Glossary

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Well, I am new here and I asked once what "v-mode" means because I didn't know. Now I have found some threads where they use terms like "DOW". So, I think is a good idea to create a glosarry where new users can lear the jargon. You can write the term in comments (definition or reuqest [and link if possible]) and I'll edit this post for including it in the very top. Let's start with V-Mode and "DOW".

GLOSSARY

D

DOW [REQUEST]

V

V-Mode: see Vacation Mode.

Vacation Mode: Can be activated when a player wants to go away for 48 or more hours and be safe from attack by other players. The player will not receive any resources for the duration of Vacation Mode as the workers are on vacation as well
      (more info: http://ikariam.wikia.com/wiki/Vacation).

The best sign ever. Thank you Ratna

The post was edited 3 times, last by zyxer ().

• There are not too many abbreviations that you need a glossary for.People usually learn it as soon as it comes to their sight and its not even hard to figure out.
      I will make a list of my own so you note it down for your needs...

CR - Combat report
      CT - Cultural treaty
      DOW - Declaration of war
      HoF - Hall of Fame battle (in US community; battle that produced more than 1mil total damage)
      GM - Gold mode
      PM - private message
      CM - circular message
      GR - Governor residence
      PT - peace treaty

GF - Gameforge, you may see this on boards way more than ingame

And I say that is just enough.You won`t need any more than this at all.
    • There are some abbreviations in the link provided by Kaleg Nar that are not mentioned in your list, as well, there are some provided by you not present on the linked list.

Now, what are Gold Mode and Circular Message?

The best sign ever. Thank you Ratna
    • zyxer wrote:

There are some abbreviations in the link provided by Kaleg Nar that are not mentioned in your list, as well, there are some provided by you not present on the linked list.

Now, what are Gold Mode and Circular Message?

Those that I provided are those that I see around all the time.Kaleg`s list is fine, but many abbreviations from that list have not been used for many years now.Nobody calls ram ship an RS, and same applies to the other units/ships on that list.Nobody calls wood a BM.... Same goes with mutual defence/attack policies, alliances are not even having those nowadays.Hence, I just shortened that list for you and kept those terms that are in use.

EDIT: I will just add HS - home secretary and DIP - Diplomat (you will see people calling that way)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord_Aragorn ().

• Gold mode also usually involves eliminating military as well.
      normally in conjunction of liquidating goods, leaving you easy to pillage but with little to no gain to the attacker.

The account just sits and collects gold.

MWC: Mobile War Colony.
      A temporary town setup in remote locations for various reasons, piracy and fighting.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.

The post was edited 1 time, last by raztan ().

• Lord_Aragorn wrote:

MWC was largely replaced by a term 'floater' :P

Probably by the whiner paper pushing pirates who can't fight.

Where I come from we call it a mobile WAR colony, cause that's what was used for :D
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.
    • Lord_Aragorn wrote:

Nobody calls wood a BM....

I call wood BM...

I also refer to floaters as mobiles time to time

And due to an alliance I was in on Phi, I call Steam Rams PWRs. (It's my understanding they were Paddle-Wheel Rams before.)

As for 'my' list, it isn't my list. It's Nemesis'.

And I personally think it's useful to know some older terms in case you run across them.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • Kaleg`s list in the meaning that you posted it.If I said Nemesis list, poster would question himself who is Nemesis now...

You definitely fill up your brain with useless things.If I did not come across those for the past 3 years, you surely won`t come across them now.Who is going to keep calling a steam ram PWR, when its name is no longer paddle wheel rams ? LOL New players will be confused at that point instantly.