Leeching

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• I've seen a lot of people talk about how they deal with leeches (with force generally), so I'm curious to know how you would do that if the leech is heavily militarily focused and far larger than you, such that you don't really stand much of a chance of doing anything more than wasting your own resources if you attack them.

To give a more specific situation for the hypothetical: Let's say the person donated 2000 :wood: once on their first island, and never donated to anything ever again, has expanded to several more islands, you share a couple of those islands with him, and his military score is ten times your own. Everyone else on these islands (including yourself) donates regularly. Neither of you are in an alliance.

What do you do?
    • I dont think donation to island is a big issue on old server after several merger, many islands with high level forest & mine there. It is a big issue on new server and good luck for those who play there :D you need to use the art of diplomacy the deal with donation island leechers and when it is failed use another skill, the art of war.
    • For me it would depend on several details. Are we talking about mines that are really high in level already, or mines that still could be reasonably leveled? There comes a point when meaningful donations still aren't going to do much as far as leveling up the mines. Also, if you're a small player right now (which is what I'm assuming judging by your initial posting) are you truly being limited by how many workers you can put in the mines?

Assuming the mines are sufficiently low enough that the average player would expect people to donate, I would first suggest talking to the player. If he ignores you, send a message to his diplomat to find out what their alliance policy is for donations. Explain the situation to him/her to see if you can get anywhere diplomatically. If that doesn't work, try talking to your own diplomat. If this doesn't work you could always go with Kaleg's suggestion. :P

Overall there are a few options, but it really does depend on circumstances. It wasn't that long ago when I leveled up some of my own mines out of the teens.... on an old server. :unsure:

Leeching does still exist as an issue. But like Kralizec said, some people just will not donate. So consider all of your options and whether it's worth picking a fight with your neighbor.

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

The post was edited 1 time, last by JuneBarcarolle ().

• I don't even consider people who fail to donate to mines leeches anymore. At least they don't affect my production, just some hypothetical higher level we could all have if they donated. It's temple leeches that bug me. You know, if I have to hire more priests just to convert their citizens I should get something out of it. Don't these citizens tithe? If they're coming to my temple they damn well better start.
    • There should be penalty for theese leeches, like some rule if they don't donate at least 5k of wood each week they get banned for 2 days, and while in untouchable mode when begginning at least 1.5k of wood each week. That should do it. It's not much and you have to do it so you don't get banned.
    • Ari wrote:

There should be penalty for theese leeches, like some rule if they don't donate at least 5k of wood each week they get banned for 2 days, and while in untouchable mode when begginning at least 1.5k of wood each week. That should do it. It's not much and you have to do it so you don't get banned.
      [turkeh]Sorry, that's not happening. Social norms are not something that should remove someone else's ability to play the game[/turkeh]

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • There should be penalty for theese leeches, like some rule if they don't donate at least 5k of wood each week they get banned for 2 days, and while in untouchable mode when begginning at least 1.5k of wood each week. That should do it. It's not much and you have to do it so you don't get banned.
      Donating is a voluntary action. Please don't try to make it mandatory, as it's just a nonsense.
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      (c) Albert Einstein
    • I agree but,...

With leeches comes pillaging, with pillaging come bad language messages, with messages comes war, after war some smaller players don't want to play anymore cuz they're constantly pillaged. It's an infinite loop and I said that about penalty so ikariam players don't quit playing, I'm trying to keep some new players on servers, luckly I have account huge enough to help little ones grow and learn how to protect. Everything on servers is connected and leeching is not part of that connection, it's like a pest you can't do a thing about.
    • A simple solution to mine/mill leechingw ould be for every level of town hall a player has in a colony coupled with every level of mine and mill on an island that much wood is donated each day per town on the island to each mine and mill free without cost to the players' themselves.

E.g. you have a level 20 town a level 20 sawmill and a level 15 quarry, that's 55 wood a day for that town that would get donated to the mines and mills. In a week that's 385 wood. It's not much but over a year that adds up. Ikariam is a long term game. It will contribute meaningfully.

E.g. You have a level 40 TH, a level 45 sawmill and a level 35 quarry, that's 120 wood a day for that town. Say 16 towns on an island are like that, that's a bonus of 1440 per day. In ten days 14,400 wood has been donated, it adds up over time, and it's insignificant otherwise but as a whole that's a solid amount of donating. Some people have played for 5+ years and haven't donated anything at all, this way their prescence alone would cause a greater development towards mine/mill development.

To temple leeching - it's a strategy of warfare, to my mind it should stay an option.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • Spidey Taak wrote:

To temple leeching - it's a strategy of warfare, to my mind it should stay an option.
      Temple leecher is different case, yes indeed. The one who has done it usually knows nothing how to work as a team with players sitting on the same island. OR ... if you're happened to be on the same island with your enemy and he intended to hurt the miracle, it may be part of his strategy