Global Tournament Servers (whole world versus by country)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Global Tournament Servers (whole world versus by country)

First off, Ikariam is an easy game to play over a long period of time because most of it is based on building your account to an exponentially greater level with maxing out an account within reach - with enough time and effort put into it. Players can also break the silence by participating in exciting wars and close pirate tournaments.

However, after a year or two, alliances become entrenched and locked in place and players don't move around a lot. Such that there is not enough alliance growth, members moving around and playing with each other, or creating new conflict or partnerships. In which case, gameplay starts to become a chore and people leave.

And when people leave the server, there is less players to fight or befriend and the server dies.

Now alliances find new ways of adding excitement back into the server through wars - but then you are fighting the same people all the time - and the battles become easier because you know your enemy OR you and/or your alliance join a more active server and start again, keeping your old accounts in other servers in v-mode and investing time into the new servers. However, this just makes the old server die more quickly when alliances start splitting their time between two servers.

So I propose that Game Forge utilizes their "move old account to a new server" feature to allow players and alliances to move their established accounts to a new server, one that is Global - not based on a country, so that people from all over the world interact with each other creating conflict and relationships, and one that is set up like a tournament with tiers, for at the moment the cost of moving an account to a new server is based on whether or not your account is of a higher rank than the other players. There is a equality rule here that you have to be within a certain point level to join.

However if Game Forge created 3 tiered Global Tournament Servers, then they could create a server for + 1 Million Total Point Accounts, 500k - 1M TP Accounts, and 100k to 500k TP Accounts. This way the issue of equality is no longer an issue. And if it is, well, its a tournament server, so its supposed to be more difficult and if you pay for more premium items, it will be less difficult (so potentially these servers will have more players, more activity, and more paying customers).

Additionally these servers can work to help move out players from older server so that Game Forge does not need to merge servers, because the "merging" or moving of accounts will occur over time and at less volume (you're not merging two servers of 1000 accounts each, you are merging a 100 - 1000 people over a specific period of time, which is more manageable).

Moving accounts to these tournament servers should be free, if its not free, it won't work as efficiently because those who can't pay (people like me), won't move - instead they'll leave because everyone else did make the move. However, people like me create activity in the server by being an extra target and by being a part of alliances that help retain paying customers - so don't count us out - we appreciate what paying customers do to allow us to play the game for free, but if they did not want us to be a part, we'll just find another game to play. Which is something that people who get tired of this game do. I currently want to continue playing, but my server is dead, and I don't want to rebuild another account on a newer server as I've invested enough time getting my current account where it is and my current account is well balanced for fighting where a new account is not. So reduce the barriers of moving, and you'll see servers free up and players staying around to play the game.

Second, alliances should be able to move together. This will benefit servers by helping them position themselves better in the new server by gathering together or positioning their cities strategically to be in a better fighting position when the wars start - which they will because its a tournament server! But I mainly suggest this as an option because alliances are already starting up together on new servers and so the practice is there. It will also reduce the barriers of moving if everyone moves to the next tournament tier server together, because no one wants to leave their team to move alone to the next server, nor do they want to leave someone behind - such as a new addition to their team that may be a 30k TP account whereas everyone else is at 500k TP. In which case, the pre-requisites for joining a tier on the tournament server as an alliance should be set at the Alliance Total Points, not at what each player has, and the tier should be rounded up so that if an alliance of 20 players with 5 players at 500k ( 5*500k = 2.5 M) and the rest (15 = 2.5), then they would enter the mid tier together at 5 Million points, even though some of their members may not be able to join the mid tier alone at the required 500k TP. In this case, they ride the wave of their other members, but are at a possible disadvantage in the server (well..those 5 players, then have to support the other members so that they aren't overwhelmed, but this is easier to do as long as they stay in the alliance). So as an alliance, alliances can join a tier at: 50 million total points for tier 1 (highest), 5 million alliance TP for tier 2 (mid) and 1 million alliance TP for tier 3 (lowest).

Additionally, the Tournaments should be timed to every 5 months where at the end of the tournament, alliances and individual players have the option to move up or down or stay within their tier based on their total points at the end. Then after the tournament ends, there is a 1 month break where alliances or players move and establish themselves within the new servers before starting up the next tournament period (and the tournaments could have themes and prizes too to keep it interesting).

In this, there are 2 case studies from games I've played that do this well: 1. Elves vs Dwarves (formerly the hobbit: battle of 5 armies) and 2. Dawn of Titans.
      1. Tournament Schedule for Elves v. Dwarves (Gaea): goo.gl/b6qQ5J (these are named specific to ingame slang)
      2. First minute of this video shows you the tournament and leaderboard system of Dawn of Titans:

This is a great way for improving activity, providing a competitive environment, retain and create customers, and reduce the need to merge servers. It will also keep me from leaving the game, which would be nice, because I do enjoy playing, but most of my gameplay is focused on building the best alliance in the server and when there are no more people joining the server and no more alliances interested in merging, I become less active.

Knuckles
      Leader of [STORM] Boreas USA

The post was edited 1 time, last by knuckles: for better grammar ().

• Unfortunately even for brainstorming this falls under the following dead end ideas:

Anything that gives away a pay-to-use (P2P) option for free
      • Plus feature(s)
        Some users want to access the convenient features of Ikariam Plus, and pay real world money to do so. That is their choice. (That money goes towards the upkeep of the servers, so in essence they are paying for the bit of extra space taken up for them to have such features.) If you want to have those same features, you can buy them too.
      • Increased resource-gathering, Premium Trader
        Same as above. Extra resources and premium trades are not necessary to successfully play the game, but some players value these options and purchase Ambrosia to access them. (These players are not "cheaters" but are helping pay for upkeep of the servers, which YOU get to use for free.) Again, if you wish to have those bonus features, you can purchase Ambrosia.
      Nothing lifted directly or similar from popular culture or other browser games
      Items and/or ideas lifted from popular culture generally fare horribly when it comes to making them work in the game. Not to mention the possibility of copyright violations...

I think the idea of a global tournament server is a cool idea, but allowing players to move over whole alliances for free? Probably slim to no chance that will even be considered. I keep up hope that merges will be fixed, but this idea as proposed will not be doable.

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance: