New Boards Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Hi,

You can find new board on address: https://forum.ikariam.gameforge.com/
    Please register there to continue with usage.

Old forum is in read only mode and will stay like that for some time

Ikariam team

• New Boards Discussion

Hi all! This is is to discuss the upcoming move to a new board, if you have any questions or concerns!

Do not meddle with dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
      :turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • any reason why accounts won't be brought over ? i mean really, importing account info is a simple thing, so why is it not being done here ?

or is it a question of "won't" versus "can't" (or is GF really that lazy..)

personally, i think it's a bit crappy not do bring over accounts at least.. threads and such can be copied and pasted by the players, so that's a simple thing to understand why.
    • Won't. (And not us as a team won't, that's been decided higher up the food chain). Has to do also with the way those accounts are tied to things like threads and the way that creates board lag. Helps with the "exactly how inactive should someone be to not be ported over to new board" issue as well as the time and resources to actually do the moving. Stinks a bit for those of us posting since 2008/09 :) because we have a lot of memories and history (and impressive post counts!) but it's not something we have a vote in.

:turkeydance: I'm just a small turkeh, how much trouble could I get into? :turkeydance:
    • It seems the answer to this is no. I recommend thinking about which threads those are so that we can work out a list of things that would be nice/good to copy over.

• i figured it was "wont". would have surprised me considerably if it was the other way around to be honest. and yeah i understand how that works too, accounts are tied to certain things, and accounts go inactive, but still, for some of us, we kind of like seeing those names even if they aren't around, hoping they will come back some day.

but the whole tied to account thing is actually very lame.... if it's all databased, it's simple to "untie" those links, and export account info "only", so makes me wonder how badly they do things now on their backend... like seriously.....
    • I guess I'll have to grab a screenshot of my post count... *sigh*

is this going to be for all of the Ikariam communities, or just the US? I noticed an ingame alert on Alpha here, but my uk account didn't receive any kind of notice. And I imagine those people would be even angrier than we are if they lose their histories....

Why is GF doing this? Didn't we just switch to a new set of boards not too long ago? Not that I'm a fan of the new boards, but still. Most of the history is available in some kind of format.

sig by Checkmate

I dug my key into the side
      Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive,
      Carved my name into his leather seats...
      I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
      Slashed a hole in all four tires...
      Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats
    • JuneBarcarolle wrote:

is this going to be for all of the Ikariam communities, or just the US? I noticed an ingame alert on Alpha here, but my uk account didn't receive any kind of notice. And I imagine those people would be even angrier than we are if they lose their histories....
      All. I'm a bit spoiled that I can do both; not all communities have that option. So if it's not been done there yet, it's not because they don't care, it's likely the right person wasn't awake at the time. Just thought for those that always check here it'd be nice to be notified of upcoming change so we can all prepare for it.

JuneBarcarolle wrote:

Why is GF doing this? Didn't we just switch to a new set of boards not too long ago? Not that I'm a fan of the new boards, but still. Most of the history is available in some kind of format.
      So I can't really get into specifics but primarily the reasons are security and then support (of board software). I know that's frustratingly vague, but that's the crux of it.

• This hint was posted on the uk boards and might be useful for people here, especially if there are any wars going on.

Antikythera wrote:

When the current boards enters read-only mode (14.02.2019) go to the thread you want to keep, make sure all spoilers are visible, and print it into a PDF file and attach it to your first post in your new thread on the new boards.

sig by Checkmate

• so,

as far as i'm concerned, GF is doing it's usual thing and not showing any respect towards its clientele and loyal Ika gamers, and this is their way of saying "too bad, sucks to be you" by not bothering to transfer the accounts at the very least.

so really, what's the point of making a new account, if this crap is going to happen again in the future, when they use some new excuse to change things and screw the players yet again ?

honestly, if they won't transfer accounts, then there is no point in registering to the new boards. period.
    • GF won't bother hearing us, it's their business and it's part of their business not minding our business. lol They certainly have no care for everybody their players who've been playing here ever since and chose to stay even the silly game rules and changes gf's made over the past years.

What's the point of talking when they just don't care. They move coz they rule and they are good as sh!t.

Let it bleed...
    • After the merger from Delta I haven't really been active on the board.
      Last time I was on here it looked like a lot of activity dropped off by other players too.

Keeping that in mind I think starting a new board is actually a terrible idea.. I don't know the exact reasons why they're doing this.

I predict even less activity on the new board, it will be a long and difficult rebuild.

Compounding one mistake with another is the removal of the old board, There is a lot of history and good information still contained on this board and when it's gone you've lost it.

I won't be registering on the new board, The game feels like it's dying, the board feels like it's already dead.. swapping the corpse out with a fresh one.. pointless.

Good luck ya'll
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Carsten van Husen: We employee some of the most skilled howler monkeys bandanna's can buy!; Sure they have an unnatural fascination with their own excrement and a compulsion to throw it, But we're still the most innovative simian based company in the industry.
    • So I went and asked if I could get into these details, but it is happening to all Ikariam communities AND they will all share one board. Some of you know how databases work, but others may not and basically each board user has a unique ID #. The problem is that ID# is the same on all boards (but different users). Basically - the board will not know how to put two different users with the same ID# onto the new board. There isn't a tool made, or people with any time to make them, to reassign those ID#'s so that they are unique for all Ikariam boards.

• In this comments I see "blah blah blah, its stupid, blah, blah blah, I won't register there". That's good news, because if you won't register there, then there will be less stupid and more good.
      Only bad think that I see from this board merge is those who register first will have chance to take username (in case if in different communities boards there are players with exact username).
    • turkeh wrote:

So I went and asked if I could get into these details, but it is happening to all Ikariam communities AND they will all share one board. Some of you know how databases work, but others may not and basically each board user has a unique ID #. The problem is that ID# is the same on all boards (but different users). Basically - the board will not know how to put two different users with the same ID# onto the new board. There isn't a tool made, or people with any time to make them, to reassign those ID#'s so that they are unique for all Ikariam boards.

By one board, do you mean that ALL communities would be sharing the same board? Kind of like merging all of the communities into one board?

sig by Checkmate

• Turkeh wrote:

So I went and asked if I could get into these details, but it is happening to all Ikariam communities AND they will all share one board. Some of you know how databases work, but others may not and basically each board user has a unique ID #. The problem is that ID# is the same on all boards (but different users). Basically - the board will not know how to put two different users with the same ID# onto the new board. There isn't a tool made, or people with any time to make them, to reassign those ID#'s so that they are unique for all Ikariam boards.
      they may be unique ID#'s, but a simple script can be made to identify all the ID's, and then replace them with new ones without changing anything else, or impacting the rest of the records. considering these guys live in databases, i find it puzzling they're making it out like it's a big thing that needs manpower to do. where i used to work, we had the same issue, and on a much larger scale, and we managed to take care of it in about 2 hours if you inlcude the time it took to write the DB script to fix it....
    • Tbh I do feel that less people are going to be inclined to participate in the boards, especially if they will have to register all over again. These days there are less players participating. Mostly due to the steady decline of the game and players. I consider myself mostly retired... but still check in on things randomly.

I do get it though... if all communities are going to be combined. But to lose all this history here... Will suck. Also troubling is if players want to register only to find the name they are going by to be taken.

Thanks to Svana for the sig