President Trump

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• President Trump

Last night, Donald Trump became president elect of the United States of America.

Let me write that again in case you thought you misread. Last night, Donald Trump became president elect of the United States of America.

It was only a while ago that we were saying, "Donald's running in the primaries? Ha ha that's cute. I wonder who will be the real Republican nominee." That gave way to, "Wow, he's doing better than I thought he'd do. But with those gaffes, he'll be finished soon." Soon enough we were saying, "Oh my. Donald is going to be the Republican nominee, but there's no way he'll beat Clinton." And now our election has gone to, "He made a huge gaffe and that video was released, there's no way he's going to win. Well he's doing better than expected but he's turned expectations topsy turvy this election but there's no way we'll elect him. Why has he not been totally eliminated? This is much closer than I thought it'd be but Clinton's gonna come up from behind I mean this can't be happening, OH @&%! It... happened..."

Anyways, shock aside, Trump's gonna be America's president. Clinton conceded and barring any major revelations or faithless electors, he's gonna be inaugurated in January. That said, whether or not you supported him, we can only hope he does a good job at the presidency, God willing.

So what do you think he's gonna do? Here's what I think.

1: We'll get a conservative replacing Scalia. The GOP won the House and Senate so he'll have backing.
      2: From his acceptance speech, he'll be doing some stuff for infrastructure which should get approved.
      3: Obamacare will be going Obye-bye.
      4: I doubt he'll get Mexico to pay for the wall, though I believe it's likely border security will be increased.
      5: I've no idea what foreign policy is going to look like. I really don't. I hope it'll be good. (Please no nuking.)

Obviously there will be more, and comedians will have a field day, but I'm not clairvoyant so I'm not sure.

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.
    • The GOP doesn't have a Filibuster-proof majority in the Senate so the Democrats can block any Court nominations indefinitely. Whether or not the Media will call them out on the Hypocrisy card is what to watch for(since they cried foul over GOP doing the exact same thing). Infrastructure spending is more appealing to Democrats than fiscal conservatives in his own party, so we shall see if he can get that through. Defense spending, regardless of what the left says, is badly needed. We got planes and ships that are falling apart and other ships/planes being cannibalized for parts just to keep others going.

When it comes to Immigration, he plans to deport all "Criminal Illegal Aliens". By definition, if you're in this country illegally, you're a criminal so he has to clarify what he means by that. Frankly though, I would deport every single one and place a bounty on their heads to ensure they're removed(while also going after their employers and using their assets to finance the bounty/deportation program). Then utilizing our Embassies and Consulates around the world as the mechanism to immigrate here to the USA(wherein we can do background, medical and other checks on potential immigrants). Note I haven't even mentioned the "wall"(which I deem to be a waste of $$$).

When it comes to Obamacare, the only thing I want removed is the damn mandate. No one should be "forced" to buy anything simply by "existing". Every other form of insurance is optional, why should health insurance be mandatory? I mean you don't have to buy life insurance, car insurance(if you don't drive), or home insurance so why do we have to buy health insurance? Its a sanctioned money grab by insurance companies backstopped by the Federal Government. If states want to set up Health exchanges(like CA did), that's fine. Just don't force me to pay for something I don't want.

He also won't be repealing or renegotiating Trade deals because our loss in Manufacturing has more to do with the following 3 factors: Automation(not needing labor), higher labor costs and moving goods to market(tied to the value of our currency) and demand for goods(people aren't going to hire workers if there isn't the demand for products...). We don't make anything anymore because other countries can do it for far less and no amount of Tariffs or Protectionism is going to change that(Hoover Administration should have taught him that).
    • Technically he's not president yet. He's president-elect until January. But still... I think the US is in for a bumpy ride for the next several years to say the least. Now that Republicans control every branch of government, we get to see what they'll do with it. At least now the UK won't be the only country that the rest of the world is watching and asking "What the *bleep* were you thinking?!?!"

