SERVER MERGE

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Hi,

    You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

    Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

    Ikariam team

    • ZombieGuy wrote:

      Mea1 wrote:

      We are asking for merges on a weekly basis. Giving the numbers listed in this thread. However that doesn't change the fact that merges are impossible right now.
      Unless the technical team is filled with lazy incompetent people, I seriously doubt that a merger is impossible. A technical error that would render merging impossible would cause way more issues than just that, and even so, with a little bit of work is fixable.
      Personally, I only see two reasons why mergers are not allowed. The GMs are either hoping that people will buy ambrosia to transfer their accounts to active server, which is greedy and will kill the game, or they simply don't care anymore.
      Wrote about this a few weeks ago. Obviously has some holes, but also has a few ideas including international tournament servers to make the game more active and get people to spend more money: How active is this game nowadays?

      Server merges, as we all know them, are very large processes that take too much time and have a lot of issues getting it right from a historical and development side. Though some of you may be engineers here, so you might be able to speak technically on what can be done to make sure the server merge goes smoothly. In this case, if GF is not putting time into the game, I would ask if it would allow the community to help where we can, possibly by setting up a test network and merging the assets there to make sure it works before making it active (or open sourcing the project).

      However, with the feature of paying ambrosia to move your account to another server, we should be able to complete our own server merges based on individually moving accounts to a new server created for us: ie: brand new, virgin server, where all current players of all current servers are given a "free move" ticket to move our accounts to that server - no matter the Total Point levels. We'll take a activity over Total Score differentiators. We all know that maps in each server are huge, so filling them would take some time or a lot of accounts (more the merrier I say, especially with the rate of depreciation / people leaving being so high).

      This way, over time, all active players move to the new server and play together, while the old servers become inactive to the point that they can be closed down, saving GF operating costs for keeping multiple servers open. Then they can start adding new servers all over again :)

      Their answer to the post: Global Tournament Servers (whole world versus by country).

      I feel like we could just simplify it to a free move for every user to a new server, should they take the offer or not. But I would definitely move and likely request my alliance to join me. Would be fun playing in an active server of a thousand players again.

      Join our Ikariam Discord channel - no need to download, works from browser - (unsupported by GF) to continue the conversation if you want and connect with other users for CTs, Advice, more: discord.gg/dwtVmms

      The post was edited 6 times, last by knuckles: Added link to my post (that went active on sunday after a month of sitting around to be approved) & additionally for grammar correcting :) ().

    • Pepe el Pollo wrote:

      You can’t just merge servers, It wouldn’t be fair for the newer server’s players. What GameForge shoud think about is merge servers from different countries that have almost the same age. For example merge US alpha server and Spain alpha server and all the others servers from different countries that have the same age.
      That would be great and fair for everyone. Even GF would be benefit from this because players would be more willing to spend money in a more active servers like they were in 2008 to 2011.
      the problem is the language
      so the US server cant be merged with the spanish server
      but maybe a few smaller european servers(as the israeli server)
    • I don't think, that language is so big problem, because after first server merge , GF made it so, that you can communicate in english languge in non english servers. And my guess is that they made it for future server merges, where differently speaking communities could be merged together.
      Problem in merge now would be new special type servers, because they could be merged only with the same type servers from different communities. That would mean that if several communities would be merged in one, then players wouldn't have chance to chose server to transfer account and this special type server would be quite full of players. But from other side that would mean that this servers would be active.
    • Monk wrote:

      I don't think, that language is so big problem, because after first server merge , GF made it so, that you can communicate in english languge in non english servers. And my guess is that they made it for future server merges, where differently speaking communities could be merged together.
      Problem in merge now would be new special type servers, because they could be merged only with the same type servers from different communities. That would mean that if several communities would be merged in one, then players wouldn't have chance to chose server to transfer account and this special type server would be quite full of players. But from other side that would mean that this servers would be active
      i cant make it in a server that i dont understand the language
      and most of big european countries dont teach english in school so it would be harder to communicate
    • Recently saw statistics where it was shown that in European schools english is teached as first foreign language in about 80% of them and that way I don't want to believe that big Europe countries are the rest 20% that don't teach english language.
      And since english language in second allowed language in every Ikariam community, it means if two or more communities would be merged together, than most likely english would became only allowed language in this new server (except if communities with exact language would be merged together, like spanish speaking communities).
    • BloodRain wrote:

      The situation has reached catastrophic levels and a server merge is desperately needed. I'm tired of hearing that "It's not possible at this time", at what depleted player base is it going to take to see action taken? The longer it takes the more we loose. It's time to stand up and protest. If you support a merge, post in this thread.


      SERVERACTIVE PLAYERSOVERALL %
      Alpha
      N/A

      N/A
      Ny
      N/A

      N/A
      Omega
      153
      72%
      Apollon
      131
      59%
      Asklepios
      242
      62%
      Boreas
      164
      64%
      Charon
      115
      53%
      Demeter
      223
      69%
      Dionysos
      465
      69%
      Eirene
      588
      88%
      War Server
      252
      63%


      Stats subject to change at any given time
      This is terrible, if this is true then all the worlds should be joined into one.
      Life is an eternal struggle.
      Who does,he can.Who knows no fear,goes forward.
      Vojvoda Zivojin Misic
    • Monk wrote:

      Recently saw statistics where it was shown that in European schools english is teached as first foreign language in about 80% of them and that way I don't want to believe that big Europe countries are the rest 20% that don't teach english language.
      And since english language in second allowed language in every Ikariam community, it means if two or more communities would be merged together, than most likely english would became only allowed language in this new server (except if communities with exact language would be merged together, like spanish speaking communities).
      my father was in germany a year or 2 ago and he told me that there was no one to speak to him in english
      and i have a french friend who also didnt hav english in school
    • yes wrote:

      Monk wrote:

      Recently saw statistics where it was shown that in European schools english is teached as first foreign language in about 80% of them and that way I don't want to believe that big Europe countries are the rest 20% that don't teach english language.
      And since english language in second allowed language in every Ikariam community, it means if two or more communities would be merged together, than most likely english would became only allowed language in this new server (except if communities with exact language would be merged together, like spanish speaking communities).
      my father was in germany a year or 2 ago and he told me that there was no one to speak to him in englishand i have a french friend who also didnt hav english in school
      I learned English only in school, but the way of pronunciation is quite different from the real English language.That's exactly for Germany, I lived there for several years and it was very difficult for me to communicate because they will not speak English, and my language does not know.
      Life is an eternal struggle.
      Who does,he can.Who knows no fear,goes forward.
      Vojvoda Zivojin Misic

      The post was edited 1 time, last by kirby k2 ().

    • yes wrote:

      Pepe el Pollo wrote:

      You can’t just merge servers, It wouldn’t be fair for the newer server’s players. What GameForge shoud think about is merge servers from different countries that have almost the same age. For example merge US alpha server and Spain alpha server and all the others servers from different countries that have the same age.
      That would be great and fair for everyone. Even GF would be benefit from this because players would be more willing to spend money in a more active servers like they were in 2008 to 2011.
      the problem is the languageso the US server cant be merged with the spanish server
      but maybe a few smaller european servers(as the israeli server)
      Not really, half the players here already don't know English.
    • You don't need to speak english to play the game. Alliances already gravitate to their own languages anyways, like [PH] a Filipino group and [GR] a Greek team.

      So you'll likely see the same distribution in an international server as well as a few international groups that share a common language, like english or mandarin.

      Language shouldn't be an issue, though. At least not a barrier for merging.
    • :sarcasm: well said, Knuckle head :evilgrin:
      sorry, couldn't resist a lil tease on Your Nic. But, well said indeed.
      I play for fun. I don't sweat the petty chit, nor pet the sweaty chit. Proud to be a Member of -Z- on Boreas and Eunomia, but keep in mind it's just a freaking game, lol.
      Say Hello to Tris, My Wife and I's Rescue Cat. Mess with Us, She'll claw Yer eyes out 8^)
    • knuckles wrote:

      You don't need to speak english to play the game. Alliances already gravitate to their own languages anyways, like [PH] a Filipino group and [GR] a Greek team.

      So you'll likely see the same distribution in an international server as well as a few international groups that share a common language, like english or mandarin.

      Language shouldn't be an issue, though. At least not a barrier for merging.
      the ph members i met spoke english
    • Gιαɴɴιѕ wrote:

      Well, I recall saying it won't happen because Gameforge does not care about his board threads and revolution.Shortly after that, I have been removed.I don't care about your Discord, just pointing out that you guys are nothing more than a bunch of spoiled kids.

      I did no such thing Giannis. I don't have a problem with your position.

      However, another admin on the channel did kick you. You'll have to speak to Blackbird about it.

      ~ Knuckle Head (I like this)
      Current Leader of STORM...but we're thinking of merging..
      Audit Log.png