allowing Multi's now, they can all group together on the same island and have the multi's do the bulk of the donating while the main focuses on building. That's an advantage that all 1-account players do not have and in the early game gives them a huge leg up over their competitors(enabling them to get their structures higher and faster). I don't mind a player inviting 12 "distinct" friends on 12 distinct IP's from sharing multiple islands but the fact that a lone player under a single IP can do this is game-breaking.

      TLDR: Eliminate IP sharing and Multi-Accounts. I haven't even brought up the game-breaking effects of Piracy and what effects Multi's have on that but I think the 3 scenarios above are the direct result of GF's decision to allow multi's(and the lack of a deterrent not to push the boundaries of the rules). I've had it up to here with the blatant unfairness in this game and unless things change, I will not be around for 2016. I mean Ogame is dying, this is dying. I wonder why? :eyeroll:

      The post was edited 1 time, last by DarkHelmet: bizarre formatting ().

    • And your suggestion almost year after server merge is ...? Force to delete / give away accounts where players have invested already so much time and also money? I could bet that many player would deleted their all accounts after such changes.

      I agree, multi are not good for game and they should have more restrictions (like no possibility to be on the same islands etc). But now the train is gone. That's it. It's impossible to change something now - we need to live with that.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • Draxo wrote:


      And your suggestion almost year after server merge is ...? Force to delete / give away accounts where players have invested already so much time and also money? I could bet that many player would deleted their all accounts after such changes.

      I agree, multi are not good for game and they should have more restrictions (like no possibility to be on the same islands etc). But now the train is gone. That's it. It's impossible to change something now - we need to live with that.

      Not really. They can still limit the number of multies to 3... I mean why would anyone need 11 accounts for other purposes than gaining an unfair advantage over his adversaries?


      Sig made by DrkAngel.
    • If there were allowed 11 accounts per person it would be just a nightmare to force him to delete 8 of his accounts now.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • Draxo wrote:

      If there were allowed 11 accounts per person it would be just a nightmare to force him to delete 8 of his accounts now.


      It's pathetic that you would even have 11 accounts.

      I agree, it's a terrible thing to have in this game. Piracy is already stupid, but I can go look at multiple islands on Apollon and show you that the entire island is one or two people with multis to run CP for them. Where's the fun in the game if you have to cheat your way to everything.
      I'm Great
    • It's pathetic that you would even have 11 accounts.
      Yes, I have as well, and also my ally members and neighbours have - they are basically for pircay point exchanging and taking spots on island. If game allows you to do it - no reason for not to do it. And ask players to deleted such multis where already is invested their money and time (and not even talking about all planning) - sorry, it sounds just like nonsense.

      Of course, multi accounts are not good for game itself but you can't blame players who use them. Otherwise someone will start whining about players who attack on nights, are too active or whatever he doesn't like in the game. Everyone has the same positions in the game and everything depends on time and partly also on money you can invest here.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • my best friend and i started playing this game again when chi opened up a few years ago. i had played in the past before that so i could explain everything to him. we let the GM know that on occasion, when i was at his house or him at mine, we would have the same ip. they set it up where anytime we were with one another we couldnt transfer goods and have fleet contact and all that. However our biggest reason was when attacking in war times we could both sit down and communicate and plan attacks easier and more accurately. because he ran navy and i ran army. allowing us to group up and attack other players.

      after the merge everything came to a halt. no if i attacked an enemy, even in war times, he couldnt attack the same person. AT ALL. no a different town or anything. we were also FORCED to sign the IP sharing agreement even if we watched our fleet contact because if we didnt we would get banned, no questions asked. there is still 50 USD of ambrosia on one account, and about 200+ on his account. a week after merge we both quit. the second reason was i was top 50, putting in a lot of hours i want to say i might have been in top 30 but after merge my account went to over 600's. so all my time to be a top player on the chi server was wasted to players from other servers being open longer and having more time on said server.

      Now getting back to Draxo, after reading your posts the only reason your defending the ip sharing is because like you said you have 8+ accounts. that you also claim to have a lot of time and money into. now the time i can understand. but your the one who spent all the money on other said accounts. you could have played like a lot do and not spent a dime but for the extra advantage why not spend some money. had the only thing you have invested in your other accounts is just some time in which for piracy or donations or what not i believe your outlook would be different. but the accounts are clearly being used for other reasons.

      Using accounts for donations and holding island spots is a bit ridiculous. island should be set up like they used to, which worked fine before the merge, island spots are first come first serve and donations only go as far and the island mates are willing to push it. yes you have leachers but even with the new ip sharing you still get many leachers and lower donation scores for main players. because they use their multis. piracy is a joke to and even more extent, now the game is based on who has more multis that can farm more points faster. that is it. let alone anyone with a brain knows that said players are using programs to collect those points. no one is going to log in and out of 10 accounts every 2.5 minutes for points, and even with the 7.5+ minute runs it is still ridiculous that people can do it. plus making all the emails and keeping up with each account. i can do a lot but even running 2 different accounts on 2 different servers you lose track of what building your upgrading at what town on what server without writing EVERYTHING down. and by then your hand is going to be so cramped after the first few weeks you wont be able to move a mouse.

      I am with Dark on this one, i think either multi accounts should be deleted and only one account per IP address like most major MMOs. having 3 per ip address i could see being better then 11, and at most gives some players 6 if they use a computer and a smartphone off of wifi. but simply stating that. OH "you do that and everyone will just quit" is childs play to get people to disagree with it. i seen more players quit after the merge due to the ip rule then not.

      Spidey Taak wrote:

      Learn 2 play.


