Small towns

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Small towns

so I'm curious, what is your definition of a small town? what would the population be? what kind of businesses? what might the entertainment be? would you rather live in a small town or a large city?

my guess is that it might be different for several people, depending on where they live. for instance some may think 30,000 people is small town, but actually where I live that would be a city, on the smallish side, but still a city. I've also lived in a city of around 190,000 people.

Both cities and small towns have their advantages and disadvantages. For example small towns definitely do not have have the shopping options, dining out options or the same entertainment options as cities do, but they do have a little safer feel (for instance everyone pretty much knows everyone else), and believe it or not there seems to be less privacy (everyone know pretty much everyone else, therefore, their noses seem to be up in everyone's business), however your kids can bike ride across town without too many worries, can play in the yard without me constantly being out there too, and there are a lot of people who would lend a hand if the need was there. I actually like the anonymity of a city, but I do like the safer freedom for my kids of a small town too, I like the larger dining options of a city (greasy bar food, or greasy diner food just not as appealing to me as hibachi, or Chinese, or Italian, or Greek, or what ever other choices I might find in a city), however I do save a lot not dining out and have found that I can make close to the same thing and sometimes even better. I also like being the ability of just leaving for a few to get some shopping done real quick that a city offers, course the 90 mile drive from a small town to do the same does allow for extra thought time or talking on the phone to my sister that may not be done as often if not for that, and it is a beautiful drive too. Really I haven't decided which I like best, because they both have their goods and their bads.
    • Like you said varies from person to person I have lived in a village of 1500 people and a city of 360000 and I think they move have advantages, the village offered a nicer lifestyle, quieter and calmer with nice little shops etc...

The city offered me options, work, entertainment etc...

for me though it has to go to the city just because it offers so much and the convenience!!

Avatar and sig by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
    • Damia wrote:

so I'm curious, what is your definition of a small town? what would the population be? what kind of businesses? what might the entertainment be? would you rather live in a small town or a large city?

my guess is that it might be different for several people, depending on where they live. for instance some may think 30,000 people is small town, but actually where I live that would be a city, on the smallish side, but still a city. I've also lived in a city of around 190,000 people.

I live in capital city with about more than 20 million people, so we call a place with 190,000 people a small town... I guess the category of town or city, it depends on which country we live...