SERVER MERGE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• knuckles wrote:

At least create a trial program with tournaments or something. Anything will do at this point to make the game better.
      That is exactly what it all should start with, not with creating international server, that basically means just another server merge with out any improvements of the game. Merge will help only for short time period ( 6-12 months) after that time this merged server will start to die. There need to be tournaments and contests that encourages players to play and spend money, but only encourage not "pay to win".

knuckles wrote:

Also, can we look at revising Push rules so that alliances can reward members for collaborating in events
      In what kind of events and how big rewards? Give some ideas with example, not only complain about existing system. If you can come up with reasonable ideas with examples, than maybe they can be realizabled, other way currently it only looks for attempt to legalize pushing.
    • As for Push Rules, all I would like is the ability as an alliance leader to reward players with say 50,000 resources without trading at a 2 for ie: they give me 50k wood and I give them 100k wood = trade where they get 50k wood.

This is how we currently do things to manage the Push Rules by making sure everything is in the form of a Trade. But if there is some leniency or if I can alert GF when I am going to be rewarding a player or helping a noob get up to a TS level where they can grow more quickly based on the resources I send them, it would be helpful. Though GF shouldn't get bogged down by these tickets so if there is a better way of dealing with this issue, it would be good to know.

--

As for tournaments, yes, this would help bring activity back into the server. BUT there is still an issue that the players are spread too thin across servers. So even if there were tournaments where the top alliances would place and get rewards (as is in most games), there wouldn't be competition because everyone would just join the top 3 alliances or create 1 alliance to win every time.

We currently have Piracy Tournaments that are a bit better, but individuals win, not alliances - unless the alliance works together to get one of their members to place - which is what a lot of alliances do. Even though a lot of players just play (mainly on mobile) for placing in Piracy, there isn't much else to do as a team in the game other than declare wars which isn't very constructive: ie: we need more activities that help our members grow and stay active. At least from a leader's perspective.
    • Tournaments

Actually, GF could set up the Tournaments between servers of each nation = Boreas v. Alpha etc.

Making the Tournaments based around activity and providing premium resources to get more with the time you put in.

This might be a little difficult to manage. Though you could use a weighted average on different servers to equal it out. Say Boreas has 200 players = 200x Activity, while Alpha has 100 players = 100x Activity. Alpha can receive a 2x boost = 100x * 2 = 200x Activity.

In this case, it would bring up activity in all servers at the same time. Though there would likely be more cooperation inside servers and less wars. Unless that is, in the case of a Tournament based around Damage points gained in which everyone would build massive armies to destroy each other with to gain as many points as possible during the tournament.

I have seen this set up in other games inside a single server, but I'm sure it could work as well between servers.
    • Monk, they could use any of those, as well as MS, offensive/defensive scores. Thus encouraging each server to not only more activity, but interserver tourneys would help them solve the " we own the joint, but are too lazy/stupid to finger out why an actual merger isn't possible"
      It isn't because they can't, it's because they have no clue how. Making a new server is easier, since all they have to do is clone the original programming, and change the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol end address (HTTP for anyone Whom might have wondered what that stood for. YOU may have known, but not everyone would)
      Not having ever seen any of the source code, I'd guess the game is mostly HTML and Java. Newer coding wasn't very well developed when the game first started, and the basic look/functionality hasn't changed a great deal. Or. doesn't appear to have, to Myself at least.
      I play for fun. I don't sweat the petty chit, nor pet the sweaty chit. Proud to be a Member of -Z- on Boreas, but keep in mind it's just a freaking game, lol.
      Say Hello to Tris, My Wife and I's Rescue Cat. Mess with Us, She'll claw Yer eyes out 8^)
    • New

Just to throw in my 2 cents and give you guys an idea of GF's current merge practices...I've been playing over in the oGame community for roughly 13 years now. They recently did the 2nd merge ever in the .org server and I can assure you it was as much of a nightmare as some feared it would be. Inactive accounts (good source of income for many) were forced into v-mode. Then they wouldn't get taken out of v-mode if they had a military score. If you had an account in server A as well as server B, and server B was merging to server A, you had to delete one of them depending on which account you wanted to play. Then deleting accounts stopped working. People weren't allowed to give accounts away. Good God, I could go on with the issues but.....it was terrible. Basically, be careful what you wish for. I hope they do Ikariam justice. Its definitely a different game here as opposed to oGame, so hopefully a different merge.
    • New

the boreas targets are so limited

"I don't know about you guys. It's been my goal since the start of epsilon to kill the server.I enjoy bullying the little guys into inactive status.. pillagin the bigger guys into crying to their alliances, and they quit too. The only rule that has ever applied is "last man standing wins" I intend to win"
      -Napoleon Blown-Apart of Epsilon (Greatest saying ever)
    • New

BloodRain wrote:

Basically, if you're lucky enough to full all your CT's having 9-10 towns, you pretty much can't attach anyone but inactives! What fun is that? But let's be honest, who really has all theirs filled.....exactly. This is getting retarded.
      I am on Ny, I have 251 ct's currently. there are plenty of people I don't have ct's with and the server 'activity' is not as easy as saying active vs inactive players which is about what you seem to have.

