Pinned Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

Stone got my vote since you need it to build most everything, and seems to be in the highest demand at my trading post. I can always find the other resources by offering stone, but do not always have buyers for my Crystal or Wine, and never have takers for my Sulfur.

Originally posted by jeepkreep
    Stone got my vote since you need it to build most everything, and seems to be in the highest demand at my trading post. I can always find the other resources by offering stone, but do not always have buyers for my Crystal or Wine, and never have takers for my Sulfur.

your sulfur will have a premium price after 0.3
  • Sulfur is deffinately going to be the new number 1 or 2 island, maybe number 3. I wish i had one ;( [SIZE=4]stupid update with it's stupid changes and stupid stuff[/SIZE] :grml:
  • I will prefer to sit on my wine and marble towns and be content to force my niehgbors to buy my expensive goods and sell theirs off at 20 gold apiece.I still love wine.It could be possible to have all towns of wine on a single island,but it would take massive amounts of time,resources,and patience,but you would never have to ship wine around ever again.
  • Originally posted by Excaliber717
    If I had to name one, it would have to be wine. Its the only resource I couln't play without. Without it, my towns would be almost deserted.

Wine does you no good until you can research to use it, and without crystal, getting that far along in the research tree can take days. Wine is an important resource to have, but I would say it is the absolute worst choice as a starting city, right behind sulphur. Add to that the fact that you can't trade without research either, and coupled that you won't be able to see very far for using the trading post once you do research it, you wont be able to trade very easily either. In your first city research is the most important priority, and glass lets you expand your academies so you can research faster. I still say that glass is the best starting resource.
  • Glass is not a good starting resource.I landed on a wine island to start out,and then quickly outpaced my islanders who hadn't landed on it to begin with.Glass may help with the research,but after that and upgrades,glass is useless.In 3.0,glass won't be used for the GR or Palace,so no luck there either.Besides,whats this "it takes days to research without crystal".Well,I guess that me having nearly ever research done without a crystal city slowed me down big time huh?

Originally posted by jeepkreep

Yes, I totally agree with you. I experience the same thing while I am playing ikariam. Since you always need marbles to build more buildings, in order to increase your total points in the game. Another thing I would like to mentioned is that I always find Marble islands with Temple of Gaia always got colonized the quickest!

Therefore, we can see that Marbles are the most important resource in Ikariam.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Yo Peacegirl ().

• I cant really say that ANY is the best island. It depends mostly where you are in the game. Crystal starts you off with research to expand more quickly, then marble becomes more important as you upgrade buildings, then you need wine to maintain your citizenry, then you need crystal again to expand research and upgrade military units. Sulfur is probably the LEAST important as it is only used in the primary building of military units and u need only keep enough on hand to replenish your troops after combat and it is usually available fairly cheap through your merchant.
  • Well,every island has its pros and cons,but generaly i can say that the best islands are wine/marble...First i thought marble is the best,but now my mind changed because when i started on wine,it ensured me FAST growth...anyway, im still thinking marble is good,so im somewhere between marble and wine.

I personally would have to say wine.. Not only does it make the citizens HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! But it has an ecellent sale rate. And if you manipulate the market correctly you can sell it for just as much if not more than the usual marble sale rate..
  • aright so I'm thinking marble is but then again I'm not the builder type I pillage my hearts content, but sulfur is just so you know useless I mean I trade for it about 3 times a week, but when you have a sulfur island it just sits there you know what I mean?. I crystal is just about the worse resource the only way you really use it is for the GR/palace expansions, and as for using it for research many people don't care much about research at all.
    So my vote is wine since when used in newer servers it sells like hot cakes which greatly improves your economy it pays for itself and not to mention the taverns which makes your population grow quicker which means more 4 gold an hour. Oh sure you can build a museum but it cost so much more to expand than then the tavern and it gives you less happyness (being 50 per lvl while wine is 80)
  • Me: My starting island was Crystal, and my first colony was Marble. That combination gave me a very fast-track start as an inexperienced player/experienced gamer. Having played the game awhile, though, I'm inclined to say marble might be easier for a complete novice to deal with, even though I haven't actually had a marble start, myself.

Context: In the context of "I have an island. what is the best island to exand to" (which may be the most useful context for this thread, since nobody picks where they start), the no-brainer anwer is that if you don't start on a marble island, then making your first colony on a marble island will often be your best move.

[There may not be a "best" overall choice, though. If everyone takes this poll to heart, in the next iteration, Crystal may become the new Sulfur, allowing saavy players ample opportunity to profit. Also the increased cost of unit upgrades will be especially significant on future new servers, less so where a lot of people already have run through most of the tech trees.]

Style: A lot depends on the type of game you play. If you start on a Sulfur island, and are a builder at heart, then that could be a very poor opening position for you, given your preferred playing style.

Ambrosia: Maybe consider: an Ambrosia option to allow a player to choose a specific island combination start (maybe a base weighted by the perceived utility of the resource, with a modifier determined by the number of positions on such islands open in play--this cost configuartion would be situationally dynamic, since new islands are periodically opened and new sites become available when people drop).

Wine and v3: I remain unconvinced that Wine will be significantly more valuable in the long run in v3. Once the caps are off Museums, it should theoretically be possible to significantly reduce the importance of Wine over time, if you want to play that way and pay the price. Also the increase in Crystal requirements for upgrades will bolster that resource and extend the length of time it's relevant. I would expect, long run, that these two will net out and be equally useful.

Conclusion: Overall, I think an experienced player/experienced gamer will find the "best island" issue less relevant than the challenge of fitting the most efficient play style to whatever starting island they're dealt.

Thanks for a useful thread.

[Another fruitful thread might parse the island combinations--is a Hermes/Wine better than a Colossus/Marble, for example. Is a 10% resource bonus better than a mix--are all 10% resource types better than any mix? If I was a little better at setting up polls I might indulge, but instead am merely throwing out this idea for the more ambitious.]
  • At the end of the day, the resource that will be most sought after would be wine and marble, the reason being Wine is a consumable whereas most of the other resources type has specific usage (Crystal Research/Upgrade and Sulfur Army et al).

This might change for next release because of more of the Crystal and Sulfur requirement for some of the buildings as well as increase military presence, but in the end, if there is an end to the upgrade of building (there probably isn't), then the only other resource that will still be needed would be purely wine, as it's consumed, so there is a actual way to recycle the resource rather than been stored and continue to grow.

There has always been a problem of multi player games' economy, at some point you are going to reach certain 'cap' that will mean that you no longer needing that type of resource to grow, at which point the resource start to devalue as more players reach that cap, the consumption option is one way to keeping that resource valuable continuously.