Pinned Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• Really, i voted marble because in the market in my area, nothing goes as high as it poeple are offering to pay 60 gold a piece for a 1000 pieces and no one is selling it to them.
  • I started on crystal, moved to wine, then marble. Seemed to be a good progression to me. Research, growth, expansion. I don't think i'd change a thing.

It seems to me I have followed the crowd.
    The question is which island is best, not which island is best to start on.
    As pointed out above.

I now agree with the rock/paper/scissors opinion.
    Maybe even which came first the chicken, the egg, Colonel Sanders, or deep fat fryers?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vonster ().

• Anyone else getting the feeling that all the resources are looking like a game of rock/paper/scissors? You can't do much without marble, but without crystal you may not have the research to build or upgrade. Without wine you can't sustain your population, which in turn would make it difficult to support an army that could defend what you've got. Seems they're all equally important and dependant on one another. I think I'd like to change my vote from marble to all equally important.
  • So I know I am going against the popular oppinion, but I started on a sulfur island and I can not imagine anything else being as good if you are on a new server.... It allows you to quickly upgrade your military and pillage for resources and then your second town can go marble.

If I was on a server that has been around for awhile I think marble would be best as you can trade it and upgrade. If you are on alpha server and trying to build by pillaging I can not see it working very well as everyone around you is going to be way ahead.

I made the mistake of getting 1 of each resource which I would not do again...crystal and wine you can pillage or buy. I am about to plant my 6th town and it is defenitely going to me marble which is going to give me 3 marble and 1 of each other resource. I would rather have 5 marble towns:)
  • Having read Rise's latest post, I must agree, crystal is definately necessary.

But I still feel it's #2 to marble. A small amount of crystal and enough time will unlock all techs, while no matter how long you sit on a small amount of marble it won't unlock higher units, bigger town hall, etc.

I still feel marble is the best, but I will agree that crystal is, in some ways, a fairly good 2nd.

Sulfur still required for army, wine still good for boosting population (which can be done without wine, making wine the least important island / worst island, despite it's obvious advantages).

But marble is still the best.
  • We will agree to disagree :P

i feel that getting a 2nd colony up and running ASAP is the best strat that is the main reason i feel glass is better than marble to begin on. In the long run, as i know have 5 colonies 3 of which are marble, marble is the most important resource, but as this topic discusses only where to begin im must still side with my glass :D
  • I can agree to that Rise.

For the ability to hop to a marble island quickly, and considering starting islands only, I offer an agreement that Crystal can be as good as marble.

Wine and Sulfur are still among the worst islands to start on unless you have a very excellent trade network already established in the area you start at so you can get the necessary marble and crystal you will require.
  • I think it totally depends on how you want to play the game.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> It would be nice to choose your starting island, because everyone plays the game differently

I really agree that crystal is a HUGE asset in the game, not just in the academy, but in order to upgrade equipment for troops. But that's my personal opinion because I just happen to love to pillage and destroy. MUAHHAHAHA
  • I would sat the best is marble because every thing requires it after a certain lvl.
    Crystal is a great island to start on since it lets you research faster.
    Sulfur is worthless for me since it is so cheap to buy and pillage.
    Wine is nice to have since it makes your people happy and it is easier to have your own and ship it to your colonies. The happier the more growth. The more growth the more money to buy trade ships to fill with loot.
    I have 3 marble cities and I still could use more.
    Yes once upgrades work my crystal will be more important.
  • Originally posted by Rise
    We will agree to disagree :P

i feel that getting a 2nd colony up and running ASAP is the best strat that is the main reason i feel glass is better than marble to begin on. In the long run, as i know have 5 colonies 3 of which are marble, marble is the most important resource, but as this topic discusses only where to begin im must still side with my glass :D

If you go by the poll, this thread is not about what is the best to start on, its the best in general. when it comes to wanting to research quickly and get going faster, you are right, crystal is best to start on (what happened to me in alpha). However, I started on a marble island in gamma, and within a week or 2 I already had 3 colonies. My towns aren't huge yet, because I have been dealing GR's and wanna get all that down first before my towns swell to being huge. But with the towns being as small as they are, I am still outta marble a lot. In all honesty though, I do not think that starting on a crystal island lets you expand so much more quickly than any other island, but it does let you research so much more quickly with everything else.
  • RE: Official Discussion: Which island is the best?

Originally posted by Cash
    Well, ive noticed including on the other boards that there have been a lot of discussions about which ones are the best islands to start on. Some say its crystal, some say its wine, some say marble.

i just based my thoughts off what Cash said this topic was about.

Originally posted by Merlyn In all honesty though, I do not think that starting on a crystal island lets you expand so much more quickly than any other island, but it does let you research so much more quickly with everything else.

You cant expand without research(expansion tech)...i think i missed your point.
  • I made a post earlier stating my opinion that marble was best to start.

I understand the benefits of getting crystal first (Getting expansion). But without actually crunching the numbers, My feeling is that starting on marble will make you better off in the long run. Upgrading your mills and warehouses protect you from sulfur islands, and increase your totals. Increased walls increase the defense of your sling men without crystal, and the long-run game doesn't need as much wine to sustain it (Until of course you get like 3 colonies, in which case, i think you better have one, or at least really good museums).

Overall, I agree with nemesis, Each resource has it's own startup play style that leads to a hoarding endgame. But if you are considering starting on an island that is not already inhabited, then increasing your own mills/quarries/vineyards a few levels should take priority over expansion. And since mill is the easiest to level up, that surplus wood can go either A) to your military B) toward your facilities or C) to your resource nodes! Marble helps the first two, and only wine has the strongest claim at increasing your resource node productivity, given no limitations.

I still believe marble is the best to start out with. Slow and steady wins the race, hmm?
  • Originally posted by Rise
    IMO its crystal, starting on a crystal island allows you to get a jump on expansion which leads to another colony. Sure marble is in great need but not early on, if you can start on crystal and then colonize marble you will be in great shape.

That has been my experience as well. I grew faster than any members of my alliance and I credit that fact largely to starting on crystal. What little marble I needed at the beginning was easy to buy from the market. Additionally, crystal is great for boosting troop strength without the need of extra sulfur.

I went Crystal, Wine, then Marble. I had a 1 for 1 deal with someone on marble and I found they needed more wine than I needed marble.
  • Surprisingly, I'd say sulfur isn't as bad as it sounds. Although it's cheap, and you can't trade it for profit very well, new people don't usually have a good trading post in the first place. Sulfur allows you to build up troops and pillage others for supplies, and it deters pillagers somewhat, so you have a smaller chance of being farmed. Then again, sulfur is easy to buy.
    Marble sells high, but you don't need marble for lower level buildings, and new people don't usually have a very good trading post, typically, they have a one island radius, meaning the only trade offers are from the same marble island. Usually people on a marble island already don't need to buy as much marble as other islands. You can't use wine until you get far enough on research and create a tavern. Crystal, you need to research glass/ espionage for it to be of any use. By then, you can already colonize.

The post was edited 1 time, last by davenport ().

• I started on marble. Your starting island affects your strategy in the beginning.
    Marble building
    Crystal research so you can get a marble colony
    Sulfur pillage islanders to their doom
    Wine sell
    Later into the game they all are very important. I'm still regretting the fact that I don't have a sulfur island.
  • I went with wine because you could buy what you need for marble at the begining of the game and it really helps to have a steady supply of wine because I find myself needing that more than marble at the stage of the game when you jsut got your second colony(which prob was marble)