Colonies distribution

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Colonies distribution

I'd like to know what is the colony distribution you think is the best (based on 12 towns and categorized by Luxury Resource). I am going to write what I think as an example (not pretty sure if is good or not and thats why I came to ask in the forum, after all, I have not much experieance in this game):

[For builders]
      Marble: 4
      Crystal: 3
      Wine: 3
      Sulfur: 2

Best Order: Wine, Marble, Sulfur, Crystal, Marble, Crystal, Wine, Marble, Sulfur, Wine, Marble, Crystal

[For Fighters]
      Marble: 3
      Crystal: 2
      Sulfur: 4

Best Order: Wine, Marble, Sulfur, Crystal, Marble, Wine, Sulfur, Crystal, Sulfur, Wine, Marble, Sulfur

[Blalanced]
      Marble: 3
      Crystal: 3
      Sulfur: 3

Best Order: Wine, Marble, Sulfur, Crystal, Marble, Wine, Crystal, Sulfur, Marble, Wine, Crystal, Sulfur

Those are examples, but what do you think? Whats the best way?

The best sign ever. Thank you Ratna
    • Builder

Marble 5
      Wine 3
      Crystal 2
      Sulfur 2

Marble Wine Sulfur Crystal Marble Wine Marble Wine Marble Crystal Sulfur Marble

(Crystal isn't hugely needed for building. This is why I reduced its number in favor of marble.)

Fighter

Marble 4
      Wine 3
      Crystal 2
      Sulfur 2
      Floater 1

Marble Wine Sulfur Crystal Marble Wine Marble Sulfur Wine Marble Crystal Floater

(Even fighters need to build. This is why I upped the marble. Sulfur should be on good islands to give a lot of production. I also removed one permanent colony in favor of a floater for war time.)

When it comes to balanced, I'd refer to the builder setup. I also find your initial setup interesting. I prefer marble before wine because it allows you start building the levels of TH that will need wine and various other buildings quicker. In addition you get that second colony quicker too.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • I like your Builder Setup (with some changes in the order) and I'd like to know what is a floater before commenting the fighter setup. Also, now I think is you are right when you say is better idea to use a builder setup for balanced user.

Builder

Marble: 5
      Crystal: 2
      Sulfur: 2

Order: Marble, Wine, Sulfur, Crystal, Marble, Marble, Crystal, Wine, Marble, Wine, Sulfur, Marble.

The part with the underline is the part I changed. Basicaly, I moved the 2nd Crystal and the 3th Marble to an early stage in order to build faster and because I think the research are specially important for a builder. But, as this is going to affect your tavern, you are going to need to pay special attention to your Museums, Winepress and Winegrower.

What do you think?

PD.: What is a floater?

• Floater is basically your mobile town - town that you set up according to your needs.Lets say you have eight towns but your palace and GR`s are upgraded for the 9th town.However, you decide not to create a permanent 9th town at some spot but instead you decide to create a mobile town somewhere, to use it as a link to attack somebody.When you are done attacking, you demolish it.You find a new target, you set it up again near the new target.Of course, scope of purposes is much wider but that is just an example to explain what is meant by it.
    • My main account: A builder, fighter and a pirate: prntscr.com/afzb0o

This is my other account: A builder and a fighter: prntscr.com/afzbv0

I pillage and use piracy for my main account for resources, rarely mine, other than wood (sometimes marble)
      I depend more on miracles than resources since people are SO generous in donating me goods :P (read: causing havoc by pillaging xD)

Both accounts has one mobile. My main account has perma forge and perma poseidon. My other account have perma forge, 3 poseidons and 1 colossus.

Found a bug? Message me or open a ticket
    • zyxer wrote:

Order: Marble, Wine, Sulfur, Crystal, Marble, Marble, Crystal, Wine, Marble, Wine, Sulfur, Marble.

The part with the underline is the part I changed. Basicaly, I moved the 2nd Crystal and the 3th Marble to an early stage in order to build faster and because I think the research are specially important for a builder. But, as this is going to affect your tavern, you are going to need to pay special attention to your Museums, Winepress and Winegrower.

What do you think?

PD.: What is a floater?

It seems decent so long as you're ready for the wine crunch. (That's the only concern.)

LA gave a good answer as to what a floater is. (Others refer to it as a mobile or a MWC.) One other use he didn't mention is for piracy.
      Now that you have an understanding of what a floater is, does it make more sense to you now why someone that did a lot of fighting would want one as opposed to a twelfth permanent colony?

Heather wrote:

• There are many uses.Even a trader can make good use of a mobile.Like I said, scope of its purpose is very wide and it depends on individual`s ideas.Yes, piracy is one of the possibilities.

By the way, I can also set my 12th town at any point, but I plant a mobile from time to time.Fits my needs better than setting up 12th town.
    • Personally as a builder I would go

8 Marble
      2 Wine
      1 Crystal
      1 Sulfur

Long term you need marble more than anything else, 2 wine colonies should be more than enough(I currently have a 12 mill acct with 11 towns and use 264 wine an hour total). You do need some crystal to upgrade academies etc and some sulfur to replace the troops but you wont need a lot of either since. As for the order Marble Wine Marble Crystal Sulfur Marble Wine Marble Marble Marble Marble Marble.

Now ofc this all changes if you are an ambro user in that case just go all marble and use trader when needed.
    • @Lord_ Aragorn: Thanks for the good explanation of what a floater is.

@Mea: It was a surprise for me not to see any sulfur colony even when I kwen it was a builder setup.

@Kaleg: Yes, I think the floaters are usefull, in fact, now I think I would use it (and even when my style is not defined yet, I think I would be a builder so Lord Aragon is right when he says "scope of its purpose is very wide and it depends on individual`s ideas"). Even when 11 if too much for me, I can undertand someone with this amount.

