Military Advisor Toggle Option

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Slowboating

The biggest fix I would suggest for Ikariam is to fix the problems associated with slowboating. I am currently being annoyed by soeone slowboating me, and this has happened almost every time I have played Ikariam because I step on a lot of toes.

Need a definition? Slowboating is when a user sends a military attack on another player from a very long distance simply to keep that player's military advisor red. These ships or troops can take over 24 hours to arrive, and can be as small as a single hoplite or ram ship. This situation is made worse by throw-away multis, as a player can't retaliate against their attacker.

Need a solution? The best solution would be to allow a player to designate impending attacks that they "don't care about." Such attacks would no longer turn the player's military advisor red.
    • 5 Rename and resubmit under MILITARY ADVISOR OPTION

Add a switch next to incoming threats that allow you to turn off the red military advisor. This will not only work for the childish 3 day slowboat , used mainly by those who do not use the IP share and get around it by claiming to be on a school server, but also during battle when there is someone attacking from a few islands away.

Example: Someone attacks with carriers which makes the advisor red. It is over an hour before it arrives. I have been alerted and switch that attack off. I can still see it inside the advisor, but it is no longer red. 10 minutes later, another attack is sent but this one has no carrier which means it will arrive before the attack with carrier. The advisor turns red again and i have the option to turn it off. Without the option, the red light would be on and i would not know of the earlier attack without constantly looking in it.

The point of the military advisor is to alert the player of an attack? Let make it so it works.

SD

Ps

Can you change the voting so we can see who chooses 5 or 0? The cheaters who do not us IP sharing will be the ones who vote 0 and the ones who are always red will vote 5.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Swampdonkey: Can the initial poster change the post? ().

• Military Advisor Toggle Option

I suggest a toggle switch next to any attack within the military advisor.

When an attack is sent on a player, their advisor turns red. This is to alert the player of an incoming attack. Lets say the attack is coming from a few hours away with carriers and no Poseidon active. Then there is an attack closer and will arrive sooner. Unless the player constantly looks inside the military advisor, they do not know of the sooner attack. With the option, they would be able to turn the advisor off for the longer first attack and would again be alerted to the second quicker attack. The advisor would actually do its job in alerting the player this way.

This will also be a great way to better deal with childish slowboating, which is mainly used by multi accounts who get around IP sharing by claiming to be on a shared server like in a school.
    • [turkeh]

In general it's good form to submit your own version of a suggestion if you want to tweak what's already in place :). Also nope - voting is supposed to be anonymous so people can vote what they think is a good idea, without ingame reprisal.

[/turkeh]

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • It's a good idea, slow boat is annoying, I tend to hang out on my troop movement page so it's not really effective.
      But it is damn annoying for sure.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.
    • Slowboating is just a nice small part of strategy - for hiding real attacks or just annoying enemy, or blocking their town moving.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • And what about when someone is just mad that they are no good at the game, they have many multi accounts which the group shares, they vaca their main account for months, play on a different server, and slowboat people just to be annoying for months on end?

The military advisor is there to alert players of an incoming threat. Once you know about the threat, you should have the option to reset the alert for each individual threat. This is not only useful for eliminating slowboating, but during battle when waving is implemented. Your military scout can actually do the job it was designed for with a toggle switch next to each attack.

I renamed and submitted another link for this same thing. It is just more directed towards the actual military strategy aspect of the game. Please vote and comment on why you like or dislike the idea.

[Combat] Military Advisor Toggle Option

• Apparently, the poll's result has demonstrated two polarized opinions of players', with 15 loving the idea and 14 hating it. I believe those 15 supporters are players who do not slowboat others just for fun or for tactical reasons, whereas the other 14 naysayers are the opposites. Getting rid of slowboating is equivalent to getting rid of a favorable strategy of many players, so I can see why not many people like that change to happen.

Although slowboating is a compelling idea to me, I will have to go along with Swampdonkey on that.

That is just my two cents.

Thank you Ratna for the best signature I have ever seen :love:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sledge ().