      A lot one man can say, but sometimes the least is most helpful
    • Now getting back to Draxo, after reading your posts the only reason your defending the ip sharing is because like you said you have 8+ accounts. that you also claim to have a lot of time and money into. now the time i can understand. but your the one who spent all the money on other said accounts. you could have played like a lot do and not spent a dime but for the extra advantage why not spend some money. had the only thing you have invested in your other accounts is just some time in which for piracy or donations or what not i believe your outlook would be different. but the accounts are clearly being used for other reasons.
      I've never said that multi is a good thing. I was always against allowing more multi than merged servers (e.g., if 3 servers were merged into one, then only 3 multi in target server), also no new multis after merge and additional restrictions - like no multi on the same island, in the sama ally or friend list (believe me - since I'm an admin in another community I tried much to make this done). BUT - it should be done before server merge, before players set up their islands and donate resurces, before they spent money and time into the multi accounts and before all game's environment was adjusted to playing with multi.

      Now that train is gone. Period. If GF didn't realize this before merge then it won't happen anymore. But now I and my friends have just need addaptto this new situation and use its benefits.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • Draxo wrote:

      Now getting back to Draxo, after reading your posts the only reason your defending the ip sharing is because like you said you have 8+ accounts. that you also claim to have a lot of time and money into. now the time i can understand. but your the one who spent all the money on other said accounts. you could have played like a lot do and not spent a dime but for the extra advantage why not spend some money. had the only thing you have invested in your other accounts is just some time in which for piracy or donations or what not i believe your outlook would be different. but the accounts are clearly being used for other reasons.
      I've never said that multi is a good thing. I was always against allowing more multi than merged servers (e.g., if 3 servers were merged into one, then only 3 multi in target server), also no new multis after merge and additional restrictions - like no multi on the same island, in the sama ally or friend list (believe me - since I'm an admin in another community I tried much to make this done). BUT - it should be done before server merge, before players set up their islands and donate resurces, before they spent money and time into the multi accounts and before all game's environment was adjusted to playing with multi.

      Now that train is gone. Period. If GF didn't realize this before merge then it won't happen anymore. But now I and my friends have just need addaptto this new situation and use its benefits.


      You aren't really even playing the game anymore. You're taking out key factors of it. Building islands, sharing islands, actually doing your own work. You might as well sit on your ass and ask for someones big account when they quit.

      Just because GF is stupid enough to allow it doesn't always mean you should do it, but whatever. I'm used to seeing idiots in this world. I'll still enjoy my game.
      I'm Great
    • I'm just gonna say he's still playing the game. Whether or not you respect his style is another matter. It takes a different type of effort to use that many account and while it's not the way I choose to play, one must realize it's a way.


      Heather wrote:

      But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

      HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

      But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • I'm okay with adapting. It's almost a requirement. Sure, you can refuse to do pirates, to play barbarians, or to use several accounts. Heck, you can refuse to donate if you don't believe in it. If it's within the rules, it's promoted as fair game for all.


      However, to be against this many multi's, i'd agree with that point. There's really no reason to hold 11 accounts, even with the server merge situation. It's simply there for plain abuse. It seems a bit ridiculous. I'd rather not hear about how they couldn't change it because too many people invested too much time in having 11 accounts. GF has never considered players "time and money spent" attributes when making a change. In a dying game that they refuse to make major changes, they look for the best available money grabs, even if it slowly continues to kill the game. They've done it with some of their other games/communities. It's not as if this game simply isn't working out.

      That being said, this wouldn't change unless they believe GF can profit from this sort of change, which I doubt at this point.

      At the end of the day, having 11 multis and abusing players will make others quit as will players bullying others for resources. Every game style has its consequences.
      LegendaryKiller

    • Cσℓву210є wrote:

      Just because GF is stupid enough to allow it doesn't always mean you should do it, but whatever. I'm used to seeing idiots in this world. I'll still enjoy my game.


      So true. :thumbup:

      sig by Checkmate

      I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
    • Talking to draxo about multis is literally more painful that banging your head against the wall!!

      Simply put no multis allowed by anyone unless a server merge has forced it, in which case you can have as many as the merge caused i.e. if 2 servers had merged and you HAD 2 accounts you can keep them not you can now have 2 accounts. No fleet contact etc...

      It is ruining the game no matter how much work it takes to run 11 accounts, its not even playing for fun its playing just to be the best and in effect seen as cheating!!! :thumbdown:


      Avatar and sig by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
    • Legal multiaccounting is the only way for honest players to compete on an even field with the multi cheaters. People were cheating and using multiple accounts long before GF changed the policy to allow multiple accounts per player. Even now the cheaters still have an edge over the honest players but it is less than it was. And as long as Ikariam is free to play GF will never dedicate the resources needed for game officials to properly track and stop illegal multis.
    • I would save your breath. Dont get mad at the people who use multi. Gf were the morons who destroyed a game so badly they had to merge the serves because they were so stagnant. It's legal and if there's anything you should have learned from game forge is they don't undo things.
      You know what's really great about being a narcissist? Me.

      Wars won against: BTF, 101st, UN, UNR, BLOOD, VOZER, CELTS, -VIE-(Pi), -VnA-, UbNi, -NL-, REAL, BILL, UNREAL, PIMP, MTO, FUZZ, PIMPx2, Wolf, G-BRO, A-O, PIMPx3, FUZZx2, AOK, WarCry, -VIE-(Sigma), Pinas, -SPA-, FED, -HoH-, FILO, -SA-, TNT, DrInK, TRN, B S(omi), Honor

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Backspace ().

    • Talking to draxo about multis is literally more painful that banging your head against the wall!!
      Talking with Xarius makes less sense than talking with a tree, since tree seems to have more intelligence.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • none of you are going to like the update they are working on to release by the end of the year or beginning of next one.
      Trust me, you did not see the real mess yet.
      Since you seem to be working closely with GF and know their next planned versions - would you mind to share this info with us? :)
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Draxo ().