@Hari Seldon: About the first part, I like your analysis; about the secound part... I don't know... to have all colonies on one resourse... maybe even for an ambro user that can be expensive (I think, not sure, I don't use it).

GENERAL:
      For me, it is interesting to see that everyone has 5 to 8 marble in their setups and I initially had 4 in the builder setup. Now that I see that, and now that I know what a floater is, I am considering this setup:

Marble: 5
      Wine: 2
      Crystal: 1
      Sulfur: 1
      Floater: 3

AND question for Hari Seldon: Why do you have 2 wine is you only use 264 an hour? Probably you can produce mor than that with only one wine colony..

EDIT:

Lord Aragorn wrote:

My 32mil account has all 12 marble towns.I guess I will make new arrangement when I am completely done with building.

Isn't that too hard?

The post was edited 1 time, last by zyxer ().

• Well... you focus your research on economy and you gain satisfaction through research.That slightly reduces your demand of wine.

Other than research, believe me it is not any harder than having to transport your wine from your wine town to other towns.All you need to do is establish some trade agreements, buy/exchange from/with people and you are good to go.Especially if you can find one right next to you.
    • Would you like the option of a toggle next to incoming attacks to turn the military advisor off/on for each individual attack? 33
        5 - I love this idea! (23) 70%
        0 - I hate this idea (5) 15%
        4 - I really like this idea (4) 12%
        3 - I like this idea (1) 3%
        2 - I dislike this idea (0) 0%
        1 - I really dislike this idea (0) 0%

zyxer wrote:

@Mea: It was a surprise for me not to see any sulfur colony even when I kwen it was a builder setup.

Like I said, I rely on pillaging and piracy for resources. My miracles are the most important, not the mining of resources. I usually gain between 600 and 800K of EACH resource in 11 towns. That makes it A LOT of sulphur :P I am never short of that, usually I end up converting wine and sulphur into marble, wood or crystal.

Found a bug? Message me or open a ticket
    • it was just an example i use ambro and actually just have 11 marble colonies. just mention why you shouldn't need more than 2 wine colonies, even though currently you I can get by with 264 wine an hour but it will only grow my taverns is close to max capped and my museums are max capped so except for economic futures I can't gain happiness except by using more wine. Also earlier on in the game wine is good for trading and having them is useful, the bigger you get in general the less you trade, i mean currently i normally need like 500k or more of a resource type for a building upgrade so trading isn't a valid option anymore, my army is never in fights neither is my navy and I am happy with my academies.

I would argue that most hard core builders don't have a sulfur colony since they use so little of it can be traded for, same with crystal. In general i like to plan long term not short term so even though early on in the game sulfur and crystal can be useful in the long term a builder needs little more than marble and wood.

as an note unless your a super fighter or pirate 3 floaters ic completer overkill you will never need that much i would say even most fighters or pirates wont need more than 3 floaters.
    • Having a good fighter account capable of planting 3 floaters requires heck of building and is not easily achieved.On top of all, I would say that one is more than enough assuming that you are looking from your own perspective, not alliance.If it was about alliance, then let others have their floaters too.
    • I agree with Hari about the floaters. Three is most definitely overkill.

With having towns all on one resource, it's only 5 ambro to convert so if a player converts once a week, that's 260 ambro a year which is about 20 bucks during a happy hour. So compared to other ambro things, it's not the most expensive of them all.

Also, as already mentioned, trade is quite useful to the one island person. On Omikron, DarkHelmet has his towns all on a wine island and is a non-ambro player. The way he gets things done is the market by selling wine (it sells really well) and buying everything else sans BM/wine to grow. It's rather interesting seeing him go.

Heather wrote:

• RiMe_King wrote:

and since you are new and not very bright, I will tell you to have wine press in ALL towns
      Not even in one. I found an old thread where they analysed the Winepress and I decide not to use it. Best look next time.

Mea1 wrote:

Like I said, I rely on pillaging and piracy for resources. My miracles are the most important, not the mining of resources. I usually gain between 600 and 800K of EACH resource in 11 towns. That makes it A LOT of sulphur :P I am never short of that, usually I end up converting wine and sulphur into marble, wood or crystal.
      I see... I have to admit I have not learn how to use monuments yet. Right the only strategy I have is around monuments is to try to have at least on of each one and try to repeat the one I find mor interesting.

Eloy wrote:

i say you play around with it and see what you like you can always change it later
      Good advice.

Hari Seldom, Lord Aragorn and Kaleg Nar: Hmmm... I see... maybe I have understood how usefull they are but looks like I don't know implications yet. Then I am going to focus on the 9 cities I said and later Idecide what to do with the rest.

Kaleg Nar, Mea1 and Lord Aragorn: It's pretty cool what Mea1, DarkHelmet and Lord Aragorn (in the account with all marble) do. I think understand the strategy but it still looks like I am not brave enought to try it.

• No, it is NOT easy to fix things later on.Better plan your strategy right now.When I figured out my plan with all marble towns, it did hurt to make a change.

I had to demolish winegrowers in wine towns and alchemist in sulfur town, because they were practically USELESS when towns moved to marble island.
      Server was released in the old generation (no marble forges), so my miracle on marble island was Athene.In my sulfur town, I already had a temple to have a forge at my disposal and whatever was on wine islands was useful back then - I had to destroy those temples because I had no use of them anymore.

Not to even mention how harder this gets if you are not willing to spend Ambrosia - your rearrangement will require that you demolish towns, invest and build them up again and at the end of the day - you have to find that one perfect island for yourself.Whole thing may take lot of time and there is always a risk of getting hostile neighbors who managed to capitalize their chance at setting a town or few of their own on your island.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord_Aragorn ().