Handling of banned accounts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Handling of banned accounts

I just had the weirdest thought last night for a retired ikariam player. How come when accounts are banned they are permanently taken away from being used ever again? Here's the thought that randomly poked into my head. Player A gets banned for cheating in some way, let's just use multi accounting as the example since it's the most frequent. Now instead of loosing a account to perma ban here's my thought. Game forge takes the account and changes the info and details, then bans it for however long the account needs to considered average to below average. Then game forge with the account details completely changed could give away the account to someone considering joining a server. This way the account isn't lost forever and your encouraging people to return to the older servers and keep them active by giving away accounts that don't have to start from the beginning. The person caught cheating (Player A) obviously wouldn't have the account anymore but the account can go to someone who could use it correctly.

Also the new player who gets it (Player B) wouldn't have any tremendous advantage because you've already let the account return to average or below average. I know it's more work but I think it would keep more players around, especially on the older servers. Obviously someone with a history of being banned wouldn't be able to take on of these accounts because they have a history of misusing them. So maybe a two strike rule could apply there or something, loosing that privledge of being able to get free accounts may make a person think twice before cheating again (maybe not but there would be some incentive there at least).

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?
    • No way.So much important data is stored with account to simply switch hands like that.Rules are clear; if you don`t break them, account won`t be gone.
      If it is gone, it is gone because owner outplayed rules to obtain benefit - hence account illegally obtained benefit.And you would keep it alive ?

Secondly, there is already enough bias with certain things.There would be no way to guarantee transparency from GF`s side in who gets the account.

As much as I usually like your ideas and input, gotta be honest and say this isn`t among the bright ones.
    • Lol no problem dude; it may have seemed like a long post but I didn't really think this idea out very long. More of it just popped in my head so I decided to post it to mix things up a little on the boards

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?
    • The average player has around 2-11 accounts on each server due to the merger. If someone wanted to return and not start over again, that shouldn't be an issue.

Jesse wrote:

Lol no problem dude; it may have seemed like a long post but I didn't really think this idea out very long. More of it just popped in my head so I decided to post it to mix things up a little on the boards
    • Yeah got that Jesse, but still, how would they ensure transparency and fairness over who gets the account ? It is one entirely messed up thing to do.
      Not to mention all the controversy of pushing accounts that benefited from illegal activity back in to the game.

Then we all would cheat - get our accounts banned.Then pretend to be someone else and new, stand in the line and wait for a bigger account than our original one.
    • Also, will point out that we rarely if ever perma. anymore. Almost all bans in the more severe cases are 1 year. While I really do understand not wanting to see people gone forever (believe it or not even I know People who have gotten banned that I didn't want to see go), when people sign an agreement to terms of service they really ought to be held to that standard. Tisn't fair to those who follow the agreement as signed and play fairly. We also have become more lenient over time - almost all (in the most extreme cases only is this not the case) are given a much shorter ban before 1 year is given.

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • Great idea but impossible to use just because;

A. People would just claim to be a new player with new e-mail etc... therefore circumventing the 2 strike rule.

and B. As said how would the accounts be given out a GO would have to allocate an account to a player and therefore allowing the bias, a friend joins and gets given the best one etc...

Avatar and sig by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
    • Turkeh wrote:

We also have become more lenient over time - almost all (in the most extreme cases only is this not the case) are given a much shorter ban before 1 year is given.

Basically we dont ban player but the account only. After 1 year, the owner of banned account may continue and play the account that has been released from the ban.
    • Xarius wrote:

Great idea but impossible to use just because;

A. People would just claim to be a new player with new e-mail etc... therefore circumventing the 2 strike rule.

and B. As said how would the accounts be given out a GO would have to allocate an account to a player and therefore allowing the bias, a friend joins and gets given the best one etc...
      Uh...there isn't a two strikes rule. At our discretion we normally grant leniency the first time round. Not a rule; not a requirement - simply it is given because we want to give players a chance to correct behavior, and we know that sometimes mistakes are made.

We will never be giving away banned accounts to new owners. However if people choose to give away alliance accounts to people previously banned (despite the general warnings we give regarding account exchange being at your own risk) we won't be re-banning them. As ratna put - bans are per account not per owner.

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • @turkeh i know there isnt a rule i was just saying as jesse intially suggested about the 2 strike rule with the accounts :)

also understand it wont happen however i feel if it were at all possible to do this kinda thing it would of been a cool idea :thumbup:

Avatar and sig by HONDA 775 :thumbup:
    • If you don't know the rules then you should not be playing, this is why accounts get banned but from what turkey has said, the staff have a lot of understanding to give players another chance. If an account is banned, it should stay banned. The game has recently relaxed the rules and if the rules become more relaxed the game will lose its appeal.

Don't break the rules then you are good, in game and on the boards.

HELL got sober BEGGING ON his KNEES