51st State

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• So I noticed you guys seem to have a few unincorporated territories who are American citizens, but have no representatives in Washington and don't get to vote for The President. Places such as Guam, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, currently inhabited by over 4 million people (assuming Kim doesn't get a lucky shot at Guam).
      It's even more absurd when you consider that Puerto Rico is closer to the lower 48 than Hawaii.

What do you guys think about this?

I think it's a good idea to create a 51st state with your Caribbean territory's and to incorporate Guam and such into Hawaii as a Pacific islands state.

Obviously I can see why republics wouldn't support 4 million more mostly poor latinos voting for president after their narrow win in the last election by minus 3 million votes. But what do the rest of you guys think about this situation?
      :gyrocopter-ani:
      BaM - Definition, bad at Mafia
      Sharpe12 - Definition, (Supremely handsome also refined, pulchritudinous & excellent) x12
    • Well, I think its mainly for aesthetic reasons; can you imagine the United States flag with 51 stars on it? Now that is a fashion disaster.
      Also, at least in the case of Puerto Rico, the people living there do not necessarily want to become a state. As of now, it is considered a commonwealth that is protected by the United States but is still semi-autonomous. In a world where every slice of land wants to be its own country (Looking at you Scotland and Catalonia!), becoming an official part of the United States isn't too popular. On the flip side, if Puerto Rico became a state, the federal government (and the other 50 states) would be responsible for helping them pay off their atrocious amount of debt, which state-side Americans aren't too keen on. The matter of having an influx of new voters in elections could also be an issue, but honestly in my discussions with my fellow state-men, it has not come up.

My opinion: I don't have too much of an issue with welcoming new states to the union, but its not only a matter of the United States accepting new states, but also a matter of those territories and commonwealths wanting to become a state.

Thanks to Ratna for the fantastic sig!
    • Byz43 wrote:

The matter of having an influx of new voters in elections could also be an issue, but honestly in my discussions with my fellow state-men, it has not come up.
      For reference, are the people you've talked to Democrats or Republicans?

Heather wrote:

But baka, how can you be the cop if you're not playing?

HaNs Na MiTrAljEzU wrote:

But then again, knowing Kaleg, it could also mean we're all screwed later.