NB: I'm separating my response into sections separated by lines (_________) to make it easier to read for you all.

Here's TWO HARSH TRUTHS FOR YOU ALL:

1) BROWSER GAMES ARE DEAD. Grow up already and accept this. Your average mobile game these days is infinitely more complex, addictive and appealing. Lets not even get into consoles or PC's or other handheld gaming devices. Browser games, were created in an era where none of this was commonplace and are nowhere near as complex, graphically intense, appealing or addictive. THIS IS THE BIGGEST HURDLE TO GETTING NEW PLAYERS ENGAGED WITH IKARIAM.

2) In relation to the first point above, Ikariam has very few resources allocated to it to improve it because it is not a profitable business model compared to other ventures Gameforge have going for them. Elsewhere on these boards someone mentioned that new servers are created frequently because it attracts new players and alot of players that will spend ambrosia to get ahead or to playa short term game which they rinse and repeat with the next server to be released leaving the last one behind. I've played for 9 years now, first on the U.K. servers and then here on the U.S. and this pattern has been consistent all those years.

Currently, it is in Gameforge's BEST INTERESTS to continue releasing new servers because they have limited resources to do drastic changes and updates and because it is a way for them to guarantee revenue.

How many of you in this thread have never bought ambrosia?

Newsflash, You're the sole problem with Gameforge's business model in relation to Ikariam. So many people who have never supported the company in any way want sweeping changes made but aren't willing to pay a single cent for it.

We don't need merges.

After both merges, the net number of players from all servers prior to the merges dropped. The new servers had artificially inflated numbers of players and most people were too blinded by these superficial numbers to actually realise how many people left. The original omikron server, roughly a quarter of remaining players on the server ghosted when the first merge was announced. You were already down to a situation where there were less then 150 active players. I had ct's with every single one of them except TheHulk (because, he and I don't always get on). I couldn't get max happiness depsite max level taverns and museums, but the server was still massively active despite the smallest number of players across servers, none of it was on the board, all of it was in server via players. A lot of activity on a server is never seen in any sort of empirical form and most people ignore this when starting and discussing issues like this. Alot of so called activity is based only on a fighter mentality that activity is only relevent if it is fighters fighting when this is so far from the truth it makes mine, and many other players heads hurt every time.

Merges damage the player base more then they help.

The solution to my mind is not more merges - you have the option of spending ambrosia to get off your server and go elsewhere (kiss your donations cores goodbye though) afterall.

What Ikariam needs to do, to my mind, is transition into is a system where they have all existing servers as they are and then they start a new server that resets every 6 months. This way they keep the current successful model of new servers that bring in a steady stream of ambrosia purchases and make them profitable for Gameforge, but don't get the negative side effects of having excess numbers of servers with small to non-existant player bases.

This model would give Ikariam 3 different server types:

1) Long term servers for anyone who wants to play the game hwo it is designed, for yeasr of gameplay (split into the legacy servers where miracles are ons et island resource types only - sulfur islands have hephas only, hello Alpha and Beta servers; and all servers since where miracles can be on any resource island type;

2) Short term, 6 month long servers to cater to the proportion of players that play new servers then levave the old ones and gof or the next new one because they like the short term and early server gameplay better then anything else; and finally

3) war servers - long term servers with increased speed of most things and gold pillaging, in effect a different subsect of ikariam for hyper aggressive gameplay.

Merging in ikariam a it stands could be a lot better when they do do them - New servers are created and you nominate which server you want to merge to. this way everyone merges toa fresh server. Youa ll migrate and have the option to teleport each of your colonies once (any on ambrosia slots are an ambrosia slot teleport also) and all donations are carried across. In relation to donating off donation pools, the upgrade time for that donatuion pool should be instant as opposed to time limited to 6-12 hours for an upgradee. There are multiple groups of people now who have collective island donation pools that exceed the ability of that fixed time limit to get donated to in amongst a normal working day. If the week donation time limit hadn't been extended last server merge, multiple high end players would have deleted their accounts and left (not left them to go inactive, demolished everything then left), this is a fact.

Merges are not a healthy solution to Ikariam's small player base.

I know of dozens of people who play still who will demolish accounts, abandon to a starting location, not donate anything and leave the game for good if a new merge is announced any time inside the next year and beyond. Most of them support Gameforge and Ikariam with the occasional, and in some cases, monthly, ambrosia purchase.

