Pinned Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

Well, ive noticed including on the other boards that there have been a lot of discussions about which ones are the best islands to start on. Some say its crystal, some say its wine, some say marble.

Let this thread be the official discussion and poll for that.
    And this also may serve as a basis for players and help them decide what to colonize next.

You may post your discussions here and what to colonize on what stage of the game.

Also, please avoid spam posts like "Sulfur!", "Marble ftw!" and other posts like that.
  • It has to be marble. I mean, some people have two, three, or more marble colonies, and they STILL don't have enough marble for all their needs. Add in that early on you can sell marble for vastly inflated prices, which adds to your income, and still have enough for early upgrades. Getting the jump on a marble colony is a HUGE help, personally speaking. It keeps the wall up, it ensures a steady stream of settlers, and it's useful for upgrading the baracks to get the better troops. Granted, you have to either trade marble for sulfer or buy sulfer on the market, but with the income from selling marble, that usually isn't a problem. Lastly, a marble colony is usually the first one obtained if you don't start on a marble colony, and sometimes even if you do start on one. All this added together, I would say, makes marble the most sought after initial colony.
  • Wine allows you to grow faster (hence more income faster) and everybody needs marble. Crystal is probably by far the worst to start out on.

But think about sulfur. With sulfur, you have unlimited access to everything else :D I'm #27 high score on Epsilon and I've neither bought, nor sold any resources at all. I've never run out. My first two colonies were marble on the same island. From there, I plan on colonizing glass, then wine.
  • IMO its crystal, starting on a crystal island allows you to get a jump on expansion which leads to another colony. Sure marble is in great need but not early on, if you can start on crystal and then colonize marble you will be in great shape.
  • I have one marble colony and one wine colony. My wine is the one that has to be worked most because you're always in constant need of it. If it runs out your citizens will start to leave. I really don't see why marble colonies are so envied. I have a level 16 colony a 15 and 14, and I rarely use as much marble as wine.

I also have a crystal colony. I guess crystal is important also, but later on you will have all research finished and may find your crystal colony useless.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Talkiestwinner ().

• i started on a crystal but seeing how much marble is taken for every building except the academy, I would have to say that. Me being a person with 5 cities 2 of them being marble.
  • RE: Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

Although marble is important, because it's needed for all the buildings except Academy. I feel a crystal island is the best. You'll be able to increase research in Academy. Which will allow you to quickly colonize a marble island.
    It is better to die following your own way, than to live following someone else's.
    ~*Lady Raven*~
  • I think all luxury goods should be appraised respectively.

marble - Structural development
    wine - Economic development
    crystal- Technological development
    sulfur - Military Development

But, in the case of a starting resource, I would go for marble next to colonize on a wine, sulfur and crystal island. :)
  • I think marble is the best because you need them for building. You get 50 each luxury goods for free after building the warehouse which means you can get up to Lvl 4 Academy even without additional crystal. But town walls start needing marble by Lvl 2, so at 50 marble (without anyone selling in the market), it would be hard to expand anything else since the other buildings also need marble at around Lvl 3 or 4.
    As my memory rests but never forgets what I lost, wake me up when September ends.....

Sig By: Keteri
  • each has there place. ex: on epsilon i started on wine, i now have an abundance of it with not much of a demand. i created my 2nd on marble, i can always use more. i haven't seen any crystal available, so my academies can only do so much. i'm also finding it difficult to get hold of sulfur, which i need to attack and defend (i attacked an inactive that ended up coming back and they've attacked me 3 times, i let it slide the 1st time, but now it calls for payback)...later when i have more colonies that are larger they will need more wine and crystal i can use for upgrades even after my academies are leveled really high. if you don't attack much or get attacked sulfur will have less use, but i've found some of the newer newbs to be a lil reckless with who they attack (why else attack someone with at least double your score)
  • Marble is always the best because marble is always the most required, the most scarce, the most difficult to get at, the most expensive in trading, the most readily used up, and I could go on about other ways it's the most bestest best of the best of all bests that have ever been bested by bester other bests.

wow I must be really tired to say something stupid like that XD

Ehem.

But seriously.

-----
    Wine is replaceable with a high level of museum, tavern, and cultural treaties.

But no matter how much wine you have, you can't replace it for your town hall to boost max population.

-----
    Sulfur, while not totally replaceable, since slingers suck and ships all take sulfur, still requires marble to use to upgrade your town's barracks and shipyard, thus making sulfur useless without marble.

And although sulfur cannot be replaced, it is borderline useless without marble to make your wall better for defense. You'll either have a huge army that you fear sending out in case of enemy attack, or a huge army that just gets wiped out every attack without the marble-expensive walls, or the higher population (town hall again) to support the cost of your army.

-----
    Crystal Glass isn't replaceable, and surprisingly makes one of the few buildings that doesn't require marble in huge quantities, your academy. But what good is getting that ultimate high end research completed when you have no marble to build your suped up high-end buildings?

Even though crystal glass is a must in some cases, ultimately it's only a tool used to make marble work better or allow you to use marble in new ways. There is almost nothing in research that actually gives you a benefit unrelated to marble in some way. New troops require higher barraks, new buildings to be built, lower building costs to save marble, better population boosts to save marble again on your town hall costs...

-----
    -----
    I can tell by the way each reply is getting progressively longer that I'm probably rambling by now, but the fact remains.

Anyone that voted anything other than marble as the best island, is either too new to realize the desperate needs for marble, or already has 3 or 4 marble islands or is in some other way deprived of the resource they claim to be so great.

That, or they're just picking one at random or that they hate, just to skew the results.

Small edit:
    There are a few comments I can agree to above saying crystal glass is a good starting island.

But read the title of the question. "Which island is the best" not "which island is best to start on".

Each of these people who've said crystal is the best all immediately say afterwards "because I can get expansion and go get a marble island".

Which means although they like crystal, they still vote marble as at least a tie since their sole goal of having crystal is so they can end up go getting marble anyhow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kayi ().

• I voted marble; If you start on an island where the other inhabitants are ALSO community oriented, you can progress REALLY fast, and get to two colonies in no time.

Crystal will progress you toward expansion faster, and then you will need marble.

Sulfur is nice, but you have no way of upping your happiness very early on without trade to merit the military bonus you would be receiving.

Wine is well rounded, but in the absence of trade, you'll need to go marble->crystal next. I would say wine is 2nd best to start with.
  • I'm partial to my wine island...I agree with nearly everything that's been said about marble, but if I want marble (or crystal, or sulfur, or)...I can go get a colony for same.

What good is a building spree if I can't maintain my populace?
  • Originally posted by Kayi
    Crystal Glass isn't replaceable, and surprisingly makes one of the few buildings that doesn't require marble in huge quantities, your academy. But what good is getting that ultimate high end research completed when you have no marble to build your suped up high-end buildings?

As i stated above if you start on a glass island then you can push to expansion and get a marble island colonized very quickly, in the early stages you can trade you glass for marble very easy. Not to mention the jump you get on troops and ships, which will make it easier for you to pillage which is very important in the early stages.

Originally posted by Kayi
    Even though crystal glass is a must in some cases, ultimately it's only a tool used to make marble work better or allow you to use marble in new ways. There is almost nothing in research that actually gives you a benefit unrelated to marble in some way. New troops require higher barraks, new buildings to be built, lower building costs to save marble, better population boosts to save marble again on your town hall costs...

Yes but your marble is pointless if you have not researched anything, you can build a high level barracks but its pointless if you cant build a high troop...why build a level 16 barracks if you cant build steam giants? TO produce your troops faster, sure but that's not advancing you in the game....marble is in many ways useless with out glass.
  • Based on my experience, i now know that marble will be the hardest to mine even in late game.

I started with marble and gave me a boost on upgrades, after that i went for wine since i will need to fill housing space fast, then i went for crystal since it'll help me in upgrading my palace and GR's in the future, plus knowing that the new patch is coming, im already starting to upgrade stuff in the workshop.

Next time if i make an account on a new server, ill try rise's opinion. I agree that when you start on crystal, you will have a boost researching on expansion and then go for marble next.
  • well, I have to choose, but i think i would like to vote twice, once for marble, which you need for building your city (and building your colonies, another reason why it's easy to start with marble)
    and once for wine, since it increases your income a lot (although i know you need marble to upgrade your Tavern...)

actually, i would love an island with both resources on it, but i think that will never happen...
    Originally by VeronikaViking
    Law: In any situation, Hardstyle will swoop in and make some self-important proclamation about how he and his people will "handle" a situation. (and then all that ever gets done is more self-important proclamations).
  • I think it all depends on how you play the game.

But I do have 2 marble colonies, so that's a top priority.

I do love the wine colonies, though. Let's say, hypothetically, you reach the "end of the game," i.e. can't upgrade anything else without waiting a year and all research is completed, what resource(s) will you need? Sulfur if you're the military type and wine is you're the economic type. I'm an economic type, but at the "end of the game" I'd switch to all military.

Sulfur wins.
  • This whole thread is a bit........misnamed, in my opinion.

Official Discussion: Which island is the best

There's no such thing as "the best". You have "the easiest" and "the hardest".

Well, easy = easy, but hard gives more satisfaction when you succeed. Do you only play a game on "easy/rookie/beginner" mode?

So my vote: All equal. It depends on how you use them.
  • Marble. I started a new game on Epsilon. I was given a crystal island. I built everything up that I could, then I sat there for 2 days unable to do anything without more marble. No one had any for sale. I sent messages to people on marble islands offering a trade. I posted a [Need] in the forum. Nothing for 2 days.

I would have upgraded my trading post so I could search further out - but it required 30+ marble. I sat for two days with only 7 marble.

(thank goodness someone finally put some up for sale - I didn't even look at their price, I just bought!)
  • Why didn't you build a colony? Started one game with a sulfur colony expanded to a marble colony without buying any marble. Starting out on marble is easier because of building and because already got steady supply of marble when expanding.