Trump made a lot of promises that are either unconstitutional or impractical. (Good luck forcing another country to pay for a wall or banning a religion from entering this country.) How much of that was rhetoric and how much he can actually fulfill should be interesting to watch. I think we can all agree the late night comedians are going to have lots of material to work with.

I do want to point out something in this paragraph:
      When it comes to Obamacare, the only thing I want removed is the damn mandate. No one should be "forced" to buy anything simply by "existing". Every other form of insurance is optional, why should health insurance be mandatory? I mean you don't have to buy life insurance, car insurance(if you don't drive), or home insurance so why do we have to buy health insurance? Its a sanctioned money grab by insurance companies backstopped by the Federal Government. If states want to set up Health exchanges(like CA did), that's fine. Just don't force me to pay for something I don't want.

Auto insurance is also required in most if not all states, for very similar reasons. The people with insurance end up paying for the people who don't get insurance. (and yes, there are people who are required to have insurance even if they don't drive. Teens get automatically added to parents' insurance even if they never get behind the wheel.)

These days the lines at a typical ER no longer stretch out the doors of our hospitals daily. The reason for that is because more people can actually see a regular dr for ear infections, coughs, and other minor ailments. Take out the mandate and a lot of those folks will be right back at the ER relying on charity care and letting the hospitals soak up the cost, which then gets passed on to their other customers and insurance companies.

While it sucks having to pay for something you don't want and/or don't need, that's how the world works sometimes. :(

He also won't be repealing or renegotiating Trade deals because our loss in Manufacturing has more to do with the following 3 factors: Automation(not needing labor), higher labor costs and moving goods to market(tied to the value of our currency) and demand for goods(people aren't going to hire workers if there isn't the demand for products...). We don't make anything anymore because other countries can do it for far less and no amount of Tariffs or Protectionism is going to change that(Hoover Administration should have taught him that).

I agree with your logic about why we lost manufacturing. Unfortunately I don't know how much Trump would agree with this. If he pulls the US out of those trade agreements, we will see skyrocketing prices on the things we import (which seems like darn near everything these days.) But I don't know how many people will believe that will be the end result until after the fact. I can easily see him inflicting this on us just to fulfill one of his big campaign promises. In fact I think this may be one of the easiest campaign promises for him to pull off, assuming the rest of his party goes along with it.

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
    • DarkHelmet wrote:

The GOP doesn't have a Filibuster-proof majority in the Senate so the Democrats can block any Court nominations indefinitely. Whether or not the Media will call them out on the Hypocrisy card is what to watch for(since they cried foul over GOP doing the exact same thing). Infrastructure spending is more appealing to Democrats than fiscal conservatives in his own party, so we shall see if he can get that through. Defense spending, regardless of what the left says, is badly needed. We got planes and ships that are falling apart and other ships/planes being cannibalized for parts just to keep others going.
      There's a saying: you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. If their opposition doesn't believe in even having a hearing on their candidate, why should they? For example, I don't believe in hitting people, but if someone hits me, it wouldn't be hypocritical to respond in kind.

I agree that the left should cooperate on infrastructure spending since they believe in it (and as you pointed, republicans don't as they showed for 8 years).

The US military is basically a job program for the south. Ofc it's needed too and it makes sense for it to be well funded... but it's already way past that. It has ballooned while facing didly squat that comes even near. It's pork, nothing else.

DarkHelmet wrote:

When it comes to Immigration, he plans to deport all "Criminal Illegal Aliens". By definition, if you're in this country illegally, you're a criminal so he has to clarify what he means by that. Frankly though, I would deport every single one and place a bounty on their heads to ensure they're removed(while also going after their employers and using their assets to finance the bounty/deportation program). Then utilizing our Embassies and Consulates around the world as the mechanism to immigrate here to the USA(wherein we can do background, medical and other checks on potential immigrants). Note I haven't even mentioned the "wall"(which I deem to be a waste of $$$).
      You'd issue 11+M bounties or are you speaking about the ones that commit a crime on top of the "crime" of being there? Can't go further until I know that answer. Although I can say that I don't have it in me to deport 11M people that are just trying to feed their family and ready to die on the battlefields for the country.

DarkHelmet wrote:

Well, DT is supposedly for single-payer. If he is, he'll find the left (hopefully) ready to cooperate and so that mandate thingy is kinda moot.
      If he isn't, well, any changes he wishes, he better have an anti-filibustering margin.

DarkHelmet wrote:

I totally agree with you there... and frankly, the HRC campaign stunk at making that point. I guess she calculated that she would loose Bernie voters if she did. I think this might be where she lost the election.

Schluups, Mad ruler of the Schluupsonians
    • I'm terrified. It isn't just Trump that the people elected, it's his whole pack of questionable Conservative supporters and lackeys. His Cabinet is going to look like something the Avengers should be fighting. President Trump will just pardon Chris Christie for his hand in Bridgegate and probably make him Secretary of Transportation. Giuliani will be Attorney General, horrible Kellyanne Conway will probably be Chief of Staff, I don't even want to think about this. Sheriff Joe as head of Homeland Security. I bet he chooses that abominable judge who let Brock Turner off with a slap on the wrist as his first pick for the Supreme Court. All the while Trump and his Breitbart buddies are going to be giving nightly speeches on Trump TV while Pence makes all the policy decisions. Only the lowest, most desperate Republicans backed Trump and now they've got control of the government.

I'm not even so much afraid of what President Trump can possibly do to destroy this country, I'm afraid of my neighbors. This is who they picked. Donald Trump represents the average American voter. That smirking, bigot, sexist, scumbag opportunist is the secret face that has been hiding behind the mask of every one of his voters. I hope his voters get everything they asked for. I hope everyone who stayed home instead of voting, everyone who picked a wacky third-party candidate, I hope they all get what they deserve. Trump is the President America deserves, and may God have mercy on us all.

• Honestly this thread is becoming a joke. So many are so quick to jump the gun against Trump and completely ignore Hillary and all of her cancerous :censored: the ideology that Trump represents the "dumb side of America where it's okay to :censored: your sisters and daughters" is a joke as well. It's unfortunate that most of you truly do not have an idea in regards to what it is you're talking about when it comes to politics, you should feel more obligated to educate yourselves in the near future.

Sig by June 8)
      Love is like air, without it... I die.

spaPOT wrote:

no worriess..you see im a kid thats why im dumb..kuku :pillepalle:
    • In a year people will be begging for President Obama to come back.

In two years people will be begging for President George W. Bush to come back.

In three years we'll be begging for old King George to come back and reclaim his colonies and the failed experiment we represent.
    • Well voter turnout was down from last time so frankly if you didn't vote, you have no basis to gripe about anything and if you did, best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. When I mentioned deporting 11m illegal immigrants, I meant deporting 11m illegal immigrants. The key word being illegal or the fact they're in violation of our laws. Those who have committed other crimes while here have a higher priority but every single one should get the boot. If we can send a man to the moon, we can sure as hell deport 11m people. When there is a will, there is a way.

@June: If you drive, I find Auto Insurance to be an acceptable requirement. Why? Because you don't have to drive a car in this country. You can walk, take the bus, train or other forms of transportation to get around. Driving is a privilege(not a right) and therefore if I wish to exercise that privilege I have to buy insurance. Forcing people to buy something they don't want simply for existing is the crux of the point I'm trying to make.

@Alhazred: Don't you mean George H.W. Bush(aka senior?). Seriously don't even bring up Junior... or Bill for that matter. Im barely old enough to have a vague memory of the guy in the 80's. However, I do understand your outlook but I think you're being a bit too pessimistic and premature in stating the world is going to end. Nothing has happened yet. Did a giant douche win? Yes... but look at the Turd Sandwich he was up against...
    • Americans just screwed themselves and the whole country without any idea how and where this monkey Trump will lead them.

R.I.P. USA.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • I find some solace in the expectancy that trumpy will probably be primaried successfully by david duke in 4 years.

Then, trumpy could focus on having someone write a book for him. He could call it: My Fight.

Schluups, Mad ruler of the Schluupsonians
    • I think America voted into office the lesser of two evils. I seriously couldn't stand the guy from what I had seen of him over the last 30 years or so in the media. My impression was he was a rich obnoxious fat cat, that was probably never in touch with the average person.

Now, I am hoping for a silver lining. On the positive side, he is not a career politician. I think that is why neither of the parties wanted to accept him. Maybe he will bring something new to the table and actually make things better. Time will tell.
    • Dark Helmet wrote:

@June: If you drive, I find Auto Insurance to be an acceptable requirement. Why? Because you don't have to drive a car in this country. You can walk, take the bus, train or other forms of transportation to get around. Driving is a privilege(not a right) and therefore if I wish to exercise that privilege I have to buy insurance. Forcing people to buy something they don't want simply for existing is the crux of the point I'm trying to make.

If you find the current auto insurance laws acceptable then you should be fine with the mandate for health insurance. People do have to buy auto insurance even if they don't drive. In 3 years my insurance will skyrocket because my oldest son turns 16. He won't be driving. He probably won't even get his temps. But I'm required to add him to my insurance and (from what my insurance company has told me) they will add him automatically. This has been the rules for a long time. I was added to my mom's insurance when I turned 16. I didn't start driving until nearly 19. It's the same idea.

No one chooses to get sick, or get in an accident, but it happens. And when that person doesn't have coverage, everyone else has to pick up the bill either directly or indirectly. The mandate makes sense. (But no one's asking you to agree or like it. We can agree to disagree on this one. ;) )

Sharpe12 wrote:

I don't like his lack of ambition. His wall is absurd, we in England have a 20 mile wide moat, that's worked well for us. :)

We have the entire Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, plus the gulf of Mexico. does that count for something? :P

I think the wall idea is silly. It might keep some people out, but it's not going to keep the truly determined. I think the return on investment will suck. There are much more useful construction projects he could focus those funds on. (Because we all know Mexico won't pay for it.)

Xerxes III wrote:

My impression was he was a rich obnoxious fat cat, that was probably never in touch with the average person.

Agreed.

Xerxes III wrote:

Now, I am hoping for a silver lining. On the positive side, he is not a career politician. I think that is why neither of the parties wanted to accept him. Maybe he will bring something new to the table and actually make things better. Time will tell.

It's possible. At the very least we now get to watch as the people who have criticized Obamacare (and everything else) for the last 6 years can come up with something better. It's much easier to complain about something than to actually do the job and do it better.

@ I AM.. I wanted one of those signs. :tearup:

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

The post was edited 1 time, last by JuneBarcarolle ().

• I wish that I had made my comment before Trump was sworn into office, but......Oh well. I was on Obamacare when I was unemployed for 6 months. I hate it because it was too expensive and the real issues are not being addressed such as high lab and hospital costs. However, if there wasn't Obamacare, then I never would have been able to get health insurance while being unemployed.

As a side note, this country is very divided just like it was before the first civil war. If we (both Democrats and Republicans) do not work together on the real issues that matter then there wont be an Ikariam anymore because the USA as we know it will cease to exist simply because we are ripe for the next civil. I've seen so much hate out there, Republicans and Democrats fighting each other. I've even lost two best friends simply because I voted for the President whom they didn't vote for. 20 years ago after I saw just how divided this country was as it was in the 1850's, I figured that the next civil war will be fought between liberals and republicans. I really hope that I am wrong because I do not want my daughter to grow up in a country of ruin.
      "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience"-Julius Ceaser