More merges are not the solution to make Ikariam a healthier game.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

non-nonsensical talk's was spidey's forte, you cant do nothing about it :D

Making sense is my forte and there's nothing you can do about it. :D
    • New

Amonkira wrote:

Just to throw in my 2 cents and give you guys an idea of GF's current merge practices...I've been playing over in the oGame community for roughly 13 years now. They recently did the 2nd merge ever in the .org server and I can assure you it was as much of a nightmare as some feared it would be. Inactive accounts (good source of income for many) were forced into v-mode. Then they wouldn't get taken out of v-mode if they had a military score. If you had an account in server A as well as server B, and server B was merging to server A, you had to delete one of them depending on which account you wanted to play. Then deleting accounts stopped working. People weren't allowed to give accounts away. Good God, I could go on with the issues but.....it was terrible. Basically, be careful what you wish for. I hope they do Ikariam justice. Its definitely a different game here as opposed to oGame, so hopefully a different merge.
      TWO MERGES HAVE OCCURRED ON IKARIAM ALREADY.

Merges on Ikariam have been different to merges on OGame. Legal multis (up to 9 accounts each player per server) became a thing. There were multiple server merge targets so if you had more then 9 accounts for each server you were already cheating so it wasn't an issue. If you were ona parent server you got screwed and lots of people felt the injustice of that and quit the game before the merge dates occurred. Anybody merging into a target server gota free teleport for each of their colonies and all of their donations got transported as a donation fund to the new server. the issue there was that the mine and mill upgrades were not instant. the first few were rapid but at a point a round level 15-20 of the mines mills they hita 12 hour per upgrade limit. So people with mine sand mills in the 40's on their orginal server had to wait the full 2 weeks or more before they were back to mine and mill levels that they had before the merge. But it was also ina limited 2 week to get rid of your donations and if you didn't then hard luck on you, all excess not spent would be lost. the second merge they extended that time a week or so which was still barely enough time for me and my friends witha collective donation pool of over 2 billion resources to 2 islands, one of those islands being better developed then the others, and even then we lost 2 sawmill levels because a friend had ghosted several years back and with him over 50 million resources in donations. So basically if you were on the parent server everyone else was merging to you didn'6t get your donations to apool or a free teleport to, you know, consolidate now scattered positions for accounts and alliances fractured over years of gameplay and players quitting, but anyone comingf in was able toc reate solid alliance bastions of fully sealed islands. So, multple people for both merges on the target servers, left before the merges occurred. If they merge again and Ny is not a parent server then I'll leave and my few friends left will also leave, because we now have over 2.5 billion in donations to 2 islands and there's simply not enough time in the current model to accommodate us. Instant mine and mill upgrades from the donation pool would fix this issue entirely.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

• New

1.) Boreas isn’t Ny. It’s so many more player in any then Boreas so that statement is irrelevant

2.) we are speaking of a merge so that we have more interaction with other players and more people to fight. We don’t play for donation scores like you and your bob the builder players do. Farms aren’t welcome here

"I don't know about you guys. It's been my goal since the start of epsilon to kill the server.I enjoy bullying the little guys into inactive status.. pillagin the bigger guys into crying to their alliances, and they quit too. The only rule that has ever applied is "last man standing wins" I intend to win"
    • New

I'm not a farm, I know how to build but I know how to fight, I just don't give a damn about what you 'fighter only' players think as far as fighting only being relevant if you fight all the time or care to post it on the boards. Which I don't.

To Ny not being relevant, it IS relevant.

When Ikariam has merged previously, they have merged EVERY SINGLE SERVER, and they did it on EVERY DOMAIN worldwide, not just in the U.S.

So pretending like my opinions mean nothing here is showing how out of touch you actually are. More important you didn't read any of my response as very little of it was Ny specific.

To you talking about a merge so you have more interaction with other players - why don't you start accounts on older servers instead of on new servers that pop up, Boreas came after the merges and was a new server post merges. You had the option to play on one of the larger parent servers but you chose to go to a server which, based on server player patterns of the past decade readily available, was going to cut down on player base size relatively quickly. So straight off the bat it was a player choice knowing that this was likely going to happen.

Second, you are a pretty big hypocrite here - you tell me my opinion and my approach to the game (which you clearly don't understand fully) is irrelevant but you want a merge to increase interaction with players. How about, instead of dismissing players that play different to you, you realise that their opinions are equally valid and that interaction isn't an issue when you bottle yourself away to just your own little coterie of players.

omixgodlydemon wrote:

• New

I’m in Ny. I’ve been in Ny since before mergers. I’m on both sides. The new and old servers. What I was saying was I can almost garuantee 99% of the people here could care less about your donations and how merging messes up donations. I’ve played in beta also

• New

EVERY SERVER MERGED ON EVERY DOMAIN BOTH TIMES MERGES OCCURRED.

GAMEFORGE WILL NOT PANDER TO YOUR IDIOCY BY MERGING A HANDFUL OF SERVERS ONLY THEY WILL MERGE ALL SERVERS AGAIN WHEN THEY DEEM IT NEEDED.

TILL THEN, SPEND MONEY TO SUPPORT THE GAME, OR SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT.

omixgodlydemon wrote: