New Boards Q's

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• New Boards Q's

I know turkeh mentioned we'll lose our Board pm's (NOOOOOO!!!!!), but what about other things on the Boards?

Will we still have our avatars, sigs, and post counts?

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
    • It's a little tricky to answer since it seems results vary. I *have* heard that there are issues with post-counter not working properly on other boards that have done the transition. I hope that won't be an issue, but it might be one.

Avatars might need to be re-uploaded, but probably not. The test migrations that were run did not lose these types of things, however attachments (used in the attachments tab on posts) will likely be lost. Signatures shouldn't be lost since these are externally linked anyhow.

Edit:
      There will a slight modification to images hosted off site - it will be required that they be hosted on https sites, vs. http for security reasons.

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • Yes, everyone will begin with a clean slate. Perma-banned accounts will be removed and be given an opportunity to begin a single new board account. (Of course prior rules regarding board multi-accounts still stand. So you can't restart your board multi-accounts that were previously banned if you had them.)

:turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • If I am correct - the AR community (Argentina) has the new Wotlabs Board version 4.
      Leader of the UNDEAD alliance on Ny (transfer from Lambda)
      Leader of the UNDEAD alliance on Lambda (R.I.P)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Administrator/Bureaucrat of WikIkariam - the English Ikariam wiki

The post was edited 5 times, last by Morphias ().

• Turkeh wrote:

Yes, everyone will begin with a clean slate. Perma-banned accounts will be removed and be given an opportunity to begin a single new board account. (Of course prior rules regarding board multi-accounts still stand. So you can't restart your board multi-accounts that were previously banned if you had them.)
      I had an account that was permanatelly banned before. Does that mean I have to delete this one and go back to the original one or continue using this one?
    • Some small addendums:

1. User accounts perma-banned prior to 2015 will be removed. The others will stay - however if you'd like to use the email/name on your new board account open a board ticket to us with the email on the board account and we can change the banned account/email for you. We will still be granting all players a clean slate, regardless of when they were perma-banned.

2.The board update will take awhile. Currently we have been told our boards have too many posts, so we are working to reduce posts in threads that are less important. Anyone who can help link to threads with unregistered users or threads without lots of server history would be appreciated.
      Lol I realize this is ironic after Alhazred's post but...

• Turkeh wrote:

2.The board update will take awhile. Currently we have been told our boards have too many posts, so we are working to reduce posts in threads that are less important. Anyone who can help link to threads with unregistered users or threads without lots of server history would be appreciated.
      How would you like people to do that? Report the thread maybe?
    • Actually replying here with a link. To get the link - there is a number in the upper right corner of all posts. Right click, copy link address. Then post that link here. Thank you VERY much if you're able to help us out.

• I can't promise I'll actually get around to it but I was going to check through all the threads I've started over the years and see how many of them can just be deleted. The ones where I'm complaining about Happy Fun Time or just trolling you mods can probably go, stuff along those lines.

I bet that various moderators could inspire all sorts of thread-checking and reporting by making it a competition and giving away those ambrosia tickets.
    • I'll be the noob and ask some silly questions:

What are subscribed Boards, undone threads and unread posts? There have been plenty of things I've read over the years that I wish I could unread, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about here. :P

Also, I give props to whoever managed to get :picard: added to our list of smiley options. We have needed a good facepalm icon for a long time.

sig by Checkmate

• Do you think that the rest of the boards will be visible to guests anytime soon vs having to log in to see it all? Just because I'm sure there are many ika players out there who dont have a board account but who do sometimes want to check out the boards.

Thanks to Svana for the sig
    • Drk is right - Subscribing is a lot like favoriting used to be. It'll notify you of new posts - Can you take a SS of the done part however?

• if you really need to delete posts, I'd suggest starting with non-ika related sections of the board from the past- fandom, politics, religion etc may be fun, but if things gotta go, I would hope that "off topic" (non-ikariam related) stuff goes first. There's also the mafia game archive as well.

then maybe look at the spam threads for things like "ban the person above you" and the like.

you could also do a board search for posts of less than 10 characters as well, to find posts that are just emojis or "me too".

and I've seen some posts which are now only dead link image placeholders (presumably to images which are http not https). I presume that if there is no other text in such posts, that they could go too...
    • Why is it that our boards are so "secure" that only people who are registered and logged in can read them, but other communities don't have that restriction? I was looking at the Argentine boards and they were open to the public. I've been told the uk boards are that way too. And yet our boards are so secure that trying to share a link to a thread is like sharing a link to a bank's online-banking. It doesn't work.

Can we at least adjust the restrictions so that our own community can read the posts? Every layer of internet red tape cuts down on the number of people willing to bother with it.

sig by Checkmate